cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekhekh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Data Usage Not Accurate

My most recent months plan started on Aug 30th, and then three days later I received a text informing me that I had used 75% of my data. I hadn’t changed anything about how I used my phone (no new apps, minimal streaming, used mostly wifi, etc) and so it’s basically impossible for me to have jumped my usage so suddenly. I rarely go over my data at the end of my plan period. I’m a week into my plan and now I’m being told that I’ve used 95% of my data. This seems incredibly inaccurate - help? 

t_p
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Data Usage Not Accurate

There seems to be many complaints about inaccurate data usage lately.

You could ask Customer Service for assistance via Chatbot Or Private Messaging if you're sure that the issue is not at your end.

Private Messages - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Dunkman
Oracle

@ekhekh 

How much data do you have each month?  

The PM data tracker is usually fairly accurate.  You can check the usage history from your PM self service account to see whether something unexpectantly happened.  Sometimes something in the background in your phone uses up data.  ie. update on an app.  Or sometimes Wifi cuts off and your phone uses data automatically.  

Rarely, the data tracker does not reset with plan renewal.  

If after checking usage history, you believe that there was an error.  Then you can contact customer service agent (CSA) to check.  

softech
Mayor / Maire

@ekhekh 

did you logon to My Account and confirm the usage from Overview Tab -> My Data&Add-Ons?  there is a line about data and does it show you used 95% there?  You can ignore the text if the data usage showing there is different.  The data counter there is more accurate.

Also,    do you have an app on your phone to track the usage for comparison.  If you are on Android, it's already built in , you just need to go to the Mobile Data page and change the cycle start date to Aug 30 and you will be able to see how much you used since Aug 30 and which app used the most

Meow
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech wrote:

Also,    do you have an app on your phone to track the usage for comparison.  If you are on Android, it's already built in , you just need to go to the Mobile Data page and change the cycle start date to Aug 30 and you will be able to see how much you used since Aug 30 and which app used the most

Even though Android has built in data usage tracker there is significant difference between numbers reported vs. PM's counter.

For example, I did some MMS test sending few pictures based on discussion with @darlicious and few other members; Android reported 2.5MB used vs. 0.283MB as per PM.

This I would not really trust neither Android nor 3rd party trackers.

If you want to know how much data you used during your billing cycle - log in into your PM account and look there.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Meow 

Thank you! You just gave me an answer for another member! What kind of phone do you have?

softech
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

@softech wrote:

Even though Android has built in data usage tracker there is significant difference between numbers reported vs. PM's counter.

For example, I did some MMS test sending few pictures based on discussion with @darlicious and few other members; Android reported 2.5MB used vs. 0.283MB as per PM.

This I would not really trust neither Android nor 3rd party trackers.

If you want to know how much data you used during your billing cycle - log in into your PM account and look there.

@Meow   Yes, you are right.. this is possible.  the MMS data could affect the result.  But I guess in this case, your phone counter would possible bigger than PM real counter.   If even your phone counter reported you are using less than your monthly limit, your PM counter should not report a higher limit.

Another thing to note, the phone counter , as well as many 3rd party app, will also show you how much data each app used.  So, take the monthly data and subtract the data used by your messaging app, it should be very close to the PM counter.  

S--S
Mayor / Maire

@ekhekh 

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data....

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ekhekh wrote:

My most recent months plan started on Aug 30th, and then three days later I received a text informing me that I had used 75% of my data. I hadn’t changed anything about how I used my phone (no new apps, minimal streaming, used mostly wifi, etc) and so it’s basically impossible for me to have jumped my usage so suddenly. I rarely go over my data at the end of my plan period. I’m a week into my plan and now I’m being told that I’ve used 95% of my data. This seems incredibly inaccurate - help? 

@ekhekh 

If your Data Line on your overview page does not reflect this usage, and these texts were from Public Mobile, you can ignore these messages.

But if these messages are from your own device itself then check out the data limiter settings you have on your device. Your phone can be set up to send you data limit warnings.

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it.

You could also check out Data counter widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Meow
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

@Meow 

Thank you! You just gave me an answer for another member! What kind of phone do you have?

Samsung S7

Need Help? Let's chat.