cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speeds on LTE on PM network in GTA.

kdsharma1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of switching to PM from FM. My biggest problem with FM has been slow data speed. The most I get is like 8 mbps as my Nexus 6P isn't supported by FM's Band 66 network. I wanted to get a better understanding of PM's network from users
What type of DL speeds do you guys get around the GTA on PM LTE network? Thanks.
28 REPLIES 28

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Wafik wrote:
Keep in mind that probably varies on your current coverage. I doubt you would only get 10 Mbps if you had full coverage.
When my phone has 3 bars, I get about 15 Mbps, when I walk to the other room and have fours bars I get 60 Mbps. When I drive east a bit and get a Max five bars, I see around 150 Mbps.

It depends what band you're on too... 2-3 'bars' of band 7 is likely a lot better than 5 of band 17

Wafik
Keep in mind that probably varies on your current coverage. I doubt you would only get 10 Mbps if you had full coverage.
When my phone has 3 bars, I get about 15 Mbps, when I walk to the other room and have fours bars I get 60 Mbps. When I drive east a bit and get a Max five bars, I see around 150 Mbps.

K_GL
15m down and 10mb up with oneplue in mississauga

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

People coming over from freedom should be concerned about latency more so than speed.  With freedom the problem was the network was so congested that latency can be measured with a calendar, lol.  Personally since coming over from wind last year, my fastest speed test was around 50 mbits/s.  The latency has been excellent everywhere and so data feels like it's 10000 faster than with wind.  

kdsharma1

Thanks everyone for their reply. You have all been so helpful. I just need to wait for a promotion again so I can switch.

Wafik

@floorit When I was at the Hilton Mississauga/Meadowvale I was pretty consistently between 145 Mbps and 155 Mbps and I also see similar speeds at Union.  I do not usually go around testing speeds, but any time my coverage shows as full on my phone the speed is similar.

I don't know if it matters for pure speed, but I am also using a factory unlocked LG Nexus 5x.

38 - 55 Mbps is plenty fast for you to basically have no slowdown outside of downloading apps or streaming high quality video.

floorit

Im getting 38 -55 mb down and 2up in Newmarket.

floorit

What part of the GTA are you in?

Wafik

@imm1304 Yeah, apparently the Community forums do like the way I am used to embedding pictures.  Fixed!  And thanks.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Wafik please edit your post.  Your image links not showing correctly.  🙂

Wafik

@kdsharma1, I believe you said you are in the Mississauga.  I am currently in Halton Hills with average service and when I run Speedtest it pings a Mississauga server and I got the below.

blob:http://imgur.com/cb302de5-3b50-4d6d-83e0-41c5c8bc4006

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/xv7H9"><a href="//imgur.com/xv7H9"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think you can reasonably assume better coverage and speed when you are actually in Mississauga.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would think at some point VoLTE will be standard for all carriers.

imm1304

Hey @kdsharma1,

The speedtests were conducted in downtown Toronto along University Ave.

The calls take a few seconds before ringing.  Connection drops to 3G for the duration of the call.  We do not have VoLTE feature implemented yet.  VoLTE (faster call connection and LTE maintained during call) is being rolled out slowly by Telus and PM will probably get it late or may not get it as a discount brand.  My guess is that eventually PM will get VoLTE too.  Only Rogers is way ahead in implementing VoLTE.  Coming from Freedom mobile, you should experience a substantial improvement in coverage and quality of connection.  

Wafik
Anytime I am in Toronto and have a strong connection I generally am able to run a speed test that high. Not currently there right now to post a screen shot. I'm sure actual use is slightly slower.

Where do you get those over 150mbps speed?  That's very fast.

Wafik

@kdsharma1 I would honestly be surprised if you did not end up with better coverage and speed coming from Freedom.  I also switched from Freedom (Wind at the time) and honestly, everything is better.  Data comparison is not fair as Wind did not have LTE at that time, but I consistently get 150 Mbps where I work just west of Mississauga.  I worked out of the Hilton Mississauga/Meadowvale hotel for a couple weeks and had perfect coverage regardless of where I was in the hotel, even in elevators.  Calls start right away, although that probably depends more on your phone than the network you are using.  I haven't dropped a single call in the GTA since I switched to PM while I did all the time with Wind.  The Telus network is just better than Freedom at this time.  Freedom's main advantage is price, and PM is comparible on that or better.  I honestly do not know how I lived with the limited coverage of Wind/Freedom for so long.

kdsharma1
Hey @imm1304 , where were you when you got those speeds? I live in Mississauga. Also how's the call quality? Does it take few seconds to connect or does it start ringing immediately?

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire
Coverage and RAN performance is identical to Bell and Telus.

See here for more info:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/m-p/129092#M420...

On the unrestricted plans, I've gotten close to 500 Mbps downlink in GTA. Uplink is limited to 75 Mbps currently since there's no Carrier Aggregation implemented yet.

@kdsharma1 I live in Mississauga and it's a fringe area for LTE. My speeds using http://speedof.me are: 31 download -- 12 upload -- 45 msec latency.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

imm1304

Hey @kdsharma1, attached are 2 random speedtests I did a few months apart.  The LTE coverage is excellent as shown by the speedtest results.  Many unlocked phones from other carriers, including mine, show network connected to as "TELUS" in the status bar and on the lock screen.  Never had any coverage/quality issues in the GTA.  Don't think we are put on lower priority at all, we just don't get retail store access and no call center customer service.  Everything is either selfserve or via this community.  

Capture+_2017-07-17-19-08-42.pngCapture+_2017-05-26-17-22-09.png

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I made a mental slip in my previous reply. A speedtest can burn through 200MB lol. Not kb.

geologyking

In Toronto(east end) getting 90-100 down and 25-30 up.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@kdsharma1 Try perusing the Telus coverage map. It shows LTE and HSPA. http://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/network/coverage-map.jsp

As far as calling goes, even 1 bar is sufficient for calling; it's all I have in parts of my home.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Michael77

"Hows the signal strength and the quality of call?"-  Generally speaking the signal and quality of the call is very good.

"Do you truly get Telus' network coverage or are you like a secondary user type under PM?"-  I really don't know the answer but my LTE speeds are really good. 

Grampa
116 mbps up and 40 mbos down in Markham. That's the only Speedtest I did because it burns through about 200 kb of data. Good LTE signal in Pickering and Scarborough also. It switches to 3g in my basement but works.

I switched from FM to PM about 2 months ago and I am happy I did. I get a signal wherever I go, even on vacation at Wasaga beach or Niagara falls. Not so with Freedom.

kdsharma1

Hows the signal strength and the quality of call? Do you truly get Telus' network coverage or are you like a secondary user type under PM?  Sorry for so many questionsbut it would be really helpful. 

Michael77

When I was with FM I got speeds of 70Mbps-80Mbps. 

With PM I am getting speeds between 131Mbps-150Mbps. 

skmkenn

I can't speak to the speeds in the GTA area specifically, however to give you an idea I can pull about anywhere from 100-195 Mbps down and ~80-100 Mbps up in Nova Scotia.

Need Help? Let's chat.