cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data

K1968
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it true that you can turn on your data for all apps and it only be used if you open the app like Kodoo's?

7 REPLIES 7

@K1968 wrote:

@NDesai   I'll rephrase, specifically talking about FB, Snap, Instagram

That isn't anything carrier specific. Sure, you can turn background data off for these apps, but I would argue what's the point of using them if you won't receive some of  your messages and notifications.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

Screenshot_20201105-161010~2.png

@K1968 yes, but you need to make sure certain settings on your device are disabled. what's the make and model of your device?

• depending on your phone, you should be able to disable background data for each app
  • autosync
  • Google photos backup
  • Playstore auto updates
  • backup to Google drive off
  • disable "automatic system updates" in your "developer options" (to get this option, find your os "build number" located in "about phone" and keep tapping it until "developer options enabled" appears

to save data:

• keep your video quality at 480p or lower
  • turn off "autoplay videos" on your social networking apps and browser
  • if you really need to save data. use the "data saver" option if your device has it
  • use "lite mode" on your browser

The built-in settings and UI do not always allow end-users to properly control (disable) everything. The built-in data usage measuring/tracking apps do not always report accurate numbers.

This is specific to each brand/model of phone (and operating system). Like suggested above, some phones are better (or worse) than others in these details. Users are increasingly being denied fine control over their devices unless they choose the warranty-voiding root/jailbreak path.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@K1968 wrote:

Is it true that you can turn on your data for all apps and it only be used if you open the app like Kodoo's?

That would be a phone setting. Sure. Turn on the ability to use cell data for any and all apps. Turn on the ability to download OS and app updates on cell data.

Then you keep cell data off until you wish to let it all rip.

Most people around here try to conserve their data by not letting apps and the OS do everything on cell data and also not let those apps do anything in the background.

Phones would also likely have a way to see what app is in fact doing anything in the background when that option is on. Maybe the app doesn't care to do anything in the background until it's opened. That would be something the app would do.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile never had an app. Koodo discontinued their app long ago.

MMS attachments are "unlimited" on PM, they do not use any billable data.

Everything else which uses data on PM is counted as billable data. Including social media, updates, background apps, and speedtests.

There is also no "unlimited" data (at throttled speeds) on PM. No way to exceed (or be overcharged for exceeding) the provisioned data limit. You get notifications at 75% and at 95% usage - and you can check your data usage anytime in Self-Serve - but once you've used up all your provisioned data you simply get no more data until you buy more prepaid data (or your plan renewal buys it for you).

Every modern smartphone allows users to enable/disable cellular data. And to prefer (free) data-across-WiFi instead of (paid) data-across-cellular when available. And to enable/disable background data on a per-app basis. Some phones do all this better or worse than others, it's not something Public Mobile (or any other operator) can control.

K1968
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@NDesai   I'll rephrase, specifically talking about FB, Snap, Instagram

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@K1968 I don't think that's true. There are some apps that use data in the background. Apps like Outlook or Spotify can use data in the background. If you don't open some apps at all like web browser then yes, it can't use your data. Depending on what phone you have, you can restrict apps to use your data. 

Need Help? Let's chat.