cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data

Mmrgreen1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i have an iphone5 with the cheapest $15 plan that comes with 250mb of data.  Last night I used the amazon music app while connected to the wifi at my workplace. 1 hour later I notice text messages that say I’ve used 100% of my data.

I’m a bit confused as to why data was being used. I use this app at home all the time and never had an issue.  Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mmrgreen1 wrote:

Texts came from 611.  I’ve just turned off cellular data. I didn’t know that was a thing as this is my first smartphone.

thanks guys!

Would you be interested in posting a screenshot of that?

That would be a new thing that all the regulars would like to see. Well...me anyway.

You'll also want to make sure the failover from wifi to cell data isn't on.

Mmrgreen1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Texts came from 611.  I’ve just turned off cellular data. I didn’t know that was a thing as this is my first smartphone.

thanks guys!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mmrgreen1 wrote:

i have an iphone5 with the cheapest $15 plan that comes with 250mb of data.  Last night I used the amazon music app while connected to the wifi at my workplace. 1 hour later I notice text messages that say I’ve used 100% of my data.

I’m a bit confused as to why data was being used. I use this app at home all the time and never had an issue.  Any ideas?

Are you sure the text came from here? Like from 611? Or did your phone tell you this? It would be news to me that there's a 100% used notification.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Mmrgreen1 only enable data when you plan on using it. otherwise disable it

Disable apps auto update
iTunes & App Stores > Turn Off Use Cellular / Mobile Data

Disable background data
Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Turn it Off entirely or by selective Apps

Disable iCloud sync
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > Turn Off iCloud Drive

Disable Wifi Assist
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > scroll to bottom > Wi-Fi Assist > turn OFF

Disable data on certain apps
Go to Settings > Cellular > Scroll through and disable applications you don't want to used your Cellular Data

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Mmrgreen1 wrote:

Whenever you don't need data...manually turn it off.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Mmrgreen1 wrote:

Do you have wifi assist turned on?  It will use data if the wifi signal is weak.  Could your phone have been running some updates as well over data?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.