cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data amount used is higher in My Account than what is shown on my phone

cfgrocker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all!

I just made a new account today, and I am happy with the service so far. However, when I look at the data used in My Account, it says I used 3MB more than what is displayed on my phone's data usage. Is this normal?

I would not like to run out of data by the end of the month just because My Account says I used more than what I actually did.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

@Hails01 wrote:

Why is PM telling me I'm out of data when my phone says I still have lots left? 90% of teh time my phone is on wifi

Hi @Hails01 go to your self serve account https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

and check your data usage and history here.  PM usage counter is pretty accurate.

data usage history.png

If a feature is not listed above, it may have been fully consumed and no longer available for use.

@Hails01 wrote:

Why is PM telling me I'm out of data when my phone says I still have lots left? 90% of teh time my phone is on wifi

Phone data counters are based on a billing cycle starting on the same day each month. At Public Mobile, that doesn't happen because all of the currently offered plans are 30 days in length. 

Hails01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Jeremy135

My account says that also but it’s very minor I don’t think you have to worry about running out of data because of a few mb 

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cfgrocker wrote:

Hi all!

I just made a new account today, and I am happy with the service so far. However, when I look at the data used in My Account, it says I used 3MB more than what is displayed on my phone's data usage. Is this normal?

I would not like to run out of data by the end of the month just because My Account says I used more than what I actually did.

Thanks!

Never go by what your phone says. Always keep traxk of data in your account page for the most accurate info. My phone would always show that I use for 400 mb higher than the real amount.

There might be apps out there that do a better job of tracking data than your phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@moegagner wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@cfgrocker 

Fairly common to have minor difference between phone and PM data tracker.  PM data tracker is quite accurate though and the official tracker for data use purposes.  

Sometimes, when the plan activates and renews, there is about 4-5 MB that is already used for some purpose, but otherwise, the phone and pm tracker usually matches reasonably well.  

Well, the same thing happened to me at the beginning of April after about 1 week of usage.. The dicrepency that I had was over 255 MB's and I never received a plausible explanation. Also, a couple of times I noticed data usage when my phone was on Wi-FI overnight; something like 12 MB's. So, you can trow that 4-5 MB difference out the window.

Many challengers have come and gone thinking that the system is not metering data properly.

There IS a buffer created that grabs exactly 5.293 mb of data on the mere turning on of data mode. It keeps a running buffer as it gets used. Then without use it eventually clears the buffer or some phones will release it immediately after turning data mode off and the meter returns to reality.

Phones can do a lot of things on their own. Update the OS, update apps, check emails, check feeds etc. I seem to think some phones will failover to cell data on their own on weak wifi.

moegagner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Dunkman wrote:

@cfgrocker 

Fairly common to have minor difference between phone and PM data tracker.  PM data tracker is quite accurate though and the official tracker for data use purposes.  

Sometimes, when the plan activates and renews, there is about 4-5 MB that is already used for some purpose, but otherwise, the phone and pm tracker usually matches reasonably well.  

Well, the same thing happened to me at the beginning of April after about 1 week of usage.. The dicrepency that I had was over 255 MB's and I never received a plausible explanation. Also, a couple of times I noticed data usage when my phone was on Wi-FI overnight; something like 12 MB's. So, you can trow that 4-5 MB difference out the window.

cfgrocker

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep this in mind for the future. 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@cfgrocker , this is an often discussed topic.  Our own data meters never seem to fully agree with the one Public Mobile uses.  Then there's the mystery 5 MB that appear when reset means starting at 0.  It's a difficult thing to prove inaccuracies with the official meter.  I just accept it and all the consequences that go with acceptance.  

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@cfgrocker 

Need Help? Let's chat.