cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entertainment

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The statements made by Darren borders on fake news.  What recreational drug was he on?  Too much competition on Canada?  Let the discussion begin.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/08/03/canadian-telecom-competition-bordering-on-the-irrational-telus-ce...

6 REPLIES 6

paulie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

He is so out of touch !    Candians need and yes want cheap data.  Telus and others are missing the boat.  Instead of offering cheap mobile data, we are forced onto plans that give us limited data.  Then we scramble looking for free wifi whever possible.   The opportunity is huge !   Give us cheap data that we are willing to pay for as part of a package or as an addon when needed.  I have posted here before.  We live in a mobile world and data on mobile deives has to become much more affordable.   Freedom is getting close with their data packages.  It needs to get cheaper across all brands.   Whats the worst that could happen for the carriers?   More revenue ? 

PS: McDonalds and Tims responded to demand for All Day Breakfast.  And guess what.... their revenue and profit increased ! 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Here's a few things I get out of reading that article:

1) He might actually be right if you count all the "smaller" competitors (available regionally) and flanker brands.  Looking at all of those, I can name 12 off the top of my head: Telus, Koodo, PM, Rogers, Fido, Chatr, Bell, Virgin, Lucky, FM, Videotron, Sasktel, err, and I'm sure there are other regional ones I'm missing.  And that's just for mobile telecom providers (more on that in the next point).

2) I think he's lumping in home internet providers as well if he's mentioning the 350GB plan offered in Alberta, which I'm almost certain is a home/DSL/Fibre plan (right?).  If you start lumping those in, I believe there's a number of "reseller" companies like TekSavvy that could get lumped into the count, bringing it even higher.

3) (and possibly most relevant?) What do you expect him to say, honestly?!?!  I mean, yes, it's completely insane to say that we have too much competition.  But put yourself in the CEO of one of the Big 3's shoes for second.  To him, competition is very bad because it can lead to ARPU and other important KPUs coming down, which is bad for his quarterly reports to his stockholders.  Do you see any of the Big 3 CEOs arguing we need more competition in the Canadian telecom market?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any of them has ever said that, nor are they likely to.  Competition leads to weakening of their stocks and lowering of their preformance bonuses and eventually to them being ousted by the board.  I'm oversimplifying a ton of things here, but honestly what do you expect these CEOs to say on the record?!?!

Okay, that's my 3 cents worth!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sadly though, a lot of Canadians are either uninformed, or are content with what they are paying. I have friends with Rogers paying $80-90/month for what you can get cheaper during promos for half the price, yet never have they questioned their plan price and continue to stick with their original plan.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

When executives are so disingenuous going on record, they do a disservice to their company.  It's basically calling out all Canadians as fools.  Who honestly thinks cellular service is cheap on an absolute basis?  Brands like Public Mobile offer a relatively lower price but far from cheap when compared to the rest of the world.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Perhaps he's exclusively testing all the strains of marijuana that the Ontario Cannabis Store will be selling....

A bit dated, but this National Post article is something I should mail to his office...

graph.JPG

My parents were able to get LTE data for pennies during their trip to Hong Kong.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

He has completely lost touch with reality!

Need Help? Let's chat.