cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently in the USA...receiving text messages....BUT

lovetokite
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I am in the US currently. Tried to call my Public cellphone number from a different phone to check for voice messages, cannot connect. I received a few text messages and I understand that I cannot sent text messages from the US. My account is in good standing. If someone in Canada wants to call my Public cellphone number should they not be able to leave a voice message, regardless of where I am? Should I not be able to check my Public voice mails from anywhere using a different service?

24 REPLIES 24

lovetokite

thank you, sounds this is my problem, unfortunately

@Nezgar I thought the same, but Lucian says otherwise

@lovetokite wrote:

thank you, was not aware of the voice mail number to dial when out of the country.....but when someone calls my public cellphone number from the US, should they not be able to leave a VM? After one ring the call is disconnected, why?

You need a USA talk add on for your phone number to redirect calls to voicemail while your phone is in the USA. To have that work without a talk add on, you need to keep your phone in airplane mode or remove the SIM before you leave Canada to prevent it from registering to USA towers. Once the phone has registered to a USA tower, incoming calls will be rejected by the USA network without a talk add-on - preventing the call from going to voicemail until your phone again registers on the PM network in Canada.

Others have reported forwarding to voicemail working, but the info I have isn't consistent - it's possible they had a USA talk add-on enabled. I don't think call forwarding is programmable while in the USA in either case.

@lovetokite have you spoken to moderators yet? maybe they need to fix something on their end

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lovetokite wrote:

btw they CANNOT be set to other numbers...I tried

It works in Canada to Canada.

So... roaming add-ons?

lovetokite

btw they CANNOT be set to other numbers...I tried

lovetokite

thank you for all your efforts

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lovetokite wrote:

mmmhhhh, went into my dialer settings. Under Call Forwarding:

Always forward: Turned off

Forward when busy : Forward calls to some obscure 226 area code number

that I certainly never put in there...

same unknown 226 area code number under Forward when unanswered

same unknown 226 area code number under Forward when unreachable

when trying to turn those off: Failed to read data, unable to deactivate call diverting. Unsupported by operator.

If those numbers are something like 5804001 or on the list I linked for you in my last post then the earlier dial codes reset those call forwarding options to the default voicemail access number for you. Which is right. And again nice that doing so works in the states. And no they can't be turned off. They can be set to other numbers but that doesn't do anything for you now.

I think I'm out of ideas for your current situation. You have some options for future situations but that doesn't help you now.

lovetokite

mmmhhhh, went into my dialer settings. Under Call Forwarding:

Always forward: Turned off

Forward when busy : Forward calls to some obscure 226 area code number

that I certainly never put in there...

same unknown 226 area code number under Forward when unanswered

same unknown 226 area code number under Forward when unreachable

when trying to turn those off: Failed to read data, unable to deactivate call diverting. Unsupported by operator.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lovetokite wrote:

yes I did...

when I dialed ##21# I got: Call forwarding unconditionally. Erasure was succesful.

when I dialed ##004# I got: Call forwarding conditionally. Erasure was succesful.

STILL NO CONNECTION

Good to know the codes work there.

So when you dig down into the options in your dialer, can you see what numbers the conditionals are going to? Erasing them _should_ return them to default. But what would the default be while the phone is connected to a US network.

The numbers here would end with one of these numbers.

lovetokite

yes I did...

when I dialed ##21# I got: Call forwarding unconditionally. Erasure was succesful.

when I dialed ##004# I got: Call forwarding conditionally. Erasure was succesful.

STILL NO CONNECTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

@lovetokite I called it and it immediately disconnects. that's great that you've never set call forwarding. did you dial those #'s I suggested? 

I'm not sure the codes will work while in the states. But lovetokite can report back on that.

3 of the 4 call forwarding options are generally on by default to be able to drop to voicemail. It's the call forward all option that might make a difference here. But then maybe it'll behave the same as the other 3.

I would still go to the thought that if the SIM never saw a US tower that the whole idea might work. But then one wouldn't get texts.

@lovetokite I called it and it immediately disconnects. that's great that you've never set call forwarding. did you dial those #'s I suggested? 

lovetokite

I never had call forwarding enabled, also I did receive voice mails when I was still in Ontario.

Feel free to call my number xxxxxxxxxxxx and you will see that it will not connect. thank you

edited by computergeek541: phone number removed

@lovetokite 

As long as your Voice mail is active, anyone who wants to contact you can leave you a message in Canada or abroad.

Thanks

Lucian PM Mod

dial ##21# and then ##004# to reset your call forwarding. also go into your dialer app settings and make sure call forwarding is set to voicemail etc

lovetokite

I tried the 1, no dice, same problem

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@lovetokite wrote:

So I am in the US currently. Tried to call my Public cellphone number from a different phone to check for voice messages, cannot connect.

So you are calling your PM cell number from another phone of some description (cell, landline or whatever). Your phone number or the voicemail access numbers will be a long distance call from that phone requiring that you dial 1 and then the number. Even if that phone happens to have a free calling area that includes canada it may quite likely need you to dial 1 and the number. The same thing trips up PM customers calling within Canada. 1 is frequently needed to call outside of the local area even if the plan includes these calls at no Long Distance charge.

AE_Collector

lovetokite

I feel that anybody should be able to call my public cell number and leave a message, regardless of where they are. however, the call is being disconnected after ONE ring

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lovetokite wrote:

thank you, was not aware of the voice mail number to dial when out of the country.....but when someone calls my public cellphone number from the US, should they not be able to leave a VM? After one ring the call is disconnected, why?

Oh! Calling FROM the states while you're in the states. Hmm. My guess would be again call forwarding. In this case the system is seeing your phone. Oh but you're not paying to call out. Sorry.

What happens when someone in Canada calls your number?

What would happen if you went into airplane mode? Although that might be too late now for the fact that the system has "seen" you already. If you arrived while in airplane mode and stayed in airplane mode I wonder if all this would work. But then you wouldn't get the few texts. Choices and trade-offs.

lovetokite

when I call my cell number it disconnects after just ONE ring...weird

lovetokite

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

If you don't have a USA data add-on then you can't use your cell phone with a PM number to check voicemail.

You have to call from another phone. Simply dial your cell number when voicemail starts to play press the star * button and enter your voicemail password to listen to your voicemails. Or call your area code 580 4001

Download this app TEXTNOW.

You'll get a Canadian number in your hometown area that will allow you to call USA and Canada numbers for FREE. It works on wifi or data.

Other people don't need the app to reach you. Just give them the number and they can call you no issues. You can also send / receive text messages to anyone in USA / Canada. It even has voicemail when you're not connected to wifi or data and next time you do connect you can listen to them.

TEXTNOW works anywhere in the work you are as long as you have an internet connection. My go to when in Cuba or other destinations.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@lovetokite wrote:

So I am in the US currently. Tried to call my Public cellphone number from a different phone to check for voice messages, cannot connect. I received a few text messages and I understand that I cannot sent text messages from the US. My account is in good standing. If someone in Canada wants to call my Public cellphone number should they not be able to leave a voice message, regardless of where I am? Should I not be able to check my Public voice mails from anywhere using a different service?

@lovetokite, no they can.(edited as they should be able to)  If you do not have a US roaming package you won't be able to check your voicemail from your phone.  People should be able to leave a message just as if your phone is turned off as you are not connected to any network without a roaming add-on.

When you called your cell number what was the message you got?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lovetokite : You could call any of the voicemail access numbers like 17785804001.

There's something about call forwarding while in the states but I'm not sure. Someone was recently talking about this. Maybe if you did call forwarding all while in Canada. Not sure.

Need Help? Let's chat.