cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone get the AMBER alert last night? Does anyone here turn it off on their phone?

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Got the AMBER alert last night around 11pm.  Then another one 15 minutes later.  Was lying in bed and jolted me both times.  Wish there was a way where the volume would start off gradually and then increase in intensity.  

22 REPLIES 22

Madison_07
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes I got it 

Consumer SMS software is deliberately prevented from properly overriding some SMS-CB alerts. Especially on devices which already deny consumers access to root privileges. You get what they decided to give you.

honest, the  override "feature" does not work well.  Samsung Note 9, it didn't ring crazy loud, it was following my ringer setup the other night.  

It depends on the phone model. Google Pixel phones will not make any alert sounds on DND mode.

@celine_s  no, the amber alert was designed to override the ringer off and DND. 

It's not pleasant, but I understand as  there are people or parents out there that are desperately in need,  It would be heartbreaking if something bad happened because we acted late.  Luckily, the baby girl found safe this time.

celine_s

Nope. My iphone 8 is on DND from 9pm to 8 am every day and I still got two alerts about 10 minutes apart. And super loud! Would love these to be silent when my phone is on DND.

vitalyr

No, this will not work. DND dies not make any difference in alert sound level.

@computergeek541

Custom firmware or custom operating system isn't needed to fully disable or control priority alerts, at least not on all devices.

Custom SMS/MMS software (app) - along with proper access to OS privileges (root) - is all that's strictly necessary.

Consumer OS builds and apps intentionally prevent "emergency" services from being ignored. The user settings are provided with deliberately limited usefulness. (Although, as discussed above, unwanted alerts can still be partially mitigated with Do Not Disturb, Airplane Mode, and other network disconnect methods.)

mobileguy

@GregR7, thanks.  That makes sense now.

GregR7

w.r.t. AMBER and turning that off - as far as i recall, all alerts here in canada are actually set as presidential, even if they're ambers.  so, it kind of bypasses the whole point of the tiers!  some phones let you completely turn off all emergency alerts.  i haven't seen an alert since that kid in thunder bay got lost.

@mobileguy wrote:

@Jb456 , I did that once but the alerts still came on.  If only they wouldn't sound so loud at the start.  I guess if I switched my network from LTE to 3g that would stop it.  Wouldn't make a big difference as my data is only 3g and my phone quality and reception is just as good either way.

In some cases, data might work better locked in to the HSPA network. As for phone call quality, changing this setting wouldnt' make any difference since all phone calls at Public Mobile already goe through the HSPA network.

As for if someone turns off LTE, I would at least suggest trying out various news and weather apps. Some of these deliver the same alerts, but require a working internet connection. 

scorpio17
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It does not work on Samsung S8. Had DND on and received both loud alerts.

@sheytoon wrote:

Best option is to enable Do Not Disturb (DND) mode automatically every night.

The alerts will still be received, but they will be silent. You can view them in the morning.

mobileguy

@sheytoon . Thanks...will look into how to set this up.

Best option is to enable Do Not Disturb (DND) mode automatically every night.

The alerts will still be received, but they will be silent. You can view them in the morning.

mobileguy

@Jb456 , I did that once but the alerts still came on.  If only they wouldn't sound so loud at the start.  I guess if I switched my network from LTE to 3g that would stop it.  Wouldn't make a big difference as my data is only 3g and my phone quality and reception is just as good either way.

wlgeurts

I cannot turn it off.

Lar

@computergeek541   Agree, I had my android set to ignore the amber and it still get the alerts.

I haven't tried putting the phone face down at night because that is also a setting to ignore calls but I expect the alert might bypass that also.

@Jb456 wrote:

@mobileguy  check your phone settings.

Mine has this. I could actually turn them completely off.

Screenshot_20200305_145343.jpg

If you can turn these alerts off using these settings, you're likely using a custom ROM.  For official alerts, these settings are ignored.

@mobileguy  check your phone settings.

Mine has this. I could actually turn them completely off.

Screenshot_20200305_145343.jpg

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Dual SIM phone, amber alert come in stereo!  I am able to suppress the sound though.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

My phone was on dnd and all I got was 2 low pings.

Need Help? Let's chat.