cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data being used up but always on wifi

Markp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

first time since being on public and ive used up my data some how, I have my ios counter reset yesterday and since im always on wifi it showed I only used 22mb of data, i have basically most things turned off of cellular data. The counter showed at 12:54 that i used 260mb, its not possible as i was in my office and on wifi. To be honest i wasnt using the phone. this has happened over the last few days using 500mb and 600mb and so on. All between the times of 12-1pm and on 1 shot uses on the public counter(230mb all at once, 500mb all at once etc. I havent used much more than 1gb ever. now ive burned through more than 5gb in one month? in 5 days to be exact? I've contacted a moderator sent screen shots but haven't heard back.  Anyone else run into this? This is an iphone btw

39 REPLIES 39

@Markp 

Here's a thread dealing with the issue I'm talking about. Put it in your message to the moderators.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Data-used-up/m-p/462238

@Markp 

Well now that you have a reference and some proof that this has happened before maybe you will get somewhere with the moderators. I'll look thru my private messages to see what the moderator had to say about my case at the time.

Markp

No kids that could use it, too young also my phones iOS is not showing any data being used 

Markp

I’ve submitted another ticket I hope I can come to a resolution. 5 gigs for me was an upgrade so to burn through this is crazy for me. I’ve never used this much and my phone says I haven’t. I had a plan with 2 gigs before this and never used much more than 1 at the highest. I don’t watch videos, basically use it for email mostly and messaging.

@Markp 

The last couple of days that you have been showing small amounts of data used you have been out of data.....correct? I can't explain why that happens but it's perfectly normal. Below is my bf's daily data usage after using up all his data. You can see that the last day he had data it was recorded twice a day. After that its only updated and recorded once a day. The last two days shown he had lost his phone (yes yet again!!) It continued to show usage for two more days until the battery completely died and i suspended service. So that part of usage on your phone is normal.

The unusually high amount of data usage while on WiFi at first I was thinking it may be a weird hidden app like a vintners app a member had accidently downloaded that measured soil and air temperature 24 hours a day and burned thru his data in about 24 hours. But you're on WiFi so that doesn't make sense.

Then I remembered a very similar situation that many members experienced including myself (sort of but that's another story....)

Last December when the more the merrier campaign was launched and the self service accounts were given access to load the free holiday giveaways of 1gb of data and 400 Intl. calling min add ons. The website almost crashed and it caused some spin off effects. The main one was suddenly a bunch of customers had their mobile data being used at an alarming rate despite being at work or home and on WiFi. They were met with skepticism until there was too many to deny there was a problem and enough of them who had recently renewed and kept meticulous records of their accounts with screenshots were able to prove that the system was wonky.

I think you are experiencing a very similar but isolated glitch like that one. Reference this issue pm had around December 4th 2019......when you get in contact with the moderators. Perhaps another member who had this issue will be able to give you an escalated ticket reference number that the tech team had worked on to isolate and correct the issue. My ticket had many other account issues on it so it would not be a good reference. Best of luck i hope this helps you.

Screenshot_20200920-070332.pngScreenshot_20200920-065534.png

@Markp are there any kids in the household?

create a new ticket using SIMon. 

@Markp wrote:

Is there a way to escalate as I have not heard in 2-3 days from my ticket 

Hello @Markp ,

If you have not heard back from a ticket after this long and you feel you need to bring this to the moderators attention, put in another one.

But, have you been able to determine where the data has been used up?

To contact the Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1-Click the question mark on the bottom right hand side of your screen to talk to SIMon the chat bot.

esjliv_0-1600607244145.png

https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

OR

2-Contact the Moderator_Team via private message using this link.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Markp

Is there a way to escalate as I have not heard in 2-3 days from my ticket 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Markp Yikes! Something is certainly going on. Have you contacted a moderator either through ticket or directly? Surely they must have a tech department who could look into this for you. I'm looking at thousandths and you are into thousands!

Markp

Maybe I will try this next but I don’t see a solution unless @CS_Agent can please help. I have opened a ticket and did a back and forth a bit. Then everything stopped once I showed screen shots of my iPhone data used compared to the self serve

Markp

Yes like that but when I had my data on I was getting very high usage like 500-600mb sometimes.

