cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to Text/SMS

polish_jr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello! First post and hopefully soon  to be Public Mobile user!

I am a real estate agent and depend heavily on my brokerage office's email to text service to get alerts and timely updates on my business. I am currently with Rogers and paying about 70-80 dollars and getting sick of being ripped off. I barely used over 500mbs of data a month so Public Mobile seems perfect for me! I'm going to be calling Rogers and fighting with retention to see how much they can drop my bill but I'm pretty certain they won't be able to come close to the PM price point. 

But this is the one last thing that is worrying me. I really need to be certain my office will be able to send me alerts via email to text! There's one other thread here about this but it seemed some people were having trouble so can I please get some kind of confirmation? Thanks!

Bonus noob question if anyone's read this far: Porting. I'm obviously need to port my number. The threads discussing this say it takes all but a few minutes. Having asked this of other providers in the past they said it could take up to a week or two.. is PM really going to port my number the same day I request it?

Thanks!

26 REPLIES 26

@texwood wrote:

I find the usage limiting though, as SMS is limited in 140 characters (including subject line) and most emails are much longer than that.  In addition, you cannot reply back. 

With email clients nowadays pretty much receiving emails almost immediately, in addition of messaging services such as Whatsapp, this option isn't as useful compared to flip phone days.

Still useful if you are needing to send a text message from a non-phone, e.g. a computer.

springtide
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

To update, my relative did finally receive my replies some 45, 77, and 128 minutes later, and only when I replied to texts sent to myphonenumber@mms.mb.telus.com

That seems abnormally slow in this day and age. But, if time is not important, I guess you could say "it works."

Anyone know any faster solutions?

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@springtide wrote:

Hi all,

What about the opposite? Text to email. Anyone succeed with this yet?

I am able to receive a text that was sent via email, but when I reply to the email address they do not receive a text back to their email. On my end it appears as if it was sent successfully, but they don't receive anything.

Specifics:

When a text is sent to myphonenumber@msg.telus.com I receive it but it appears to come from phone number 999-999-9999 and responding gets an error message.

When a text is sent to myphonenumber@mms.mb.telus.com I receive it and can see the email address from which it was sent, but when I send a reply the recipient does not receive it in their email inbox nor do I receive an error message.

When a text is sent to myphonenumber@msg.koodomobile.com I receive it and can see the email from which it was sent, but when I send a reply the receipient does not receive it in their email inbox nor do I receive an error message.

I have an elderly relative who does not have a phone but can do email. It would be nice to be able to reply to their email-to-text messages and have them receive my return text as an email. I cannot simply send them an email as I do not have a data plan, so this is the only way we can communicate digitally.

This would be pretty neat if we could figure it out.

@Lots of free Wifi avaliable @ coffee shop 

springtide

Hi all,

What about the opposite? Text to email. Anyone succeed with this yet?

I am able to receive a text that was sent via email, but when I reply to the email address they do not receive a text back to their email. On my end it appears as if it was sent successfully, but they don't receive anything.

Specifics:

When a text is sent to myphonenumber@msg.telus.com I receive it but it appears to come from phone number 999-999-9999 and responding gets an error message.

When a text is sent to myphonenumber@mms.mb.telus.com I receive it and can see the email address from which it was sent, but when I send a reply the recipient does not receive it in their email inbox nor do I receive an error message.

When a text is sent to myphonenumber@msg.koodomobile.com I receive it and can see the email from which it was sent, but when I send a reply the receipient does not receive it in their email inbox nor do I receive an error message.

I have an elderly relative who does not have a phone but can do email. It would be nice to be able to reply to their email-to-text messages and have them receive my return text as an email. I cannot simply send them an email as I do not have a data plan, so this is the only way we can communicate digitally.

This would be pretty neat if we could figure it out.

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is anyone getting this to work? I'm trying it now both ways (@mms.mb.telus.com and msg.telus.com) and its not working.  Do we need the hyphens in our phone number?

edit: it is working but really slow, taking 2-3minutes for the sms to come thru but only from the mms.mb.telus.com email.

My new phone is not waking the screen the same way it did when i first stared it when I get a text anymore, This email to sms is perfect for me to test without bothering anyone else, is there any other site we can input our number to send ourselves a test sms?

Rabbi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@giaboni no prablom, but i am talking about to can easy reply

giaboni

You are correct!  If you use those 2 formats you gave you will not get (999) 999-9999 showing up as the sender but you will actually see the name of the person and their email address as I just tested this too, so bravo we all learned something today,

giaboni

All I know is this which I tested it 2 minutes ago.  If you send an email to your own public mobile phone number 1234567890@msg.telus.com as an example which I just did right now, I get a text on my Public Mobile phone with this number appearing. (999) 999-9999.  I really don't care enough about this to reply again as I am just stating a fact of what actually happens when you only use this format being your phone number 1234567890@msg.telus.com 

Rabbi

@giaboni i say that in order to not show 999-999-9999 when you got text by email and should show the email addrees than shuld you send the email to phone number @mms.mb.telus.com or phone number@msg.koodomobile.com

giaboni

We are talking about 2 different things.  I am talking about when you RECEIVE a text that originated from an email showing all the 9's and you are referring to the format you need when you SEND a email to text depending on the carrier which is the phone number followed by the carrier and not all the number 1's as you so mentioned.

