cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working as of First Day of New Year (Jan 1 2017)

sseto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I am a new customer ported from Telus a few days ago. 

As of today (Jan 1, 2017) my data has stopped working (it was working prior).  On my phone I only have the reception icon whereas it used to have the 4G LTE icon.  The calling/texting works fine.

Can someone on the Public Mobile Side check that my account has data activated and that nothing was disabled/changed in my account that would impact my data?  In addition, any suggestions to troubleshoot? @Shazia_K

Thanks

-Suzanne

13 REPLIES 13

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bostik that's weird, the 3T should be fine after fixing the APN.  

If you go to Settings, SIM & network, is your Mobile data turned on?  What's your Preferred network type? 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @bostik

Sorry to hear about the data issue, 

Please send me a private message if you require any assistance. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

bostik
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I have a One Plus 3 and it occurred after I upgraded to Android Nougat on Jan 1.. I'm still having the problem. I have already tried:

1. Manually adding my APN settings using the settings found here:
    https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/1212_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_oneplus_one.php
  2. Turning on airplane mode for 5 minutes and then turning off.
  3. Rebooting my phone.

Please help. Thanks.

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
That's explains that lol

I beleive the manufacturer or software developers instal these apns, when they recognize a sim it'll auto populate. I beleive some companies unfortunately still aren't including Public Mobile. I also could be very wrong.

Most manufacturers don't care and carriers want to sell their locked devices with minimum APN settings.  In the custom rom community, they use an open source APN configuration file that contains APN data for virtually every carrier in the world.  It takes nothing for manufacturers to use that APN database.  

Rockdaddy22
That's explains that lol

I beleive the manufacturer or software developers instal these apns, when they recognize a sim it'll auto populate. I beleive some companies unfortunately still aren't including Public Mobile. I also could be very wrong.

jaswest2754
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Its not that unusual. My Xperia Z5 Compact didn't even have Bell APN settings when I bought it. Of course its from somewhere in Europe as you can not get that phone in Canada.

Rockdaddy22
Might have something to do with Public Mobile being so new. Not sure if that could mean anything.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It's rather strange to see unlocked phones not having a comprehensive APN configuration file to support auto population of APN settings.  I had to help a friend set up a ZTE Axon which also wasn't able to auto populate APN settings.  I am used to using third party roms on my phones.  So far, I have never had to manually enter APN settings regardless of which carrier I use.  I have used a lot of carriers over the years.

sseto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All,

Thanks for all the quick assistance and replies.

It was my APN settings that were deleted as I do have a One Plus 3T

I went to this site to obtain the settings (which you can get for pretty much any carrier/phone) for my specific configuration.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/1660_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_oneplus_3t.php

Thanks again community!

-Suzanne

I know that with some phones, the 3G/H/LTE data icons would still show up even if there was a mistake in the APN settings, but the data services just wouldn't work.  But if the APN settings were completely blank, the phone would probably disable mobile data completely (it wouldn't even try to connect to it).   It's still a good idea to check the settings, but if you haven't changed anything your end, it's quite possible that data is disabled at account level. 

I know that when you call into a cell phone company's customer service and ask them to block data usage (some customers only have talk plans and don't want any chance at being charged pay-per-use charges at other providers), you can have the APN settings still set on your phone but the connection gets refused at the network end (and your 3g/H/LTE data icon will never light up).  So, it is possible that something at the cell carrier's end is preventing the connection.

dohadotahmed
If your apn settings are correct then turn airplane mode on for 5 minutes and then turn it off. May be it can help.

mimmo

What, phone are you using?  Might be good to double check or delete then readd the apn.

Have you power cycled your phone? What does your data usage in self serve say?

hopetindall

do you have a OnePlus phone and did you update to Oxygen 4.0?

If so - this may have deleted your APN which needs to be recreated.

Need Help? Let's chat.