Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely high data usage

Irkas
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello

im using iPhone with currently iOS 15.1 

I found very high data usage.

I turned off all settings what using data and still after few days all my data limit was consumed.

I talked with Apple customer service, they checked my system and confirmed that everything is good from iOS settings.

Early when I had installed iOS 14.x, my data plan was ended data available even when I had all settings turned on.

40 REPLIES 40

Parkbench13

Hi there did you ever get your extremely high data usage issue resolved I'm experiencing the same issue and have been experiencing the same issue for  more than a year now. As in using over 30 to 40 gigs a month every month changing my plan a week and a half to two weeks after I got the 20 gig plan because I ran out. Please let me know if you came to any resolution with your issue as I could use some help too thank you

@Irkas  thanks for updating us and glad issue is finally resolved!!!

yes, restore iCloud means bringing back the "junk" from before  LoL

try to install some data tracker and hopefully you get a better idea if it ever happen again.  You can try My Data Manager.   I also suggest you to regularly reset the built in Celluar Data tracker on iOS and you have another source of tracking if you need.

Irkas

Hello

Finally I reinstalled ios

I restored data from iCloud, but unfortunately data using was the same 

I installed iOS and setup as new device and it help

All data usage backed to normal, honestly I don’t know what eats data earlier

i installed all app and leave phone settings without any modification after new iOS was installed. 

thank you for all comments and suggestions 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Irkas 

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

@Camera4617 wrote:

OP doesn't have any tracking app currently installed so it doesn't matter that iOS usage was not reset. He can do it now and it will act the same as any tracking app. 

haha.. i will prefer a 3rd party app.. more powerful.

But.. OP said he will "try reinstalling iOS, setup as new phone and see what happens", I guess that will like reset the counter as well.

@Irkas  after you re-setup the phone, please check daily on : Settings > Cellular Data

E-iPhone_Data.png

It will show you how much data used altogether and how much data used by each app.  You can toggle any of them off after.     

Also, check data at My Account and compare them daily and then you will know what's wrong

E-MyAcc-$15Plan Add-ons.png

@Irkas wrote:

Oh!! Really?

fortunate I don’t use PC optimum 

but is good catch.

I’m interesting how many app use data without our permission 

Hi @Irkas 

Many (probably most) people don't realize what they're agreeing to when they download an app.

There are usually terms and conditions and app preferences which include all sorts of access to your device.   I'd say 90+% of people simply tap 'accept' or 'agree' and proceed with app installation without fully considering what they're 'agreeing' to.

It's a good idea to go through all your apps (the free ones especially that are added after acquiring a device) to determine what kind of access they require for use.  Only enable what is necessary for the app to function for what you need from that app.  

Good Luck!!!

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Irkas wrote:

Hello

im using iPhone with currently iOS 15.1 

I found very high data usage.

I turned off all settings what using data and still after few days all my data limit was consumed.

I talked with Apple customer service, they checked my system and confirmed that everything is good from iOS settings.

Early when I had installed iOS 14.x, my data plan was ended data available even when I had all settings turned on.

@Irkas 

If I understand correctly you didn't have the problem before the OS update?

Have you considered a factory reset to see if the problem is still there? (Don't reinstall backup, use the phone as barebone as possible for a while)

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@softech wrote:

@Camera4617 wrote:

@Irkas I don't think you need a special tracking app for it as iOS has it in the settings. I'm on 15.1 and have no issues. What does it say for usage in Settings - Cellular and scroll down to usage section? If you don't check that often, it doesn't reset by itself so just reset it (scroll all the way down) and then keep an eye on it. 

For iOS data tracking, it tracks from the last reset you do.  You can do this manually every month (or you might want to do it manually every 30 days to match PM's 30 days cycle)

It does good job if you keep an eye on it closely.  Problem is that it wont' does monthly reset for you and hence you cannot tell exactly how much data was used in the current month (because the number showing is everything from the last manual reset)

3rd party app tracker will reset it for you automatically and you can browser last couple month (cycle) usage easily.

OP doesn't have any tracking app currently installed so it doesn't matter that iOS usage was not reset. He can do it now and it will act the same as any tracking app. As for 30 days reset, I expect to find what is using data before that so it won't even matter. I'm not saying that installing an app is a bad thing, but I'm saying that iOS will do it anyway for this purpose. And finding a good app might be a challenge or even have to buy one.. 

@Irkas wrote:

I did keeping eye on this, and unfortunately it shows exactly what data was used. 
but I wasn’t using phone when I worked, all background synchronization was off. 
I’ll try reinstalling iOS, setup as new phone and see what happens 

thanks!

That's why I suggested you use some app to track it for you.  It will show you exactly what apps was using the data and how much.  

once you have an app installed , you might be want to check it daily to confirm what app was using data and how much was used in the previous day.

Also, Whatsapp is a good example.  Whatapp will try to sync/backup data whenever it is online.  Check the settings to see if it will do the same when using Mobile Data

@Camera4617 wrote:

@Irkas I don't think you need a special tracking app for it as iOS has it in the settings. I'm on 15.1 and have no issues. What does it say for usage in Settings - Cellular and scroll down to usage section? If you don't check that often, it doesn't reset by itself so just reset it (scroll all the way down) and then keep an eye on it. 

