cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

seanbrown91
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are there any better plans than the $70 plan?. Or an upgraded version of that plan. Because where I am living rn does not have WiFi, so I'm using more data than normal..

17 REPLIES 17

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

All automatic updates disable.

lite mode browser 

320p youtube 

to save data. 

@seanbrown91 

Here's a better explanation of how the $90/50GB At&t plan works from CCS. This may help you in a pinch. Activate midway thru your pm plan so you can supplement two months of service with pm. You may be able to downgrade your pm plan.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/canadian-cell-supplies-free-sim-card-50gb-lte-t-saving-plan-1-month-...

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@t_p 

just use the "technique" and the website will feel much better

@LeePublic wrote:

@seanbrown91 One trick I have done in the past is download Opera Mini or Puffin web browser. It compresses website data up to 90% using maximum data savings. Though websites may not work as well, it could save you lots of data.

Maybe so, but it could be more problematic logging in to the already finicky self-serve website.

@seanbrown91 

the first key is to learn how to save data and monitor your usage for 1 month to see how much data you go through. don't just switch providers. if you're still going over 15GB then start looking for an unlimited data plan from Telus, Bell or Rogers. 

I don't know why members on here keep saying the $70 is not good value. It is a very good value, especially with the 2GB Promo... 

Koodo only offers $70/15(12+3)GB as a promo. PM's promo vs Koodo is better and is in-line with the rest of the plans here... and the issues with post paid promos is every year they will increase your bill by $5

• $70/15GB vs $68/17.5GB
  • $70/12GB vs $68/15.5GB

after 1 year

• $75/15GB vs $67(or lower)/17.5GB
  • $70/12GB vs $67(or lower)15.5GB

our downside is 3mb(more like 2.5) throttle and no volte. but, seeing as this customer is able to burn through 15gb, i doubt the full speed will make a difference. if anything, it will cause this customer to use even more data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@seanbrown91 

at public mobile Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

visit  Here link  to Managing Your Data Usage, and to save it your data....

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@seanbrown91 wrote:

Are there any better plans than the $70 plan?. Or an upgraded version of that plan. Because where I am living rn does not have WiFi, so I'm using more data than normal..

Actually almost every Public Mobile plan is better than the $70 plan. It is likely the worst value for $ offered especially when compared to other providers lately.

However with the responses I see that you aren’t really looking for a “better plan” but rather a plan with more data than the $70 plan. If this will be an ongoing situation and the solutions so far aren’t for you then it may be worth looking at other providers.

I am one of he few that appreciate he $70 plan being there as an option even though it isn’t a great value. It gives me the option of switching to it to get a bunch more data if I only need more data briefly. That way I wouldn’t have to leave PM and lose all my rewards if I briefly need a load of data.

AE_Collector

@LeePublic wrote:

@seanbrown91 One trick I have done in the past is download Opera Mini or Puffin web browser. It compresses website data up to 90% using maximum data savings. Though websites may not work as well, it could save you lots of data.

yes, this is a good one!!

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

jivetalker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Video really eats up that data if you can turn that off in your apps that will really help.

@gpixel wrote:

Great recommendations!

Nevertheless, all those Android default apps and 3rd party apps just love to be connected and doing little syncs all the time. KB here, KB there and GB goes away easy.

@seanbrown91 

As mentioned above, no larger data plans than the $70 plan.  You can contact CSA to renew your $70 plan earlier.  

You may want to consider other mobile companies also.  Higher data plans with 4G speeds.  

@seanbrown91 

Do you just not have access to home internet/WiFi or are you in an area like a rural setting that it just isn't available do to lack of infastructure/expense?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@seanbrown91   no, $70 /15.5GB is the most offered by PM

If you have already used up, the best is to contact PM for early renewal.  You can do so by first load $70 into your account and then open a ticket with PM.   With enough amount already in the account, PM CS Agent can process the early renewal immediately after verifying your account.

Another quick option is to do a Change Plan to any other plan other than your current one.  This can be done by yourself on My Account without PM's help.  This is quick.  Since you have a $70 plan, the best plan you can change to is $50/10.5GB.  Also, please note that if you decide to do a plan change now, a new cycle will start now and  your plan will stay with whatever plan you have chosen.  So, you might have to make another plan change later if $70 plan is the one you really want to stay with.

BTW, is high data usage a norm for you or just a odd moment now?  $70 is a very pricy plan.  If you need the more than 15.5 GB data per month constantly, you might want to consider moving to Telus or Koodo for better plan, plan with more data and cheaper per Gb.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@seanbrown91 

you can contact customer support to renew your plan or change your plan to the $50 10.5GB plan immediately.

I suggest learning how to data save. 15.5/GB may be enough... or if you aren't tied to your current number, I think there's still a promo for a reoccurring 2gb for new activations 

ie. $70/17.5gb

disable these settings android:
autosync
Google photos backup
Playstore auto updates
backup to Google drive off
disable "automatic system updates" in your "developer options" (to get this option, find your os "build number" located in "about phone" and keep tapping it until "developer options enabled" appears

to save data:
keep your video quality at 480p or lower
turn off autoplay videos on your social networking apps and browser
if you really need to save data. use the "data saver" option if your device has it
use "lite mode" on your browser

Estimated data consumption per hour (YouTube):
360p 315MB
480p 562MB
720p(30fps) 1.27GB+
1080p(30fps) 2.03GB+
4k(30fps) 10.58GB+

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Currently that is the plan with the largest data package for 15 GB.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@seanbrown91 wrote:

Not at this time unfortunately. You can buy data add-on...but kinda pricey at $15 / 1GB.

Need Help? Let's chat.