cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage metering is wrong

JoggingFish
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Recently my data usage increases dramatically. Under same internet activity, 1G was enough before but now I changed to 3G plan and 3G was used up in 1 week.

Anyone has the same case?

8 REPLIES 8

@JoggingFish

In regards to your question have other users seen a spike in data usage? Yes, but very few. So it is possible. Since this isn't a case of your data not resetting upon renewal it will take some investigation on your part to identify when this may have occurred.

1. Check that the data tracker in your phone is set to the correct dates. Look for a day/time that usage spiked with a large amount of data used in a very short period of time. (1-3 hours)
  2. Go thru your app data usage to find an app that could have used the data and if your phone shows that apps daily usage note the day/time.
  3. Check for software/security updates. Both my phone (moto) and my tablet (samsung) recieved updates this week along with google photos. Make sure you have updates set for wifi only
  4. Log into your self serve account and go thru your daily usage pages. Data is updated in two 12 hour blocks a day. (From the previous day.) Find the day that shows a large amount of data usage that co-oresponds to your to your phones usage or not (indicating an error on pm's end.)
  5. Use your timeline to determine whether you were on wifi when the usage occurred or even using your phone at all.

Other members who have reported this issue were consistent data users who tracked their data usage and noticed or were warned by either a 75% or 95% data usage text from pm or their phones data warning/limiter of high usage. (You should set these at 25% and 50% of plan data...or lower if you want to test and track your usage.)

Despite our doubts a couple of members did report back that they had their data replaced by the moderators indicating that this can occur although rarely and that moderators have info that if an anomaly in data metering occurs and a customer complains they restore the data. (ie. June 16th system errors with data metering = restore data to customers reporting sudden data usage on that date.)

Once you track your data usage since switching to a higher data plan and you think you have identifief when this spike in data usage occurred and have compiled evidence to back up your claim contact the moderators and ask them to reset your data for amount that was metered incorrectly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoggingFish : I'm still wondering what you changed. Did you have a full LTE/4G plan (not phone) before? Or did you change your phone (not plan) down to WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA/3G from LTE/4G?

Yes, the front page overview counter in the self-serve is the most immediately accurate. The usage details are delayed about half a day. Look in your Payment history here (not payment card) for the date of your last renewal and then start there looking at usage details.

If you do MMS picture texting then your phone will count that data but the system here will not.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@JoggingFish wrote:

Recently my data usage increases dramatically. Under same internet activity, 1G was enough before but now I changed to 3G plan and 3G was used up in 1 week.

Anyone has the same case?

@JoggingFish 

Firstly, are you seeing this usage on your Self Serve account OR your phone device?

Plans are 30 days so if you are using your phone to track usage, you must set it every time your plan renews for accuracy.

Log into your Self Serve account and check out the usage history for data usage.

Was there a constant use of data or one or more large lumps used at once.

Having wifi off (accidently) can happen (It Has Happened to ME!)

Also, check the usage of data on your phone device. See what app has used up a good chunk over the last week. It may lead to some clues how it went so quickly.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

JoggingFish

1G was used up. I changed to 3G and set as effective at once. 3G was used up again in 1 week.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoggingFish : Please describe what you've done/changed. There might be some confusion but not sure.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Do you turn your Data off when not needed? Or do you leave it on and assume when in a Wi-Fi environment that it will not use Data and use the Wi-Fi?  Dead spots in a Wi-Fi environment = data usage. 250mb lasts me a month and don't fully use it. 

JoggingFish

I have been customer for 2 years. 1G data was enough for me. 3G lasts 1 week now. Everytime is the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoggingFish : Before what? Are you a new customer? If so, often phones will have to re-sync a bunch of things and that could use a bunch of data. Always keep track of what's using your data if you want to be sparing with it. OS updates, app updates, cloud services etc.

Need Help? Let's chat.