cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Add on Options suck!

jclaydon2018
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The Following is my opinion only, you're milage may vary.

So I watched a 420p 30 minute TV episode on my phone because I occasionally travel by car as a passenger, and it would be nice to have something to do on long drives.  Turns out it took almost a full gig of my data, with my 2G plan, that means i'd only be able to one TV show the whole trip.  So, I looked at the data add on options.  The most you can get, is 1GB for $30..  Really!? For that kind of money, as long as i knew which month i was going 1 month in advance, i could switch my plan to the 5g LTE for almost the same amount of money total.

-James

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jclaydon2018 I don't know what service you're using for watching video on the go, but some of them allow you to download (at least some of their) content ahead of time and watch it offline.  Netflix for example offers download on lots of their catalogue (including but not limited to all of their original series, but lots of others too).  YouTube, I think if you get the premium subscription you can download stuff for offline viewing.  I'm not sure about CraveTV, Amazon Prime Video, or any other options, but it's worth looking into.  Download a few episodes while you're on WiFi at home (or the office, or a public hotspot, etc) and then play it back offline on the go and use zero* data.  Easy-peasy!

*I'm not 100% sure that it's exactly zero: you may incur a little usage for the app's home page to show you current content list, etc., and possibly to check that you're still a registered user who's authorized to view the content that you downloaded--but these pail in comparison to the actual streaming on the go.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Isnt KOODO $30 for 1gb ?

lino96
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, There is one ..Freedom has a data Add-on $10/GB for 30days. But that's totally separate 

story. I think PM should follow at least Koodo, and offer $20/GB or $15?GB ...but this is Canada, providers are in agreement with governement...the only chance to change that for better is renegotiated NAFTA , looks like Americans want to have better access to our Media/ Communications Industries ....only then Big 3 would shake...Would love to see that!!

Lino

TMS

*end 

TMS

@Grampa wrote:

When you reach your plan data limit at Koodo, you automatically get a text message offering you a few data add-ons that last until the end of your billing cycle. One option is 1GB for $20. I think PM should and could at least match the Koodo rate

does the 1gb on your next billing cycle?  just get mod to renew your plan 😉

Grampa

When you reach your plan data limit at Koodo, you automatically get a text message offering you a few data add-ons that last until the end of your billing cycle. One option is 1GB for $20. I think PM should and could at least match the Koodo rate

mimmo

@jclaydon2018 can't remember the chart but Canada has one of the highest phone rates in the world.   

You could probably switch to koodo for the 8gb plan for $45 that seems to be offered to all pm numbers.

jclaydon2018

Well if that is the normal, i guess I'll just have to bring along a laptop, and an external drive with some movies on it.

I guess I'm just used to plans like they have in Europe, you can get unlimited talk, text AND data for like 40 euros..

-James

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What plan are you on now?  You may want to look at your base plan. 

mimmo

Please find me a provder that has data overages (addons) cheaper than $30/gb.  

your solution about switching plans is good unless you are in an expired promo plan which you wouldn' t be able to get back.

when my wife and i go on trips to the cabin she downloads shows onto her tablet/phone via netfliks, that way she doenst use data while we are there.  

@jclaydon2018

If you are close to running out of data, sometimes it is cheaper just to renew your PM Plan earlier than buying add on for 1GB.  You need to ask moderator to do early renewal.  

If you need that much data, Koodo has a migration deal for 8GB for $45.  Lots of PM customers are jumping on that deal....

ute1978

@jclaydon2018 wrote: Turns out it took almost a full gig of my data, 

That is no news and is normal for a movie. May I ask from which provider did you switch? Did you have that many gigs included in your old plan?

If you know you will watch a lot of movies, how about a Public Mobile plan with high included data? You can actually build your own plan.

Hm, I find Public Mobile's add ons pretty competitive compared to what others are offering.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The add-on does not suck, it is the pricing that sucks.  Even then, I would say suck softly when compared to the competition.  Koodo charges $70 per gig for overage which is essentially like add-on data. 

Anyway, we live in Canada where data plans are extremely short on usage.  There is no plan out there designed for streaming video.

jp2

I would stay the pricing is comparable to other providers. Also keep in mind the Canadian data add on doesn't expire so if you only used half of it in the month the other half continues to roll over. It would be nice to see some larger data addons available. 

Have you tried 3G data plan? It is cheaper and would probably be OK for you if your watching in 420p.

Need Help? Let's chat.