cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charliewilliams
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Data cuts in and out

it may be that your phone is a bit old and is using a network it cant handle.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@charliewilliams wrote:

it may be that your phone is a bit old and is using a network it cant handle.

It can't handle the network?  If the phone can't handle the network, it doesn't work. It doesn't disoconnect when using data.

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane I also experience the same thing. airplane mode and switching to HSPA are the two workarounds. 

how is the pixel 3a old?

Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors

i have found that when a tower is overcrowded (usually the best signal) pm customers will get transfered to a tower further away and worse signal. airplane mode is the fastest fix, but don't be surprised if you get kicked off that tower again. with HSPA I do not have this issue, instead my battery life takes a hit. I just leave LTE on and use airplane mode, it takes 2 seconds. this happens here and there when I'm at home and at work

DennyCrane

The Pixel 3a is not even 2 years old. It wasn't released until April 2019, and I didn't get it until summer. 

It's just so odd that on TELUS I never had this issue. It's not the end of the world right now because of working from home and being locked up for covid, but if this is how it's always going to be I'll probably switch back to TELUS or maybe Koodo once we're back to more normal times and not stuck at home all the time.

I have great signal, yet the data just stops working. And it happens all the time. I just went out for an hour and barely touched my phone. At one point I sent a WhatsApp message to my wife from a parking lot in Langley with full signal, and it took 20 seconds to be delivered. Once it kicked in I was able to continue using it without issue for the next couple messages. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane it may have something to do with Public Mobile's throttling they do on LTE, which isnt throttled on 3G HSPA - it might be interesting to force 3G (HSPA/WCDMA) for a while and see if you notice any difference in behaviour?

DennyCrane

Thanks I'll try 3G. My concern with that though is that as more and more network capacity is shifted to 4 and 5g, that 3g may become less and less reliable. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane 

No I agree... but for troubleshooting for now. I also noticed PM has no IPv6, only IPv4 and the traceroute seems sub-optimal routing through alberta and US to get back to a canada IP in Vancouver or Regina. Do you recall if Telus Mobility "flagship" LTE offered IPv6?

With IPv4 only theres at least one layer of NAT going on, which may incur low TCP  connection idle timeouts, which could be what you're observing - old connection dead, new connection works when it retries after 20s etc....

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane

Telus is top tier. they have first dibs on the best towers...

turn off your phone and remove and reinstall the sim. then do a network reset. it shouldn't be happening all the time.

open settings
scroll down to system
tap on reset options
tap reset wifi,mobile & Bluetooth
tap reset settings and restart

DennyCrane

I have tried removing the sim and powering down for 5 minutes. Didn't make a difference. Mods reset something at their end, which didn't help either. 

I've been on 3G for the last few hours and that seems to work. I wouldn't call that a solution, but it is definitely working well. 

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane Langley has a lot of trees... 

you can check the cell towers in the area by using this site.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

• Dial *#*#4636#*#* 
  • then tap phone information

you can find out the frequency and match it up with ertyu to find the tower you may be connecting too. 

earfcn is the frequency in MHz

use signal strength to estimate which tower it might be

I usually lose connection when I'm connected to 5255 MHz(700mhz band) the tower is about 1.5km away

Need Help? Let's chat.