cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't want any data - Can it be turned off ?

tipit008
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CS_Agent

I have the Canada-wide plan but don't want the data.

I usually only use data when I'm at a friend's or a public place where there's wifi.  Now, I don't know when the phone goes on it's own data..??  I haven't changed any of my habits.   I've had data only for 24 hours and I saw that there is already 50mb taken on my data plan.  If I go past the 500 mb limit, I want to know what happens.

Is there any way to either turn the data off or make sure the plan cuts off data when I reach my limit ??

Thanks for any info.

Marc

15 REPLIES 15

@ravi_georgian wrote:

When i turn off my data, I'm unable to call or receive calls. My network sign shows cross sign on it. Does this mean, my data should always be on and if i ran out of data but have unlimited canada wide calling, still can't able to use my minutes??

Data settings have nothing to do with calling.  If disabling data also disabled your ability to make and recieve phone calls, you were using some type of internet app.

@ravi_georgian you don't need data enabled to make and receive phone calls. is your device in airplane mode? or do not disturb? disable your data and restart your phone

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ravi_georgian 

Are you using a social media app, not your cell network? This could explain why your data is controlling your phone calls.

The other issue could be, are you turning your data off by turning on airplane mode? This would also turn off your access to a cell network.

ravi_georgian

When i turn off my data, I'm unable to call or receive calls. My network sign shows cross sign on it. Does this mean, my data should always be on and if i ran out of data but have unlimited canada wide calling, still can't able to use my minutes??

Gonzo

For extra peace of mind, apple iOS has had options for parental protection, requiring a passcode before certain apps can use data at all, disabling others like Game Center completely, etc. I have always really appreciated that setting, but unfortunately the iOS 12 update seems to have buried it. I have some digging to do!

EDIT: So, to turn off cell data on an iPhone running on iOS 12, go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions (you will be asked to enter a password), then scroll down the list of allowed settings changes. Change Cellular Data Changes to ‘don’t allow ‘, and there you have it.

For iOS earlier than 12, it’s much more intuitive to get to the settings, but more limited as to control. Settings > Restrictions (password required here). You can then limit use of safari and game center, as well as a few other apps, but you can’t actually prevent data from being turned on. Hope that helps!

tipit008

Ok, thanks for all the answers.  It's actually for my son's phone (iPhone 5s).

With the info you've given me, he (and I... who pays for the phone plan...!) can now have peace of mind...!!

Again, thanks!

Marc

ashleyb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You will not get any over charges for data. Once you've used what you have available it will stop working. You will be able to use the rest of the features on your plan like normal until the month restarts. 

Also depending on which phone you have. You can do a quick google search and find out how to turn off your data on your device. Normally its in the settings > Connections > and you'll see data usage > click mobile data and turn off.

Hopefully you are able to find it  🙂

fonzy35
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@tipit008 wrote:

@CS_Agent

I usually only use data when I'm at a friend's or a public place where there's wifi.  Now, I don't know when the phone goes on it's own data..??  I haven't changed any of my habits.   I've had data only for 24 hours and I saw that there is already 50mb taken on my data plan.  If I go past the 500 mb limit, I want to know what happens.

Is there any way to either turn the data off or make sure the plan cuts off data when I reach my limit ??

Thanks for any info.

Marc

Yes you can, i got the 500MB, but i turn the data off, cause of all app , weather app, etc, use you data.

When i want to use the data i turn it back on in my cell

Effort

This is a common question but prepaid doesn't automatically mean that there aren't overage charges.

For Public Mobile, there aren't any overage charges like others have stated already. Once it's used up, it simply stops.

However, there are prepaid brands but do have overage charges or "out of zone" roaming charges ie Chatr.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tipit008

If you don't want your phone OS to use your mobile data, you can turn off mobile data on your phone.  Turn on mobile data only when you need data and there is no wifi nearby.

As per other had said, there is no data overage charge after finished uaing the data quota for 30 days.

Dandes

As far as I know of, after your data is all used up you won’t have any left you won’t be charged for overage. On iPhone when you are connected to Wi-Fi data automaticly turns off but may still be on when disconnected. To fully turn it on/off go in settings and then go on cellular and turn the switch on/off depending on your needs!

Cellular=Data.

If there is anything don’t mind to send me a message!

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wetcoaster wrote:

@KMG wrote:

If you don't need data, you should consider switching to a plan that doesn't have data.  It would be cheaper - such as $25/30 days for unlimited Canada-wide calling and texting.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/25unlimitedtalk-text

@KMG

That plan is province wide and would need to be supplemenred with a LD add-on or VOIP option for out of province talk.

Oh - you're right.  I did not notice that.  Good to know!

@KMG wrote:

If you don't need data, you should consider switching to a plan that doesn't have data.  It would be cheaper - such as $25/30 days for unlimited Canada-wide calling and texting.

@KMG

That plan is province wide and would need to be supplemenred with a LD add-on or VOIP option for out of province talk.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@tipit008 wrote:

@CS_Agent

Thanks for any info.

Marc

If you go over 500mb data stops working there are no overage charges as this is a prepaid service. You only get what you have already paid for. You can go into your phone settings go to Network or sim different names for different phones and just toggle of cellular data and that will turn it off

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.