cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Sim Card?

Jay1993
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Public Mobile,

I'm nervous about ever losing my phone as it has all my work contact and phone numbers.

Is there a way to buy an extra sim card with the same phone number in the event that it does happen so I have a backup?

Jay

9 REPLIES 9

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@LEGO  @LurganIeUk Cloning sim card is illegal. It wouldn't give free service  Duplicates on network is bad. Your plann will get shut down.

Not my plan....was a sarcastic reply.  Cloning an IMEI number is illegal too. 

@LEGO  @LurganIeUk Cloning sim card is illegal. It wouldn't give free service  Duplicates on network is bad. Your plann will get shut down.

@LEGO wrote:

It is not possible, unless you clone your SIM card, but why would you need it if your account is compromised?

That will be a huge money maker. Numerous phones on one plan!!

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I would never keep my contacts on SiM for that reason cause it takes time to build good contacts collection. Keeping them in Google or some other cloud provider is the best (most convenient) option. If you don't want to do that for 'privacy' reasons, then there should be some option to export them into a file and save somewhere. 

@Jay1993 

You can save most of your phone "data/info" to your google account ( including contacts). Order a back up sim card or two from Canadian Cell Supplies ( usually $3 each sometimes less) with free shipping via canada post. They usually arrive within 5 business days.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Jay1993 wrote:

Hi Public Mobile,

I'm nervous about ever losing my phone as it has all my work contact and phone numbers.

Is there a way to buy an extra sim card with the same phone number in the event that it does happen so I have a backup?

Jay

@Jay1993 Yes - our phones are soo much a part of us these days!

I still recommend an extra SIM though to have...just in case.

If you do happen to lose your phone, this is what you do:

1. Report it Lost/Stolen on your Self Serve account.
  2. Obtain another Public Mobile compatible phone
  3. Take your 'extra' unused SIM and put in a ticket with the Moderators to have the SIM numbers swapped on your account.
  4. Voila, your phone number and account on a new SIM

Move your contact to your gmail/outlook contacts or other cloud applications, and start saving new ones there. This way these contacts are connected to your 'online' account and not your phone OR SIM card.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Jay1993 Your phone number will not be lost if you lose your phone. A spare SIM would facilitate recovering service but would not help with recovering your contacts.

If you tell us the make of your phone, someone will provided directions for making a copy of your contacts that automatically updates when you make changes and can be transferred to a new phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It is not possible, unless you clone your SIM card, but why would you need it if your account is compromised?

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jay1993 :Only one phone number can be assigned to each SIM card, so you can't have your phone number on two cards at once.

But if you just want to back up phone numbers and other information etc, you can use any number of free encrypted cloud based services like RememberBear and Tresorit and you can use encrypted email too like Tutanota where you can save all you info to an email - that way if you ever lost your phone you can log into any of the above to retrieve your saved information.

Need Help? Let's chat.