cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency alerts

Andb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I live in Alberta and don't receive emergency alerts. I followed the wireless carrier compatibility link for Public Mobile on the Alert Ready website, but didn't find any info on Public's page about device compatibility with your service. Where can I find this and other trouble shooting advice to get these alerts?

https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/ 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/alertready

Thanks,

Andrea

24 REPLIES 24

@smitty267 That has no impact on government alerts in Canada.

smitty267
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Try going into settings-notifications-advanced settings-wireless emergency alerts. make sure it is enabled. Good luck

@sheytoon wrote:

I don't think those settings on the phone will change anything. I believe all alerts in Canada are "presidential" level, which cannot be blocked by the user.

Probably cannot be blocked by consumer apps.

But you can compile your own modded softwares to make your device do whatever you like. At least until they get around to fully embedding "security" lock-ins within the firmwares.

@Anonymous I don't think those settings on the phone will change anything. I believe all alerts in Canada are "presidential" level, which cannot be blocked by the user.

@Triguy wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk I saw on the news last night that the BC government does not use the Alert system.

Here is information from May.

https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca/alert-ready-wireless-public-alerting/

lol. That includes not letting us know about upcoming atmospheric river. But AB and WA can. 

@CountyDownIeUk I saw on the news last night that the BC government does not use the Alert system.

Here is information from May.

https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca/alert-ready-wireless-public-alerting/

@Korth wrote:

Some phones in BC received alerts, some phones in BC did not. Even when located just a few miles away in a different municipality. This apparently occurred in every province, although BC and AB were the least consistent (or compliant) with expected test results.

I am in Maple Ridge BC and both phones have data off and on 3G. No emergency alert received. Both iPhone 8 plus. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 : Both my international A31 and a Canadian A32 appear to have the options.

Android 11 - Settings/Notifications/Advanced settings/Wireless emergency alerts. Mine are all on because I think that's a reasonable civic duty.

The last one I got was Oct 26. Maybe the next time there's a test announced, I'll turn them all off and see what I get.

@Anonymous wrote:

@6543789 : Many phones have options for Alerts. Maybe they're off. Data doesn't need to be on. Just your phone to be set to be idle on LTE. If the phone is set to something like 3G/UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA then you won't get the Alerts.

@6543789 @Anonymous 

My experiences have been that the emergency alerts settiings on devices don't actually do anything.  Cell phone users in Canada are not supoosed to be able to opt out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@6543789 : Many phones have options for Alerts. Maybe they're off. Data doesn't need to be on. Just your phone to be set to be idle on LTE. If the phone is set to something like 3G/UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA then you won't get the Alerts.

Alberta did an Emergency Alert Test last week  and I did not get an alert to my phone. It is less than 2 years old, Android, 4G, data was turned on. I'm concerned about this. Public Mobile, how do you fix this?

@Dunkman wrote:

@Andb 

We also live in Alberta and our accounts did receive the alerts.

Do you leave your data turned on?  From my understanding, you need to be on the LTE network to receive the alerts.  

Data isn't needed to recevie emergency alerts, only a connection to the LTE network. You would still receive the alerts if data is turned off.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The emergency alert test was canceled by AB government on the schedule date.  Instead, AB government sent out a COVID-19 alert the next day.  I was watching TV at the time.  The COVID-19 alert was on my TV and my phone.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Korth , @Andb 

I have 2 accounts with PM in NB. One received the alert and one didn't. My Galaxy S9 received it, my Sony Xperia Compact (pre 2018) did not. Aside from phones bought outside of Canada (ie: "Global" versions) older phones like mine don't receive the alerts even on the LTE network.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Andb  I suppose your last post is also redundant?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Some phones in BC received alerts, some phones in BC did not. Even when located just a few miles away in a different municipality. This apparently occurred in every province, although BC and AB were the least consistent (or compliant) with expected test results.

Andb

Please only reply if you have information to add, I have already read the information in the links in the original post. Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@Andb 

Do you leave your data turned on?  From my understanding, you need to be on the LTE network to receive the alerts.  

@Dunkman 

Data on? Or just connected to LTE?

I assume both?  

Alberta got our own alert November 26 and our phones did receive those alerts.  Alberta has to do things our way.  Opting out of national wide alert and not participating in national covid tracking app.  

I don't think data needs to be on. I think it's just that the phone has to be connected to LTE. I think it's why older 3G phones don't get alerts. And those that set their phones to 3G only.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@Andb 

@Dunkman 

I assume both?  

Alberta got our own alert November 26 and our phones did receive those alerts.  Alberta has to do things our way.  Opting out of national wide alert and not participating in national covid tracking app.  

Andb

Yes, my data was on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkman wrote:

@Andb 

@Dunkman 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Andb 

Need Help? Let's chat.