cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working on phone, used 12GB in two months???

Jon1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can someone please confirm that I have used all my data (12GB) in two months? Checking the online self serve, I cannot see my accumulated data usage. My data is not working on my phone. I just had to purchase 1GB top up at $30 (which is insane..) .

Account# ***********

Thanks,

32 REPLIES 32

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@leandrofontp @Jon1 FYI, PM does not give phone-based support for anyone that signed up after [I forget the exact date in] 2015.  Private messaging a moderator here on the community is the way to get help.  If you're not sure how, please see the two links at the bottom of this reply.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

leandrofontp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi I have this number that i got on text maybe you can give them a call 18882211687

srlawren

@leandrofontp that's great advice in general, but FYI: if it was addressed to the OP @Jon1, his account number was removed a couple of weeks ago already.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

leandrofontp

you should remove your account numer

DealHunter

Uasage Calculator mannually done using your usage history. Excel file can be found with instructions.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/data-usage/m-p/140462#U140462

dboxtvinfo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Patience is a virtue. Give a private email too moderators. Usually there is no more issues when things get fixed. It's same procedure as someone yiu call for bell. Etc .

Now bravo me

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Luddite wrote:

@Quest Indeed PM is NOT the best place for everyone. As far as I can tell though, it is still the best national carrier for unlimited calling alone, or calling + text + data.

Also, as you point out PM, and other cellular carriers for that matter, are not the best for never fail availability. My thoughts: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/SECURITY-OF-SERVICE/m-p/23214#M4783

For the sake of this discussion I didn't mention other carriers. I am relating here to Telus/Koodo which is part of the same family and network as PM.

My focus is mostly on ability to access information and print Invoices even from remote past. You know business people are very busy. They want and sometimes need things to be done quickly.

I don't dispute here value of PM as well. Never had connection problem, so far.

If Telus/Bell network would fail like any other Network I think for business people it would be a little bit easier to get in touch with technical service and learn more about the possible problems and solutions.

PM is actually good for everyone with exception for those that need everything to be solved right away.

dboxtvinfo
Keep data usage off when no using it. Don't be lazy!

@Quest Indeed PM is NOT the best place for everyone. As far as I can tell though, it is still the best national carrier for unlimited calling alone, or calling + text + data.

Also, as you point out PM, and other cellular carriers for that matter, are not the best for never fail availability. My thoughts: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/SECURITY-OF-SERVICE/m-p/23214#M4783

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Quest

What I realized, in some extreme cases Koodo will be better option for some folks, especially when they have been using their phones mostly for busines purpose. As a business person you need probably all the time access to your invoices or your records whether your data is finished or not.

I would say PM businesses model is more relaxed one. We are here to treat each other like club members that use phones mostly for the purpose of entertainment so if something happens with connection and so on we know we can handle it easier because nothing dramatic is going to happen when we are disconnected.

On the other hand from a business point of view you can loose money or potential customers or even your business if you just one day without connection.

So relax folks and take it easy when you on PM or switch to Telus or Koodo.

zmh1175

@Jon1 wrote:

When I log into my account, Under "My Add-Ons", it doesnt show my 12gb data pack. So I have no way to know the total data usage. My friends PM account has his 12GB data showing under "My Add-Ons" and it shows the total data used. Can you look into this?

after you used up the data. it wont show up anything. 

Quest

@stonechucker wrote:

...Lastly, if PM were to give this extra data from your next cycle, what happens if there's never a next cycle to be paid for?  PM would be out compensation if you were to not renew and/or port out prior to renewal...

@stonechucker You have to read very carefully other users posts and comments including mine. I never suggested to do that on blind faith. PM would have to find some way to be sure that we will live up to our obligations.

To the poster suggesting borrowing from your next cycle the overage amount of data,

Firstly, it's not your bucket of data until it's added to your plan, and as you've not topped up yet, there's no bucket to give.

Lastly, if PM were to give this extra data from your next cycle, what happens if there's never a next cycle to be paid for?  PM would be out compensation if you were to not renew and/or port out prior to renewal.

Quest

Hey, @TheOldVR I think @ute1978 is right we are getting into Koodo territories. They have their whole network of add-ons, overages and so on that could be good for someone who occasionally needs some extra data. In that case switching to Koodo wouldn't be a bad idea. They are also post-paid so it means they give you some form of credit ahead of time.

Quest

@ute1978 wrote:

@Quest wrote:

...why not at the end of the cycle, really end, if someone runs out of data, be able to borrow some data from the new cycle with no extra cost involved but some kind of assurance that they are going to renew their plan.

