cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DennyCrane
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Data cuts in and out

I've been a PM customer for a couple months now, coming from 20 years with TELUS. I work from home, so I haven't really had lots of opportunity to test my LTE (3G throttled) data much, hence why I waited so long to post this question. 

Right from the start I noticed inconsistencies in my data connection. When it works, it works great. I was initially concerned with the 3MBPS cap, but it actually doesn't affect me all that much. My issue is that the data seems to cut out quite frequently when I'm not on WiFi. It's not slow, it just doesn't work. But 'LTE+' shows great signal on my Pixel 3a. How I can tell is that it won't load a website, or a more common issue is that I try to send a WhatsApp message and the message gets stuck with the clock (not delivered to the server) for 40 seconds, or even upwards of two minutes. 

At first I thought maybe this was a one off, but even with how infrequently I leave WiFi, it happens EVERY time I am on LTE. And it's not the initial switchover; it happens after I've already been on LTE for some time and have been using the data connection without issue. I am not moving positions, and I'm in a very good signal location. And it happens several times per session. 

I have no idea what's going on, but this is not going to work for me. I tried my wife's phone today and was able to reproduce the same result within a minute.

As far as troubleshooting is concerned, I tried rebooting my phone and resetting APN settings to default. Any other thoughts on what I can try?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Re: Data cuts in and out

Can you 'force' the phone to use 3G, @DennyCrane 

This may or may not be relevant to your situation - read it on another thread and just throwing it out there...

@DennyCrane wrote:

I've been a PM customer for a couple months now, coming from 20 years with TELUS. I work from home, so I haven't really had lots of opportunity to test my LTE (3G throttled) data much, hence why I waited so long to post this question. 

Right from the start I noticed inconsistencies in my data connection. When it works, it works great. I was initially concerned with the 3MBPS cap, but it actually doesn't affect me all that much. My issue is that the data seems to cut out quite frequently when I'm not on WiFi. It's not slow, it just doesn't work. But 'LTE+' shows great signal on my Pixel 3a. How I can tell is that it won't load a website, or a more common issue is that I try to send a WhatsApp message and the message gets stuck with the clock (not delivered to the server) for 40 seconds, or even upwards of two minutes. 

At first I thought maybe this was a one off, but even with how infrequently I leave WiFi, it happens EVERY time I am on LTE. And it's not the initial switchover; it happens after I've already been on LTE for some time and have been using the data connection without issue. I am not moving positions, and I'm in a very good signal location. And it happens several times per session. 

I have no idea what's going on, but this is not going to work for me. I tried my wife's phone today and was able to reproduce the same result within a minute.

As far as troubleshooting is concerned, I tried rebooting my phone and resetting APN settings to default. Any other thoughts on what I can try?

Since this only happens when you're connected to the LTE network, I don't see this as an APN setting issue. The settings are either right or they're not in the sense that if not correct, data wouldn't work at all. Also, the APN settings are the same whether you're connecting to LTE or HSPA.  

A few weeks back, I did notie that I couldn't use data when I was connected to LTE. This was a one-off thing as disconnecting mobile data and reconnecting fixed it immediately. It also hasn't happened to me since. 

I would try comparing the performance the 3Mbps LTE performance to HSPA network performances. There are places that it can perform just as well, with equally good pings.

DennyCrane

I can try to force HSPA, but it seems odd that LTE worked fine when I was with TELUS, but now on PM it loses the connection (even though it shows a connection) so often. It's the same network after all. 

@DennyCrane wrote:

I can try to force HSPA, but it seems odd that LTE worked fine when I was with TELUS, but now on PM it loses the connection (even though it shows a connection) so often. It's the same network after all. 

I suspect that this could be the result of something possibly going wrong with the artificial speed limiting that is imposed on customers while using the LTE network for the current price plans. 

DennyCrane

Do you think it's worth contacting a moderator over? I have several friends and family members in PM, and none have reported this issue (except my wife).

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yup, it is @DennyCrane 

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click on the chat bubble in the lower right and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

DennyCrane

Thanks. Ticket logged. I wasn't able to provide details, but I'm sure I will be able to once they respond. 

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

yea, let us know how it works out if tey find anything.

Sometimes the data is sketchy or drop little.  should not happen often.  unless it is normal in your area, thats another issue .

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane 

It couldn't hurt to toggle airplane mode on/off. Maybe a new connection to the network will help.

Need Help? Let's chat.