cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Questions

Pash
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I'm new to PM.  In order to send picture and video messages I need the data turned on when I'm not around WIFI. My question is when I'm out and about without wifi and turn on my data to send messages with pics and videos, is this using my bonus data of 250 or is that for separate? Also, when I turn on data out and about how do I stop Google and other programs from using it up? I turned off refresh for apps but some are greyed out and I cant turn them off.  For example Firefox app is greyed out and many more programs greyed out.  For a long time now I haven't had data with my Koodo plan because I wasn't the one using it up.  My phone and google did.  I just came from Koodo prepaid and like I said I didn't order data.Im using my unlocked iPhone 6s Plus in case you can tell me a way to grey out these other programs.  Thanks Pash

10 REPLIES 10

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@PashIt will vary and depends on your expectation. eg MMS doesn't have full functionality of the "blue bubbles" so in fallback mode you won't be able to see people actively replying to you for example. You can see how much data the service actually use under Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Services -> Messaging Service.. mine is under 30kb for the year.

Pash

Thank you. Glad to hear my bonus data won't be used for messages.  I will do as you all suggest to keep google and refresh programs from eating it up.  Thanks again

Pash

I will turn them on then.  So they will work when I'm away from wifi.  And, is data from my bonus 25o being used when I'm sending messages outside of wifi? Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pash wrote:

Thanks but why carrier charges when I have unlimited text, video, and messaging??

There are no extra charges here.

You would want to turn off using cell data for most apps and OS on your phone.

Normal MMS doesn't count against your data. iMessage may do it's own thing. I'll defer to other iphone folks for that detail.

Pash

Yes I can turn off those apps listed where you say in the settings but Firefox is not showing there do I can't stop the refreshing on that one and others I have installed.

There are no extra charges...when you have unlimited texting.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@PashBecause in terms of messaging iMessages without fallback turned on are more akin to apps like Whatsapp than pure SMS or MMS. When Public says unlimited text, they mean messages that comply with SMS and MMS standards.

Pash

Thanks but why carrier charges when I have unlimited text, video, and messaging??

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

For your iPhone, click Settings...then scroll down to view each app...you can turn OFF data to the app you don't use.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@PashIf you have MMS fallback turned on in iMessage then any pictures and video should count as text.

You should be able to stop apps from accessing Cellular data by toggling them off under Settings -> Cellular, unless you have some type of profiles like Jamf installed.

Enable SMS and MMS in iOS MessagesEnable SMS and MMS in iOS Messages

Need Help? Let's chat.