cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dual Sim Card

Hi there,

I currently have two phone lines through public mobile (one for a small business and one for personal). I heard about dual sim cards, which would be awesome for me. Would like to ask what steps would I need to do to set this up. Do I need to purchase a dual sim card from public mobile? Is the process fairly simple to set up?

Thanks a bunch 🙂

Re: Dual Sim Card

The first thing you need is a phone that has space for two sim cards, one for each line.

Hope this helps,

Pat

Mayor / Maire

@NBtalker a dual sim slot phone would enable you to put 2 different PM Sims on your phone. I have never heard of dual sim cards.

@NBtalker wrote:

Hi there,

I currently have two phone lines through public mobile (one for a small business and one for personal). I heard about dual sim cards, which would be awesome for me. Would like to ask what steps would I need to do to set this up. Do I need to purchase a dual sim card from public mobile? Is the process fairly simple to set up?

Thanks a bunch 🙂

Mayor / Maire

You would need a phone with dual sims.  You would need to purchase two sim cards and setup two separate accounts.

Oracle

@NBtalker, all you need is a phone that can operate two services at the same time.  The two SIM cards are then placed into the phone.  Having said that, I sense what you want to do is have the phone ring if a call is made to either phone.  This part I am not sure that there is a dual SIM phone out there that can really do that.  I am currently using a Umidigi F2 which is a dual SIM phone.  I have to select which SIM to use for each of calling, text, data.  Once selected, the other SIM is not used for each of those services.  As an example, if I select SIM1 for calling, I don't believe a call to SIM2 will ring the phone. 

Mayor / Maire

@will13am fmi have you tried calling the SIM not set to receive calls? I'm curious to see if the least it would do is go directly to voicemail. Thanks.

@will13am wrote:

@NBtalker, all you need is a phone that can operate two services at the same time.  The two SIM cards are then placed into the phone.  Having said that, I sense what you want to do is have the phone ring if a call is made to either phone.  This part I am not sure that there is a dual SIM phone out there that can really do that.  I am currently using a Umidigi F2 which is a dual SIM phone.  I have to select which SIM to use for each of calling, text, data.  Once selected, the other SIM is not used for each of those services.  As an example, if I select SIM1 for calling, I don't believe a call to SIM2 will ring the phone. 

Mayor / Maire

@will13am wrote:

I have a data only SIM in slot 2, so can't test that (and haven't had the need to so far). Dual stand-by to me means when not in use calls can come in on both lines. I assume that the "preferred SIM" setting for calls refers to outgoing - for calls I can also choose "ask every time".

Once a call is initiated the second SIM slot is temporarily inactive on a dual stand-by phone, a simultaneous call to the second SIM would go to voicemail. From own experience, data isn't available on the second SIM while on a call on SIM 1, something to keep in mind.

@NBtalker 

What I have done before I upgraded to my current dual SIM phone: Keep the SIM with the personal number in a old/spare phone at home and forward calls to a) directly your business line or b) to a VoIP service like fongo or Text now with the according app on your business phone. 

Or use a VOIP service exclusively for your personal number? (Be aware that only certain numbers, from areas that the VoIP service offers numbers for, can be ported to VoIP.)

Thanks everyone for the replies 🙂

What I want to happen is have both lines going to the same phone, so I can accept phone calls from both lines on the same phone. From the replies so far, it sounds like the dual sim card wouldn't work in that case...

Alternative idea - Is there a way to set up call forwarding from one of my public mobile accounts to the other? That way I could get both lines going to one phone, and that would solve my problem.

Mayor / Maire

@NBtalker Yes there is use this link and scroll down to call forwarding https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Your-Phone-and-Plan-Feature...

@NBtalker wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies 🙂

What I want to happen is have both lines going to the same phone, so I can accept phone calls from both lines on the same phone. From the replies so far, it sounds like the dual sim card wouldn't work in that case...

Alternative idea - Is there a way to set up call forwarding from one of my public mobile accounts to the other? That way I could get both lines going to one phone, and that would solve my problem.

Mayor / Maire

@NBtalker wrote:

I'm not sure what would happen internally/technically. Call-forwarding _may_ be at the company side. Make the one account SIM active, call forward to your other number, make the other SIM active, call the first number from a different phone...see what happens.

Need Help? Let's chat.