Rabbi

@texwood try 111-111-1111@mms.mb.telus.com or 111-111-1111@msg.koodomobile.com its will work also you will can replly to it

Rabbi

@giaboni try 111-111-1111@mms.mb.telus.com or 111-111-1111@msg.koodomobile.com its will work also you will can replly to it not 999-999-9999

Rabbi

@polish_jr send to 111-111-1111@mms.mb.telus.com or 111-111-1111@msg.koodomobile.com its will work also you will can replly to it

texwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I find the usage limiting though, as SMS is limited in 140 characters (including subject line) and most emails are much longer than that.  In addition, you cannot reply back. 

With email clients nowadays pretty much receiving emails almost immediately, in addition of messaging services such as Whatsapp, this option isn't as useful compared to flip phone days.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great news. 🙂

happy4adeal

Worked perfectly. Thanks!

giaboni

Yes, that's exactly what I am talking about, I just wanted to make a point that the phone number that will appear on this email to text service on your Public Mobile phone when it receives this "email text" will be (999)9999999.

Happy email to texting people, it's works perfectly!

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

Hi @polish_jr@, welcome to the Public Mobile communtiy!  Are you talking about someone emailing you at your phone number @ rogers.com or something like that?  Like, 6045551212@rogers.com or 6045551212@msg.rogers.com or something similar? 

@If that's what you're after, then yes you can.  You can have emails sent to your phone number @ msg.telus.com, such as 6045551212@msg.telus.com and it will be delivered to your phone via SMS.  To be sure, I just sent myself a quick test and it delivered immediately and had both my subject and body included.

That is cool, I did not know we could do that. Awesome!!!

giaboni

Yep, email to texting works great with Public Mobile using your phone number.  Here is an example such as 6045551234@msg.telus.com

The interesting thing is the phone number that the cel phone indicates where this text originated from will actually be (999)9999999.  The good news is that your email address, subject of your email and contents of your email message will appear in the text message.

@polish_jr When porting the key to quick success is to fill in any required fields accurately. For cell phones expect it to take up to a few hours; for landlines several days. DO NOT cancel your Rogers account; when the port completes that account will close and you will be sent a final bill.

Since this is your business number, I suggest you consider the cautious approach in my post: Cautious Activation

If you plan to use a phone acquired from Rogers it MUST be unlocked before it will work on PM's network. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

The normal Realtor packages used by big brokerages (eg Remax) can send the "page" (txt) even if you are not on data

Data is preferable though as alot more info can be passed along

Oh and isn't it so much easier than the old days (anyone else remember paying extra for BES access?)

Most cellular providers will complete port in same day assuming you gave the correct info

guri

Just make sure the app you're using supports push notifications for the email address you have them send it to. I.e. the default Apple iOS Mail client it doesn't support push notifications for Gmail, best you can do is get the email within 15 minutes if you have it set to check every 15 minutes, but it uses up more battery that way. With Microsoft Outlook I get instant notificaiton for Gmail, iCloud, Exchange, Hotmail. I think the Gmail app for iOS also supports push notification for Gmail too.

polish_jr

srlawren, yeah that's what I meant. Thanks for checking it works!! 

polish_jr

Guri... you're kind of blowing my mind right now... I never once thought to just tell them to put my email address into that software instead of my number! Thanks! I think that solves everything! Can't wait to go tell Rogers to go stuff themselves! 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @polish_jr, welcome to the Public Mobile communtiy!  Are you talking about someone emailing you at your phone number @ rogers.com or something like that?  Like, 6045551212@rogers.com or 6045551212@msg.rogers.com or something similar? 

If that's what you're after, then yes you can.  You can have emails sent to your phone number @ msg.telus.com, such as 6045551212@msg.telus.com and it will be delivered to your phone via SMS.  To be sure, I just sent myself a quick test and it delivered immediately and had both my subject and body included.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

guri

So do you get emails and you want faster notifcation, hence sending a text? What I find that works for all email accounts I have setup with almost instant email push notifications is https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/outlook-com/mobile/. This will eliminate the need to send text message as you'll get the email within seconds of it being sent to you.

I just went through porting on Sunday and it was almost instant, but I had the wrong PIN from my old account. If you provide correct info it happens really fast. From reading the comments it seems like it's between a few minutes to a few hours - just make sure you have correct info when filling out port form.

Need Help? Let's chat.