cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data won’t work

Joedoe16
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently added $40 to my account that has the $15/month plan, I also previously had $15 in my account so now it has $55 total and for some reason my data still isn’t working... please help.

24 REPLIES 24

@benfatto wrote:

$15 plan only has data if you are registered for autopay, or have purchased a data add-on. 

I assumed this as well, but I tested yesterday and confirmed that removing autopay from the $15 plan only removes the $2 reward credit, and the 250MB data remains, meaning technically it's coded to the plan and you get the 250MB regardless if autopay is enabled or not.

@Joedoe16 wrote:

WHATEVER YOU DO, PLEASE DO NOT USE PUBLIC MOBILE... WORST COMPANY EVER! ALWAYS ISSUES WITH MY ACCOUNT EVERY MONTH AND EVERY TIME ITS A PROBLEM ON THEIR END... NOT TO MENTION ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE. DO YOURSELF A FOVOUR AND USE A BETTER COMPANY

Hi there!! @Joedoe16 

What issues have you had? And how long have you been with PM?

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Joedoe16  What data do you think you have? $15 plan only has data if you are registered for autopay, or have purchased a data add-on. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I agree even though I am newbie with not too much experience with PM.

But for such short period of using PM service I did not have any issues with texting, phone nor data.

I hope auto-pay will work as expected...

Meow
Mayor / Maire

PM is definitely no frills mobile service provider.

Nevertheless I doubt you can find more affordable plan than $15/month which is actually $13/month as when signing up it sets you up for auto-pay by default.

You get unlimited texting, 100 minutes of outgoing calls (unlimited incoming) and 250MB of data with no long commitment nor contract to sign. This is definitely sufficient for having 'emergency' phone i the pocket all the time.

If you need more services (unlimited minutes, more data, etc.) thorough research HAS to be done. There is NO excuse getting particular service and then complain 'this is the worst company'.

I find moderators very responsive and helpful. Not to mention community members willing to assist in any possible way.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile's no frills DIY support model requires that you DIY.

But it isn't for everyone. Other support models - where you can get someone else to fix your problem for you - where you can demand to speak with a manager - are provided by every higher-tier mobile operator.

@Joedoe16 @Dgraziani 

contact customer support mods maybe this has something to do with the transition Canada wide plans.

please click on the green chat bubble to the bottom right of your screen to speak with SIMon

type "data wrong"
(use the chat bubble options, then click "click here to submit a ticket!)
*login using your community account

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

Dtack
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sorry to hear you haven't had a smoother experience.  While there can be glitches, there are also some ways to try to prevent them.  If you are on autopay, you can put money in your account a few days before your renewal and that should prevent any autopay issues.  I believe it is well known there is no "customer service" except for the awesome group of Community members and then the Moderators if your issue can't be resolved.  My experience has been very positive and when something has happened, I never hesitate to reach out to the Community for assistance and any issues have always been resolved.  I hope things get better for you or that you find a provider that aligns more to your liking.

kittynkaraoke
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have only been with Public for a month, but I am not unhappy in any way. I had a bit of trouble at first with switching over my phone number, but that was a mistake on my end, and all was well once I went through the process a second time with a chat-bot. Maybe try reaching out to the community? That's where the "customer service" is.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Joedoe16 

Perhaps you should let public mobile staff know about your concerns, here's how you reach them.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator, then select contact us, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

@Joedoe16 wrote:

WHATEVER YOU DO, PLEASE DO NOT USE PUBLIC MOBILE... WORST COMPANY EVER! ALWAYS ISSUES WITH MY ACCOUNT EVERY MONTH AND EVERY TIME ITS A PROBLEM ON THEIR END... NOT TO MENTION ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE. DO YOURSELF A FOVOUR AND USE A BETTER COMPANY

@Joedoe16  No company is perfect, and Public Mobile may not be for everyone, that is true.

There are no commitments here at Public Mobile, so you are free to port out or connect with someone else as you please.

Is the issue a renewal of your plan each month?

As for customer service, this is an online model and Public Mobile does not hide that fact. Are you having difficulty finding answers?

@Joedoe16

Maybe some of the below will help:

How does Public Mobile prepaid service work?

