cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doffs His Cap

plenarius
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello PM!

I'm a new customer excited to be a part of a community and save some money I'm currently awaiting transfer of my phone number from Telus but I'm content to be patient with this (within reason of course since I'm already paying with my sim card sitting in my wallet).

I'm also dealing with the self serve login issue as well and I can't help but wonder as a systems developer just who's in charge of these things and whether I can be of help. I know my way around ASP/SQL and other techs and wondering if there's anything I can do to help? I presume I'd actually have to be an employee or at least contracted and it would probably require a lot of getting to know the web/self serve system but if there's a developer out there who can't figure out why this login issue is happening maybe throwing out a generic question or two might lead the way to fixing the problem? That however leads me to my initial question, just who works on the web site? Is it an employee of PM is it someone who is active on these boards as well? I'm a bit confused by who is actually employed and who volunteers?

I also ran some speed tests last night and with my Telus sim I was getting 8.4Mbps down and 1.4 Mbps up but PM was only 1.7 Mbps down and 0.03 Mbps. I'm pretty sure I got my APN settings correct so I'm wondering if this is what I should get used to or is there some other trick I need to see some better speed rates? (This is with an iPhone 4s)

Anyway, I have faith that the community and products can help PM succeed and I'll be happy to contribute as I can as well, including getting my fiancee to move over from Rogers.

All the best!

plen

14 REPLIES 14

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @srlawren, I am also in Vancouver BC.  I had the LTE most of the time, and occasionally changed to HSPA for some seconds and return back.  I did not try the speed test recently, but streaming from you tube and facetime is fine.  I recalled when I tested with Telus SIM, the speed test was around 54 Mbps download with LTE (but used a lot of data for the test, around 50 MB), and I did not do it with Public Mobile (I had only 1 GB for 90 days).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm in Langley, BC (a suburb of Vancovuer) currently and getting 7.6Mbps down and 2.27Mbps up on 5 bars of HSPA+ inside my office building.  Outside, still H+, getting 10.30 down and 1.69 up.  Doesn't appear to be LTE in this particular area but I can try again at another time on LTE.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

plenarius

Okay just got home and got the sim installed. My speeds are now much better, on par with what I had with Telus, must have been a little glitch in the matrix when I first tested. I dunno what phones you folks use to get 15-30Mbps down but I'll accept my 8 down 1.8 up

imm1304

Hi @plenarius!

Glad to hear your account access is working and port from Telus is complete.  Welcome to the community and I hope the second account for the Mrs Plen will be even easier to setup. FYI: you can not add second line to your existing PM account, it will have to be separate account linked to a different email address. 

As for the data speeds, I have checked twice over the last four months in downtown Toronto and both times it was around 25-30Mbps down and 10+Mbps up.  During the 4 months I have been with PM, slow data connection hasn't been an issue at all.. everything loads fast.   

As @youbme suggested, if your speeds remain consistently low across different locations, it will warrant further troubleshooting.  

plenarius

Oh and one more thing, just noticed that my account with Telus is closed and the final bill is prorated daily, so I'm only left with 4 days of service to pay for instead of having to pay for an entire month of Telus.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@plenarius wrote:

Well that didn't take long at all!

Both my self serve now works and my phone has been ported from Telus! Unfortunately I left my PM sim card at home, haha. iMessage through wifi works with No Service so the missus happily knows I still love her 😉

Thanks PM!

Impressive! Keep us posted about the data speeds.

Also, I might be imagining things, but my self-serve account seems to be loading faster than usual (I've never had an issue logging in, but the speed is appreciated!)

plenarius

Well that didn't take long at all!

Both my self serve now works and my phone has been ported from Telus! Unfortunately I left my PM sim card at home, haha. iMessage through wifi works with No Service so the missus happily knows I still love her 😉

Thanks PM!

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Rockdaddy22

Can you please view your Private message inbox?

Thanks!

youbme

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Isn't today friday? Hope I can log in when I wake up tonight 🙂

I'm impressed that you are so active on the community while dreaming Smiley LOL

I suppose they have until 11:59pm...but I'm not holding my breath

Rockdaddy22
Isn't today friday? Hope I can log in when I wake up tonight 🙂

youbme

Welcome to the community @plenarius!

I just did a speed test on my nexus 5 and got 11.17 down, 7.1 up. I wonder if there is something going on with your account. Are you still getting those low speeds with LTE?

As far as employment, we're all volunteers except the community managers who have the PM designation next to their user names. It can be confusing, and hopefully there can be better clarification for new members.

Mayor / Maire

@plenarius wrote:

I also ran some speed tests last night and with my Telus sim I was getting 8.4Mbps down and 1.4 Mbps up but PM was only 1.7 Mbps down and 0.03 Mbps.

That's odd and does raise concern! I don't have an LTE device to check with myself. But maybe you should check to see if the problem remains on another day. If it does, a webmail to PM Support may be in order.

plenarius

As far as PM asking for help on the programming side, I doubt they will accept it! I think you're the third or fourth offering his help in the forum!

Haha, I had wondered if someone may have already. Open Source would be great, though some management types (and devs for that matter) worry it will lead to security vulnerabilities. Personally I think it helps discover and correct them.

Technically, the selfserve issue should be resolve by friday (finger crossed!).

Oh! I hadn't heard about this, that would be spiffy. I don't really need access to it now but it will eventually be necessary of course.

Thanks for the welcome @Daniel!

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @plenarius,

Welcome in the community, your help will be welcome!

As far as PM asking for help on the programming side, I doubt they will accept it! I think you're the third or fourth offering his help in the forum!

Technically, the selfserve issue should be resolve by friday (finger crossed!).

Maybe PM will eventually become OpenSource!!! lol!

Need Help? Let's chat.