cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data being used up but always on wifi

Markp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

first time since being on public and ive used up my data some how, I have my ios counter reset yesterday and since im always on wifi it showed I only used 22mb of data, i have basically most things turned off of cellular data. The counter showed at 12:54 that i used 260mb, its not possible as i was in my office and on wifi. To be honest i wasnt using the phone. this has happened over the last few days using 500mb and 600mb and so on. All between the times of 12-1pm and on 1 shot uses on the public counter(230mb all at once, 500mb all at once etc. I havent used much more than 1gb ever. now ive burned through more than 5gb in one month? in 5 days to be exact? I've contacted a moderator sent screen shots but haven't heard back.  Anyone else run into this? This is an iphone btw

39 REPLIES 39

@Markp wrote:

Actually I had done those things many moons ago and have since turned more off. As I said earlier there is no way I downloaded all  that all at once. While connected to wifi. In fact if it wasn’t for these past 5 days I have virtually no data used since June since I seldom leave wifi . This is the reason I wonder if something is wrong on public’s side as my iOS said I only used 22mb that past day and public’s tracker said it was 260mb

Hi @Markp it seemed the IOS 13 had some bugs that was never resolved by Apple including the mysterious data consumption.  Read this Forbes article

But alas, Apple has released IOS 14 on Sept 16 to hopefully solve all the glitches in IOS 13.

If you haven't downloaded the IOS 14 here's the link 

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/16/when-download-ios-14-ipados-14-time-zones/

I hope this helps.  Come back and let us know what happens.  Good luck! 😊

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Not an iPhone user, so I won't comment on that, except that it might be worthwhile going back to double check the data use settings, as using a new provider and/or a recent OS update might have reset some of them.

Be aware that the numbers in the usage history are cumulative reflecting the approximate 12hours before the posting. It's eastern time, with no am/pm indications.

The data counter on the overview page is pretty much real time, with a buffer added as mentioned above (which resets once the data session is ended). If you don't see the data line, your data is used up.

Markp

Actually I had done those things many moons ago and have since turned more off. As I said earlier there is no way I downloaded all  that all at once. While connected to wifi. In fact if it wasn’t for these past 5 days I have virtually no data used since June since I seldom leave wifi . This is the reason I wonder if something is wrong on public’s side as my iOS said I only used 22mb that past day and public’s tracker said it was 260mb

@Markp get in the habit of turning off your data when you're not using it.

there could be something wrong... contact customer support mods

the only way to really know is to not have both wifi and data on. just use one or the other. then you should be able to see what's going on.

Markp

Yes I had turned that off the minute it became an option also double checked that again 

@Markp wrote:

IOS says i only used 22mb yesterday, but counter said 260ish mb

Do you have wifi assist on?  If your wifi signal isn't the greatest your data plan will kick in when required

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Markp

IOS says i only used 22mb yesterday, but counter said 260ish mb

Markp

just and fyi I never usually turn my data off ever until now because it looks like i will burn through my data for no reason and yes updates are off, i only manually update anyway 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There is a data buffer of like 5.82mb when data is turned on.  Make sure you disable updates for apps automatically.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Maybe when your wifi signal is weak then your phone is trying to connect using data.

Need Help? Let's chat.