• With prepaid service, you purchase service credits in advance. You can apply your credits to pay for a rate plan, and then you can add voice or data add-ons if you have enough credits.
  • Prepaid service credits are valid for as long as you have a rate plan active on the account. Rate plans expire every thirty days unless they are renewed.
  • Add-ons provide access to local voice minutes or data transmission services. The rates and conditions at the time of purchase will apply.
  • Current rates and conditions are available at publicmobile.ca/plans.
  • Prepaid service credits are non-refundable. After ninety days with no active rate plan, your account will be automatically deactivated.
  • Public Mobile provides you with the tools you need to manage your spending. Public Mobile will send an SMS message with options for more data or more minutes to the phone that is approaching its data or voice bucket limit.
  • An authorized user can purchase more data or minutes by replying to the SMS or at selfserve.publicmobile.ca, to accept additional charges immediately. 
  • You decide for each user whether they are authorized to accept additional charges, including data or talk options beyond the user’s rate plan. 
  • If the phone user does not have authority, they can contact an authorized user on the account for permission or they can have the authorized user add more data or minutes to that phone, which can be done online at selfserve.publicmobile.ca.
  • The additional charges will be the current rate for a one-time data or talk add-on the user chooses.

@Joedoe16 

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add-Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re done.
  5. Some users have found that rebooting device helps with the add-on being enabled.

Dgraziani

is there a reason why all of your posts are negative? Have you tried to fix whatever issues you may have?

Dgraziani

I just recently have also been having issues with the same thing. 

I have received a text saying that I have used 90 percent of my data then it stopped working immediately. Now its been 12 days and a new billing cycle and it still doesnt work. I login to my selfserve and see now data at all just the talking minutes. I have reached out to a mod and we will see what it gives, hopefull it will be fixed soon enough

@Joedoe16 

If you know your account 4 digit pin code you should be able to purchase it thru 611.

@Joedoe16 

Public mobile is DIY service. Are the rest of your services working?

If you just need more data log into your account. Go to the plans and add ons page. Scroll down to the add ons section. Choose the $15/1gb data add on tick the box (1). Scroll down the bottom of the page and submit your $15 payment and purchase the $15/1gb data add on.

Go to your overview page and you will see it in the bottom left section "my plan and add ons".  1GB DATA ADD ON........ 0/1024MB will show in this section. It will roll over each 30 days supplementing your 250mb plan data whenever you run out before your 30 day plan cycle is up....it will remain on your account until its completely used and it will disappear once finished. If you wish to purchase more data you must repeat the process. ( Add funds, purchase add on, use up add on, repeat as desired.)

Joedoe16

Joedoe16

ya i would if the public mobile site wasnt down and not working right now lol not sure why i ever used these idiots for my phone... i think i could make a better phone company than this in a day hahahaha

@Joedoe16 wrote:

Ya it’s weird I only use wifi for it when using data and I checked and previous cycle I used under 250mb... I even had $15 left over and it didn’t reactivate my account... added another $40 and still nothing. Oh well guess I’ll have to use a different company and lost my $40 lol that’ll teach me not to use the worst phone company in the world

If you have used up your data on your current cycle you need to wait until your next renewal date to receive another 250 MB. If you need data now before your renewal then renew your plan following @computergeek541 suggestions above or buy a data add on in self service. The data add on will stay in your account until consumed.

EF9008C3-09DC-4CA6-98D3-A6FAB039D6C2.jpeg

Joedoe16

Ya it’s weird I only use wifi for it when using data and I checked and previous cycle I used under 250mb... I even had $15 left over and it didn’t reactivate my account... added another $40 and still nothing. Oh well guess I’ll have to use a different company and lost my $40 lol that’ll teach me not to use the worst phone company in the world

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Joedoe16 wrote:

I recently added $40 to my account that has the $15/month plan, I also previously had $15 in my account so now it has $55 total and for some reason my data still isn’t working... please help.

With the $15 plan you only get 250 MB of data which is not much. Log into self service and look under My Data & Add-Ons and see if you have any data left. If not it has been used up for this cycle. If you do have data showing then make sure your phone has data on and your apn settings are correct.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles?q=Apn

@Joedoe16 wrote:

Was your data working earlier?  Public Mobile does not have pay-per-use charges. If you have ran out of plan data, adding funds to your account does not enable data. You would either need to purchase a data add-on, asking moderators to renew your plan earlier, or perform and immediate plan change, although that either of the earlier renewal or immediate plan change option will cause you to lose the remaining time (and funds paying for it) from your existing plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.