Never going to happen. PM is a prepaid service. It is like a prepaid credit card. If you run out of credit, you will not be able to use it any more.

@ute1978 You may be right but PM is so creative in many ways that I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with some simple solution to that. Although, like you, I have huge doubts that it actually could happen.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ute1978 wrote:

@Quest wrote:

...why not at the end of the cycle, really end, if someone runs out of data, be able to borrow some data from the new cycle with no extra cost involved but some kind of assurance that they are going to renew their plan.

Never going to happen. PM is a prepaid service. It is like a prepaid credit card. If you run out of credit, you will not be able to use it any more.

@ute1978 Tend to agree with you... prepaid is what it is.

ute1978

@Quest wrote:

Quest

@Jon1 wrote:

Can someone please confirm that I have used all my data (12GB) in two months? Checking the online self serve, I cannot see my accumulated data usage. My data is not working on my phone. I just had to purchase 1GB top up at $30 (which is insane..) .

Account# ***********

Thanks,

@Jon1 You will need some confirmation from PM Rep or Moderator but I think it is a greater problem here. We have a three groups of data users: 

1. 1GB users their data can last one year or more and it is minority group.
  2. 3GB-12GB users and they can use all data or don't know what to do with remaing one at the end of their 90 day cycle.
  3. 12GB users and more if they could. It is also minority group. In this group are also people with emergencies but they don't usually go over 12GB.

It would be good to put friendly argument for discussion on this forum why not at the end of the cycle, really end, if someone runs out of data, be able to borrow some data from the new cycle with no extra cost involved but some kind of assurance that they are going to renew their plan.

ute1978

Also you should check if your phone is syncing with outside storage like the cloud where Photos and other data is backed up in the background. 

srlawren

Thanks @xCameron94x, I thought it was named something like that.  Appreciate the info!  Yeah it's likely aimed more at the US market with all their wonderful unlimited data plans.  Oh well.

@srlawren its wi-fi assit. the first thing i did when i got an iphone was turn that bugger off. It could be a useful feature if you had unlimited data, but its more of an inconvenicence when you're limited 

srlawren

@Jon1 what kind of phone are you using?  In addition to the things listed already for tracking down your data usage, if you have an iPhone, there is a setting you should check. I don't have an iPhone so I don't know the exact name, but there is a setting where the phone will automatically use mobile data even when you are attached to a WiFi network, to help give you faster speed.  The downside is that it will also use up your data a lot faster if you think you're only using WiFi data but you're not.

its important to know what apps are using the most of your data, (yes data can be used in the app background, i have that turned off for me). Also if you watch videos or stream music that will use a good portion of your data. My one friend has always gone through his data because of apps like youtube. This is one of the downsides I find with a pre-paid service, once you use your allocated amount, it just stops, and you have to buy more. $30 does seem high for 1 GB, because when i was on postpaid my overage rate was $5/250mb.

Just need better data control and only use if for apps that you use the most 

mimmo

another option, is to ask a mod to manually renew your plan (assuming you are on teh fall promo)  It might be more economical than buying a 1 gb addon especially if you tthink you might need more than one over the next 30 days.

mimmo

I use My data manager for andoid and think is great.  its free and does a great job of tracking your usage.  The problem with the stock android data tracking is it is based on months, not 90 days, while data manager does teh 90 days.  

@Jon1  If you ahve an android it has data tracking deatures.  If you have an iphone there are some great apps t o track data and have wanrings.  I use My Data Manager and i love it.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

This is a known glitch - if the data has been fully consumed, it 'disappears' from the self-serve. However, you should have been able to view your usage when you had data remaining. We also send text messages regarding  usage reminders at 75% and 95% of data consumption. Please view this post for more details and suggestions for data trackers that can help 😛 http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Data-not-working-How-can-I-find-out-my-data...

Regards,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Jon1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I log into my account, Under "My Add-Ons", it doesnt show my 12gb data pack. So I have no way to know the total data usage. My friends PM account has his 12GB data showing under "My Add-Ons" and it shows the total data used. Can you look into this?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Jon1,

Thank you for reaching out to us and raising concern regarding your data usage, you've come to the right place for help!

After looking into it, I can confirm that your 12GB of data have been fully consumed - the information reflected on our end is accurate. For future reference, you should be able to track your usage directly through your self-serve account 🙂

I hope this heps,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

TheOldVR

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

@Jon1  You should remove your account number from your post, and send it in a private message to one of hte moderators tagged below.

@Shazia_K

With that said the My Account usage data is very accurate.

LOL @CaNuCk07 Guess it's true... great minds do think alike!!!

Need Help? Let's chat.