Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does public mobile have 4g data?

zatho2081
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

7 REPLIES 7

@jeremyguay   you sure you want the fast speed like that?  You won't see much difference for everyday browsing.  Of course, if you do quiet some download and HD video, it might be different

It's actually not bad to change to current 3G plan or move to another provider.  I believe you are paying more now with the old plan or same price but with less data

BUT.... Why not try to change to the new plan for one month first?

Try it out yourself and see if you can stand the speed with capped at 3Mbps.  If you really not like  it , then check for the plans from other providers like Telus or Koodo.  Yes.  I would say if you are paying for $40/month or more, you could find better plan, either cheaper or with more data, elsewhere.

PM is a third tier provider so they throttle their speed to 3G.  For most daily use, most user won't notice a difference.  If you stream 4K video or high quality music you might experience buffering.

jeremyguay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm apparently one of the people who is grandfathered into having 4G, speed tests show my speed to be around 120Mb/s. It's ridiculous that I would have to give up that speed if I want more data. I would be happy to pay a premium for the higher speeds, I don't know why they wouldn't offer both speeds.

I think it's time to look for another provider.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@zatho2081 , data on this service runs on both 3G and 4G/LTE network.  On 4G/LTE, the data speed is throttled to 3 mbits/s up and down.  On the 3G network, there is no speed throttling.  Some members have been able to get relatively consistent double digit speeds on 3G, depending on local network load factors.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @zatho2081 

I believe the only time one might experience this is early on after activation until it's throttled down to 3G which takes up to 72 hours, maybe?

I never quite did understand the logic behind that - but I do recall seeing it offered up several times on this forum.

Fingers-crossed they might dial up to higher speeds when 5G starts becoming more mainstream country-wide.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@zatho2081 

All present PM plans are LTE, but capped to 3G speeds.  There are no LTE/4G speed plans at the present time.  In the past, there are some grandfathered plans with LTE speeds.  

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@zatho2081 wrote:

@zatho2081 Yes but it is restricted or throttled to 3G speeds.

Need Help? Let's chat.