cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't get pressured to pay your old provider!

Powoo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey all,

After switching from Bell to Public Mobile last week I experienced some annoying yet kind of expected behaviour from Bell's service reps.

First let me start by saying I did know that my plan would automatically cancel after porting my number to Public Mobile although I wanted to make sure so I called bell to "cancel". 

So, last week when I called Bell to "cancel" my contract (after my number was ported to Public Mobile) they said that I would have to pay my final bill which was fine although I though that I had already paid it off. I was then transfered to an agent to cancel my plan although I spent 20 minutes on the phone with that person basically being bribed to stay. I told him multiple times that I had to go to a wedding (which was true) and that I just wanted to cancel my plan although he kept saying "no problem buddy I can cancel your plan right now... but what if I can offer you this" 

Anyways, after 20 minutes of that I finally got him to "cancel" my bill. Sidebar: My contract with Bell was actually already cancelled from porting my number to Public Mobile although he was acting as though it wasn't"

He told me that I had to pay an additional $162 to cancel my plan as well as pay my final bill. On my Bell account it said that I owed $0 on my contract so I told him that. He then came back and said I owed $50 (no idea where he got that number from). At that point I got pretty upset since I just spent way too long getting bribed to stay with Bell so I gave him crap. After that he came back and said "ok your account was cancelled when you ported you number, is there anything else I can do for you?" 

I said no and hung up.

Oh I never got charged for my "final bill" either.

Disclaimer - If you still owe money on your contract you do have to pay that off but don't get suckered in to paying extra fees.

10 REPLIES 10

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Great to hear.

Thanks for taking time and sharing with us.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@neo wrote:

When porting from Telus, I received an email from them almost immediately that my service has ended with them. Great provider but PM just suited my finacial needs better.

Yes your service ended but your account remains active for billing purposes for a bit

neo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@deltatux you betcha. Actually paying half for more services with PM. Savings will just get better with more freinds I could manage to switch over.

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@neo wrote:

When porting from Telus, I received an email from them almost immediately that my service has ended with them. Great provider but PM just suited my finacial needs better.

@neo, better yet, you get the same network since Public Mobile is owned & operated by TELUS lol. TELUS service for less.

neo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@everybody, FYI: For Post Paid Accounts, When your port your number out to another Provider your billing with your Previous Provider stop from the day your number is ported out however your account # for billing purposes of there billing system remains active till fully Paid up.

TroyDaBes

Wow. I'm also from Bell and good thing I didn't bother calling them because I know they will offer useless plan so that I can stay. Good thing I'm not with them anymore. 

My 3 weeks of stay here had been pleasant. We are going to enjoy our stay here 😄

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @Powoo!  Welcome to public mobile and thank you for sharing your experience.  I am glad that you didn't have to pay .. sounds like the Bell employee was not honest and tried very hard to trick you into staying.  

Powoo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Glad you think so - My pleasure! 

Chicklets

Excellent post. Thank you for the information. 

Need Help? Let's chat.