cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charges for MSM ([picture messaging)

kemondga
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone. Today's been my first day and I'm just tinkering around and looking on the forum for answers. I signed up for the 40$ 4G plan with unlimited International text and picture messaging. I have an iPhone 8. I am able to send and receive picture messages but they show up as a data usage on my usage tab in my account. It says I've use 9 MB so far based on sending and receiving a couple photos. It also shows that this 9MB is coming from my monthly data allotment. Why am I being charged in data for these messages? 

I have SMS/MSM turned on like I read from other messages. My APN is what it's supposed to be (I can't change any other settings anyways) and my iMessage is on. I've turned off data for every other application I can find and the "events" for data usage coincide with sending and receiving photos from my family who are not iPhone users.

Is there something else I'm missing that could help me not incur usage through photo messaging?

Thanks 

10 REPLIES 10

@kemondga from what I gather here, there's a little data leakage with iPhones and using mms. Stay safe.

MMS attachments require an active cellular data connection and correct APN settings.

But even though they are transmitted across data they do not consume any data (as far as PM's plan provisions are concerned). You can login to Self-Serve and check usage yourself, each MMS is reported as an "MMS Event" which consumes 0.000KB of billable data.

Enhanced MMS formats - like those used by iMessage, RCS, Signal, MMS Sharing, etc - do not use standard MMS protocols and so are not recognized (or categorized) by the Telus network hardware as free "MMS Events". They will consume your billable data. If you don't want to pay for this data then you must disable whatever extra MMS functions/enhancements your messaging app supports.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk wrote:

The issue I have with iMessage and an iPhone is when you are away from wifi.....you don’t receive iMessages unless you turn your data on. So I only assume the only way to receive messages from another iPhone I would have to turn off iMessage when I go out.  And that would be a hassle and won’t happen. But texting will work from non Apple devices. So right now I just turn my data on every now and then to see if I have any iMessages. Then the other questions are.....what if I turned iMessage off on my phone and the sender uses my email address to send......and then there is the issue....do whatever to your phone and your other devices at home on wifi will get the message.  So no matter what...you have to turn your data on. Telcoms must love iPhones. 

Where's the copyright? 'Cause that last line is the key to whole game. 🙂

iMessage uses data, but not that much. just leave it on. only enable mobile data when there is no wifi and you are out and about. otherwise just leave it disabled.

@kemondga 

if you want to save on data follow these instructions

Disable apps auto update
iTunes & App Stores > Turn Off Use Cellular / Mobile Data

Disable background data
Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Turn it Off entirely or by selective Apps

Disable iCloud sync
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > Turn Off iCloud Drive

Disable Wifi Assist
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > scroll to bottom > Wi-Fi Assist > turn OFF

Disable data on certain apps
Go to Settings > Cellular > Scroll through and disable applications you don't want to used your Cellular Data

The issue I have with iMessage and an iPhone is when you are away from wifi.....you don’t receive iMessages unless you turn your data on. So I only assume the only way to receive messages from another iPhone I would have to turn off iMessage when I go out.  And that would be a hassle and won’t happen. But texting will work from non Apple devices. So right now I just turn my data on every now and then to see if I have any iMessages. Then the other questions are.....what if I turned iMessage off on my phone and the sender uses my email address to send......and then there is the issue....do whatever to your phone and your other devices at home on wifi will get the message.  So no matter what...you have to turn your data on. Telcoms must love iPhones. 

kemondga

There's a 1 under Data Usage for MMS.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kemondga , in the usage history, actual MMS shows up as a data event but with no added usage.  

kemondga

Thanks a lot!! So turning off iMessage might solve the problem when using data? 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@kemondga there is also. 5mb buffer so the total 9mb is more like 4mb of usage. if you would like to know the exact usage just login to your self serve, then toggle airplane mode on/off on your device, then refresh the self serve page. Everytime data is requested you will see the 5mb buffer

@kemondga wrote:

I have SMS/MSM turned on like I read from other messages. My APN is what it's supposed to be (I can't change any other settings anyways) and my iMessage is on. I've turned off data for every other application I can find and the "events" for data usage coincide with sending and receiving photos from my family who are not iPhone users.

I believe that you just answered your own question.

When you are using iMessage, any text message or multimedia messages going through the iMessage servers simply ceases to be either SMS or MMS.  It is no longer being sent using those traditional protocols and the data used for these activitities will count. I believe that when you have both SMS/MMS and iMessage turned on, the device prefers to send it over iMessage whenever possible.

Need Help? Let's chat.