cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Outage today? No Data/SMS Service

sonician
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Noticed that I'm getting No Internet Connection on my phone today.

SMS are not sending either.

Only noticed when I tried to send a couple of SMS and they're stuck in "Sending".

I've rebooted, re-seated the SIM, removed and re-added the APN.

21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sonician : So can you try the SIM in another phone? Or another provider SIM in your phone?

sonician

I've lived in the same place for 10 years. This is a new issue this week. And my next door neighbor on another carrier, is unaffected.

I don't go out and about unless necessary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sonician : There are actually possibilities of being too close to a tower. You might be in a shadow of its radiation shape. Maybe depending on the elevation of the actual transceiver on the tower and your elevation in your apartment.

So then it becomes how far are you from the _next_ tower. Or what might be blocking that transmission. How well do things work when you're out and about?

Try rebooting your phone.  If that doesn't work you might have to do a network reset.

sonician

No, I'm out in Nova Scotia. The nearest cell tower is about 500 ft from my apartment building.

sonician

Absolutely! I always did that in the past (though it's been a couple of years since the last time I had an issue).

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

For the collective good of this Community, please update this thread of their findings, and what they did, or recommended, to rectify the matter, @sonician 

sonician

Thanks @Spudster, I've reached out via PM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sonician : Can you try your SIM in another phone? Or a different provider SIM in your phone?

Spudster

@sonician 

Here's how you contact Public Mobile moderators if you feel you've done everything with the device settings to remedy.  

There are 2 methods to reach them:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon in the upper right corner of screen.

sonician

It's been set to LTE since forever, and has always worked fine. I can spit on the closest cell tower to my apartment. 🙂 This is the second time in a week now though, that the LTE has failed. This is not a tower issue, as my neighbor (not on Public Mobile) is working fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sonician : The moderators don't come running. You need to contact them. I don't think phones can but is it set to LTE-only? Maybe just leave it on 3G. Talk needs 3G. Text and data can work on either 3G or 4G. Maybe the LTE transceiver on your closest tower is having troubles. Or your out of range of an LTE tower.

sonician

OK, I'm back on this thread again as the same thing is happening today.

Just noticed that SMS weren't coming through (after my partner emailed me to ask if I got them).

Noticed that on LTE on my Android there's a little X on the network icon. If I switch it to 3G it appears to work again. If I put it back to LTE, it again goes to the little X.

Can someone from Public Mobile please contact me?

A simple reboot or toggling of airplane mode may have possibly also resolved the issue. At least you have some options to try if it happens again.

@sonician 

As long as it is working now, just observe for now. Maybe the LTE connection temporary was offline or poor reception.  

If it happens again, you could try network reset of phone.  

Some customers do find that 3G connection works better for their services in their area and manually choose the 3G connection.  

sonician

It's Android, so no iMessage. Nothing has changed on my end with this phone for over a year.

Very odd today.

UPDATE: After toggling from 3G back to LTE, it appears to be working again?
VERY WEIRD.

sonician

Calls are working fine, but not SMS or Data with LTE on.

Account is fine, renewal isn't for another couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Spudster

@sonician 

🤔

If calling is working, is it possible your messages attempting to be sent is using chat or iMessage as opposed to SMS?

You can check that under your messaging app.

Spudster

@sonician 

Have you tried calling or receiving calls?

If that isn't working either, check to see that your account status is "active" under self serve.

It's possible your renewal may have failed and you may need to manually top up the account to reactivate service.

sonician

Note: Changing it from LTE to 3G gets the data working, but this isn't ideal, obviously.

Need Help? Let's chat.