For iOS data tracking, it tracks from the last reset you do.  You can do this manually every month (or you might want to do it manually every 30 days to match PM's 30 days cycle)

It does good job if you keep an eye on it closely.  Problem is that it wont' does monthly reset for you and hence you cannot tell exactly how much data was used in the current month (because the number showing is everything from the last manual reset)

3rd party app tracker will reset it for you automatically and you can browser last couple month (cycle) usage easily.

Camera4617

@Irkas wrote:

I did keeping eye on this, and unfortunately it shows exactly what data was used. 

thanks!

Yeah, but it does say what app was using data or if it is System Services one.. So here you should be able to know what it is using data. 

@Irkas 

All of them if you don't turn background data usage off but I realize IPhones work differently than Android. Have you gone thru your daily usage pages to identify the approximate 2 daily 12 hour blocks of time your data usage was occurring? That may narrow down you identifying what the culprit is...? Luckily my main phone identifies daily and hourly screen time so I can correlate whether I am on mobile or wifi data for usage. I have all background data turned off and I dont actually use facebook for example on my phone ever. I check once every 3 months for about 10 minutes on my tablet yet the app uses mobile data.

Screenshot_20211105-203348.pngScreenshot_20211105-203419.pngScreenshot_20211105-203327.pngScreenshot_20211105-184847.pngScreenshot_20211105-203404.pngScreenshot_20211105-184903.png

Irkas

thanks!

Camera4617

Irkas

Oh!! Really?

fortunate I don’t use PC optimum 

but is good catch.

I’m interesting how many app use data without our permission 

Irkas

I’ll try switch phones for next time, thanks 

@Irkas 

Oh and another thing....check all your individual apps for their own settings. When pc optimum introduced video to their app early this year I was blowing thru data when I hadn't changed my habits. It wasn't until I realized the stupid how to make cupcakes videos were eating all my data when I signed in to check my offers or scan my app at the store that the videos would start consuming data hand over fist. Once I turned the video off (or you can set to play on wifi only) did my data usage go right back to normal.

21 min and 18 min.21 min and 18 min.

Irkas

All apps synchronization is off on cellular network, only wifi synchronization is on

@Irkas wrote:

I did it already, but still Dara is using

us there possible that us problem with iOS  15.1??

it thanks for info

@Irkas  never really heard of any issue, but not saying there isn't one.

I would see say it is more a device / setting than the software.

Are you able to put your SIM into another phone next time your plan renews to check the differences of data usages, just as a test.

Fount this article for tips on how data savings for iOS 15:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-15-settings-you-need-to-turn-off-now-to-save-money/

Irkas

I did it already, but still data is using

Is there possible that is problem with iOS  15.1??

thanks for information 

@Irkas 

Is your phone synced to your computer for photos etc.... anything along those lines? I used my photos app twice this month while on mobile data using 109mb in about 40 minutes. 

@Irkas wrote:

I using two plans 

one is 1 Gb from different carrier and 250 mb in Public 

And it’s happening in both carriers 

all data 1250 from both gone in few days 

is there any problems with iOS 15.1 ??

@Irkas 

Restrict background data for all iPhone apps
  1. Launch the Settings App from the home screen and tap General.
  2. Tap Background App Refresh, then choose Background App Refresh again.
  3. Choose to turn off background app refresh for all apps by selecting Off.

Irkas

Yes, probably I need download good data tracker app. 
setup it and maybe I’ll be able to figure out what is happening 

thank you everyone 

Irkas

I using two plans 

one is 1 Gb from different carrier and 250 mb in Public 

And it’s happening in both carriers 

all data 1250 from both gone in few days 

is there any problems with iOS 15.1 ??

@Irkas   Start using a data tracker and see what you find

did you ever turn on Mobile Data?  or you only turn it on when you need it?  if you turn on only when you need it, may i know what kind of app would be using the data?

For now, if you need extra data, you can buy 1GB data add-on for $15 or you can contact PM for early renewal with your current plan ($15?)   Please note you cannot renew your plan early, you need PM support assistance to do this.

@Irkas wrote:

Yes, but it’s enough data for me. 

@Irkas  Me too, I am on 250mb, as I am a low data user.

But in the new year I burned up a bit of my xmas freebees because I toggled wifi off, and forgot to toggle back on. 😕

Irkas

Yes, but it’s enough data for me. 

@Irkas 

250 or 500 mb is not that much data.  It can be used up fairly quickly. As mentioned above, check your usage history.  Some unexpected usage happened.  PM data tracker is usually fairly accurate.

@Irkas wrote:

Is stated all data used 

@Irkas  ah, yes, sure enough - no data left.

Next step I would recommend and look at your usage history. Especially if you just renewed within the last week, you should be able to see when this data was being used...large chunks or little bits here and there.

NOTE though, today's detail usage will not fully be posted until tomorrow morning. So you will likely not get the full usage listed for today yet.

I've used up a large chunk in one day when I forgot my wifi setting was turn off. It caught me by surprise, but these things do happen.

EDIT: you are on the $15 plan. You only have 250mb right? Or, did you get a special for 500mb somewhere along the way?

This smaller amounts of data IS quite easily used up if not very careful.

Irkas

4059FE2B-B7A3-4C37-A223-CF48D1160161.png

Is stated all data used

Need Help? Let's chat.