cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do calls to toll-free numbers count toward your monthly usage?

Jasok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I was with Koodo (postpaid), I called a toll-free number and it counted toward my monthly usage. Someone else I know had a plan with Virgin Mobile (postpaid) and they called a toll-free number and it also counted toward their usage. Is the same true for Public Mobile? 

14 REPLIES 14

1vk

Thnks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@1vk wrote:

Can I call toll free number to the US on $15 plan?

Yes, you can, but the minutes should be counting as part of your 100 outgoing minutes. In addition, the specific toll-free number needs to be one that accepts calls from Canada.

Should is the key word but with Public Mobile things don't work as they should all the time. Smiley Happy

@computergeek541: 1vk has posted the same question a few times. Maybe you'd be interested in stitching together his different posts into one thread.

Yes...I have called toll-frees without losing minutes. Maybe it's unofficial but there it is.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@1vk wrote:

Yes, you can, but the minutes should be counting as part of your 100 outgoing minutes. In addition, the specific toll-free number needs to be one that accepts calls from Canada.

Should is the key word but with Public Mobile things don't work as they should all the time. Smiley Happy

@1vk wrote:

1vk

EdmondY
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think the only place a toll free call is actually free (aside from some VOIP apps like Skype) is a payphone.  You don't have to put money in a payphone to call a toll free number.  The rates may be higher for them but they will completely pay for the call.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jasok wrote:

@EdmondY wrote:

It would count towards your monthly usage unless your calling Public Mobile's IVR, which 611 or it's toll free number which is free of charge.  Hope that answers your question!

Doesn't toll free mean free of charge? Cambridge Dictionary "A toll-free phone call is free for the person making the call."

I do have the $10 plan and I called a toll free number and it didn't show in the 50 min usage. Does that mean it was taken from my international minutes addon because they assumed it was an American number? 

Toll free means no long distance charge only.

A call to a toll free number has always counted as airtime usage on every cell phone carrier, although some plans have unlimited portions of the day or completely unlimited airtime.   On cell phones, toll free does not mean free.  It only means no long distance charges.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What went un-said with KMG's reply was the flip side of the if...all other plans are unlimited. Particularly for toll-free with either provincial or Canada or US.

So it doesn't matter for everything except the $10 plan.

Edit: Oh...and add-ons.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

How long ago did you make the call?  The minutes available section of selfserve isn't always updated in real time.  The call you made may just show up later on.

Jasok

@EdmondY wrote:

It would count towards your monthly usage unless your calling Public Mobile's IVR, which 611 or it's toll free number which is free of charge.  Hope that answers your question!

Doesn't toll free mean free of charge? Cambridge Dictionary "A toll-free phone call is free for the person making the call."

I do have the $10 plan and I called a toll free number and it didn't show in the 50 min usage. Does that mean it was taken from my international minutes addon because they assumed it was an American number? 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jasok wrote:

When I was with Koodo (postpaid), I called a toll-free number and it counted toward my monthly usage. Someone else I know had a plan with Virgin Mobile (postpaid) and they called a toll-free number and it also counted toward their usage. Is the same true for Public Mobile? 

It will be counted against your 30 dyas qutoa.

If you had a provinal plan, you will not incur any long distance charge.  But it will be counted against your 30 days quota.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you are on the $10 plan, just assume that everything counts towards minutes used.  Incoming + outgoing of any kind, voicemail, everything.

As mentioned above, *611 is probably the only exception.

EdmondY
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Need Help? Let's chat.