cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

reachme
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Voice and data was working on my LG G5 phone earlier and recently I usedmy phone overseas (for 3 weeks) and when I came back data is not working on my public mobile sim

I created APN settings again by following the configuration specified here:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/lg-g5-se

but still it doesn't work. What else could be the issue ? (I can make voicecalls )

thanks

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@reachme yeah that is often the case.  The community suggests trying the network reset first as it's much less work to recover from.  Occasionally it's enough, but often the full factory reset is required. Just so you're aware, this is an LG quirk, with many models affected.  It has nothing to do with PM, but with moving an LG phone from one provider to another.  Glad you got it resolved, and hopefully it wasn't too much hassle.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

reachme

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions.

I had to do factory reset to get it working, nothing else (including network reset) had worked.

Cyberbeagle

Not sure how you performed your network reset but this would be the LG G5 instructions:

Reset network settings

Resetting network settings resets all data connections back to the out of the box factory defaults. The following changes will occur by performing a Reset of network settings.

• Stored Wi-Fi networks will be deleted.
  • Stored tethered connections will be deleted.
  • Paired Bluetooth devices will be deleted.
  • Background data sync settings will be turned on.
  • Data restrictive settings in applications that were manually turned on/off by the customer will be reset to the default setting.
  • Network selection mode will be set to automatic.
  • Preferred mobile network type will be set to best.

The following device connections status will default to when the device was being powered on for the first time.

• Airplane mode: OFF
  • Bluetooth: OFF
  • Data roaming: OFF
  • Mobile hotspot: OFF
  • VPN: OFF
  • Mobile data: ON
  • Wi-Fi: ON

To perform a Network reset, follow these steps.

1. Back up data on the internal memory.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. On the 'General' tab, tap Backup & reset.
  4. Tap Network settings reset > RESET SETTINGS.
  5. Tap Reset Settings.

Hope it helps 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reachme wrote:

Thanks Everyone. I tried network reset as well and that didn't help.

I tried the same sim card on another phone and that works. So it is specific phone issue. Should I do factory reset (though not sure how factory reset will help if network reset didn't help) ?

@reachme  - at this point, it's probably your last option.  Just be sure that you have everything backed up.  There's no undo.

reachme

Thanks Everyone. I tried network reset as well and that didn't help.

I tried the same sim card on another phone and that works. So it is specific phone issue. Should I do factory reset (though not sure how factory reset will help if network reset didn't help) ?

@reachme wrote:

Thanks, though I didn't have this issue when I switched from Rogers to public mobile and it worked without factory reset.

I do not know if a factory reset will solve anything, but what I can say is that I have read that these LG devices only allow 1 or 2 carrier changes before the data connections just stop working.  So, it's at least possible that switching to and from an overseas carrier has triggered the usual strangeness with data connectivity that others have reported on LG devices.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@reachme wrote:

Thanks, though I didn't have this issue when I switched from Rogers to public mobile and it worked without factory reset.

@reachme  regardless, try a network reset.  It's pretty low impact, the only impact is that you will need to re-join any WiFi networks you use, and re-pair any bluetooth devices.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@reachme wrote:

Hi,

Voice and data was working on my LG G5 phone earlier and recently I usedmy phone overseas (for 3 weeks) and when I came back data is not working on my public mobile sim

but still it doesn't work. What else could be the issue ? (I can make voicecalls )

thanks

@reachme

Hi. Maybe you've used up all your allotted data. If you login to your Self-Serve account, does it show that? If you do a one time manual payment, you'll be back in business 🙂

reachme

@reachme wrote:

Hi,

thanks

Some LG Android-based phones are noctorious for needing a network setting reset or a factory reset to get data working again after inserting a sim card from a different carrier. Please note that doing a factory reset will erase all user data.

Need Help? Let's chat.