cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

diane_h
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I just switched over from another carrier and finally was able to register for a monthly plan. I can text and call, but I cannot get the data working. The APN settings were correctly picked up by my phone, but it doesn't connect.

I tried entering the APN settings manually and restarting, but it did not work. I also reset the Network settings and did it all over again, but no luck. I'm using an LG G7 phone.

I'm not sure what else to do.

Thanks,

Diane

69 REPLIES 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

@diane_h wrote:

I can only call and text.

I do not have any mobile data.

Were you ever able to test with a whole other carrier SIM in this phone?

Since you had that brief period of time with data, can you look at your overview data counter now? Do you see a data counter under My Data & Add-ons?

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@diane_h wrote:

Lots of people use LG phones on Public Mobile. You can call and text so it's compatible. Your  data works when you put your Public sim in, so this is a a problem with your LG phone. With the right settings, it should work.  Can you call LG 1-888-542-2623 and ask for help?

diane_h

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@diane_h wrote:

I can't get any data (3g or LTE) if I can't Register on the Public Mobile LTE network

3g and LTE are different networks. Does can't register mean you can't call or text now?

@diane_h wrote:

I can't get any data (3g or LTE) if I can't Register on the Public Mobile LTE network

You mentioned being able to use talk and text but unable to connect to LTE.  Not being able to register on the network is a totally different problem.  

diane_h

@diane_h wrote:

Hi,

My conclusion is something is blocking me from Public Mobile; LTE). For whatever reason it will not register the LTE network. I have reached out to mods with my data issue but it is extremely slow.

Has anyone experienced an issue where they cannot connect to the LTE portion of PM? I can select the other one (Public Mobile: WCDMA)

@diane_h  Yes, this can happen when the LTE signal is weak. This is my situation at home and I leave my phone permanently set to 3G only.

Advantages:

- Signal is more stable

- 3G is required for voice calls anyway

- 3G is often faster than the throttled LTE

Disadvantage:

- LTE usually better latency, but I can't tell the difference

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

diane_h

I have the same settings as you

@diane_h wrote:

I have one there called "Public Mobile 2" with settings

This is what I have on my phone for APN settings.  The name is a text field that can be anything.  The other fields are important and must match.  Make sure to select the APN as the default when there is more than one showing.  

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

diane_h

I have one there called "Public Mobile 2" with settings

@diane_h wrote:

I've done the Network reset many times already, it doesn't work 😞

Are you able to add a new APN?  If so, create new APN and use a different name from the one currently on the phone for Public Mobile.  For the APN type, use default,supl,mms.  

diane_h

I've done the Network reset many times already, it doesn't work 😞

@diane_h wrote:

I'm using an LG G7

I have the "set preferred network type: LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)

LG phones require network resets in order to function properly when switching from one carrier to another.  Give that a try.  Network reset is not factory reset.  Network reset only resets the network settings, not the entire phone.  

@diane_h wrote:

I'm using an LG G7

There's a good chance that the easiest way to get your data to work is going to be to perform a factory reset of your phone. Remember this will erase everything, so back things up that you need to keep. I know that your previously said in a different thread that you started that you already tried that, but it's also possible that after the factory reset, you may still need to set the APN settings (not sure if you were changing those before or after the reset previously).

diane_h

I'm using an LG G7

@diane_h , it is mobile network type that determines connection to LTE vs 3G.  Have you checked that setting to make sure it is on LTE preferred.  BTW, what model of phone are you using?

diane_h

Hi,

So I've been struggling with getting my data to work for the past 3 days. I've tried everything. I have a friend with an identical phone and we compared APN, software, hardware, networks, etc,.. all is identical. We did reset and factory resets, manually put in APN's, airplane mode toggling etc..

After going into Mobile Data -> Mobile Networks -> Network Operations I discovered that "Select Automatic" fails. It boots me back to previous screen and when I click "Search Networks" and choose the Public Mobile LTE one, it cannot register it.

My conclusion is something is blocking me from Public Mobile; LTE). For whatever reason it will not register the LTE network. I have reached out to mods with my data issue but it is extremely slow.

Has anyone experienced an issue where they cannot connect to the LTE portion of PM? I can select the other one (Public Mobile: WCDMA)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@diane_h wrote:

I think it is the phone too.

I'm not sure why it had no issue with Fido but can't seem to switch over to PM.

Do you have another friend with a non-Telus-family provider that you can try their SIM in your phone?

diane_h

I think it is the phone too.

I'm not sure why it had no issue with Fido but can't seem to switch over to PM.

diane_h

Ya, my friend has public mobile and really likes it. He has the exact same phone as me, we bought at the same time.

I'll try Mod again, thank you all for the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@diane_h : You said yourself though that the data worked fine in another phone and that another SIM did not work in yours. Seems it's your phone.

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thats saddening to hear that you can’t get your data working. I have no help as I would’ve suggested the same things as other community members have done.

If you ever get a chance to get a new phone, I would recommend you to try Public Mobile again. I suspect it is your phone, but it could of been Public, so whenever you get a new phone, try again, you wont regret it!

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@diane_h wrote:

Here's a screenshot

diane_h_0-1609531114741.png

Maybe reach out to a moderator as suggested by @Triguy and see if they can make any suggestions to get your data working before you consider FIDO.

diane_h

Here's a screenshot

diane_h_0-1609531114741.png

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@diane_h 

Can you log into self service and confirm you have data left? Look under My Data & Add-Ons. If you do not see data listed it has been used up.

diane_h

Just an update...

The issue came back the other day. Data completely not working.

We tried going through the following:

• Airplane mode on and off with power off and wait times
  • Network Resets
  • Manual APN settings
  • Two Factory Resets
  • Check on unrestricted data usage area

In hindsight a horrible time of year to switch carriers. I've decided to go back to Fido as I need my data and nothing seems to work for me. 

@diane_h 

Weirdness....i guess it was slow on the uptake? It will be interesting to see if this happens to other owners of this phone when they switch? Welcome to public mobile....its quirky!

diane_h

Thank you all for the help!

I was able to test the simm card in another phone and it worked no problem. I tested their simm (from Public Mobile) in mine and it didn't work. I did another factory reset, network reset, powered phone off for 10 minutes, reinserted simm card... etc.. Nothing worked. Quadruple checked mobile data was on.

Then out of nowhere it starts working. I signed into Google and it was able to do so without WIFI on. It makes no sense... I think it was like everyone suggested that the LG phones have a hard to switching to new carriers...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@diane_h 

Dang it i lost my post.....if you send a private message put "mobile data not working"  in the subject line and leave a detailed message with everything youve tried so far along with the make and model of your phone. Then in the body of the message include;

1. Full name and address on account.
  2. Phone number, email address and pin#.

If you cannot remember your pin # include at least three of the following:

1. Date of birth
  2.  Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question 
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card. 
  7. Frequently called/texted phone  numbers.
  8. Any rewards in your account.

By including this info you will save yourself the time of having to answer any extra questions to further identify yourself.The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours up to 48 hours however they have been answering in less than an hour the last couple of days.

Keep an eye on your private message box (the envelope icon) next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little bubble to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@diane_h wrote:

I can connect to WIFI perfectly fine. It's just the mobile data that is not working.

Dare I say the obvious...you've turned on mobile data right. 🙂

Had you set a counter in your phone to stop using data at a certain point? Maybe it needs to be reset. Although certainly a factory reset should've wiped that.

Need Help? Let's chat.