You all have to understand I’ve never used more than 1-2 gigs a month ever. And usually around 1 gig. Especially since covid hit I am in wifi 99% of my week. Now in 5 days I use up all + more of my 5 gigs of data. This doesn’t make sense

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Markp  tonight before going to bed. Pull your sim card out of the phone. Put it back in when you wake up. See if any data is used between 12.-1 like last two days.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Markp When you check your usage (not the total showing on your account page, click View Usage) does it show data events like mine below?

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 9.25.38 AM.png

I was at home on wifi during those events, mind you I still had data turned on. As the amounts when I notice this are in the "thousandths" of a MB , I never really gave it much thought.

Have you opened a ticket or otherwise contacted the moderators to have them look into it? 

Markp

Just to keep you all updated again between 12-1 I have data being used again. I have had cellular data off for 2 days now. All be it very small amount of data it’s still data. Just so you all understand, cellular data is off and I havent left wifi, I don’t get it

@gpixel wrote:

@Markp wether your data is off or not. if you use MMS or iMessage your data will automatically turn on to send those messages. activating the 5mb buffer.

And what iPhone turns data on automatically to use MMS or iMessage??????

@Markp wether your data is off or not. if you use MMS or iMessage your data will automatically turn on to send those messages. activating the 5mb buffer.

follow @darlicious suggestion, to show the true amount in your self serve account

@Markp 

You can use airplane mode to zero out your data buffer. But it will return once your device connects with mobile data again.

Markp

I have that every day it never was zeroed? 

@Markp wrote:

Ok just an update again between 12-1 12:22 specifically self serve says I used 1.5mb. My cellular data has been turned off. Then again at 5:24 used about .5 mb . Not a lot but my cellular data has been off for about 24 hours

In usage history if you are talking about Call Type = Web

This is from another  thread:

Mayor / Maire
Re: Web Call Type

@Debb  If you turn your data off and on or even turn your phone off with data enabled, your phone will call to the public mobile data server. This is to enable mms on your phone

This type of data is free for everyone. So don't worry about it. It's all good. It is removed by pm so in your case, you should always see 0 eventually.

Markp

Ok just an update again between 12-1 12:22 specifically self serve says I used 1.5mb. My cellular data has been turned off. Then again at 5:24 used about .5 mb . Not a lot but my cellular data has been off for about 24 hours

On your iPhone, settings, cellular, reset statistics when your 30 day cycle starts. Will show total usage AND by App. Disallow Apps to use data etc. Best.....turn off data when not using it. 

Markp

I’m on iPhone so can’t use that app

I use Data Witness PM, available from the PlayStore. Apparently written by a former/current customer? Works very well and is very accurate.

@Markp are you positive about that?

did you click on the data column to organize the usage?

how about just going through each page and then adding your data up. do not organize it

I think your phone is the issue, from now on only go by the data counter in your self serve account

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8433389

Markp

Just so everyone knows my self serve only shows that I used roughly 1.5gb of data for the past 30 days yet I’m now using up a 1 gb data add on that I have. The moderator said to me he confirmed I used my 5gb already yet for the past 30 days I’ve only used 1.5 gb according to their own counter??  Very odd @CS_Agent 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Markp  you can that's another topic however. The apn if it starts with SP Some have to change it to start with ISP for it to work or vice versa.

Hopefully the moderators will be able to sort your issue out with your data.

Markp

Never used hotspot on my phone but not sure you can on public with iPhone 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Out of curiosity. Have you ever used hotspot on your iPhone? Or gave someone else the hotspot code? Maybe your hotspot is still active and it's automatically connecting to someone else that used it in the past.

Just a thought...

Markp

I have contacted moderator, had some back and forth until I sent screen shots of both my phones actual usage and my self serve data numbers to prove it doesn’t make sense. I have looked over all my settings as I’ve stated earlier for a year I bet I hadn’t used 5gb now in 5 days I’ve used more that that apparently. Nothing changed I only update manually and only on wifi so definitely not that. 

So it appears you are not dependant on DATA...so as others do including me....I turn it OFF all the time and back on when want to use and then back to OFF. 

Need Help? Let's chat.