cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curiosity: what's the "mb" stand for in the sp.mb.com APN name?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi there,

New customer, enjoying the service.  However, my curiosity making me wonder about the APN name:  sp.mb.com and isp.mb.com.  What's the MB stand for?

If you look at PM's sibling brands, you see sp.telus.com/isp.telus.com and sp.koodo.com/isp.koodo.com, which make sense.  Shouldn't PM's be sp.pm.com/isp.pm.com or sp.publicmobile.ca/isp.publicmobile.ca or something similar?

EDIT: Aug 3, 2018--testing editing a post from a few years ago 🙂 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
9 REPLIES 9

srlawren

Thanks @Mansi_G... that answer makes perfect sense!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mansi_G
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@srlawren - Great question! Never been asked before. I didn't know the answer myself at first. 

And great guesses lovely people! My first guess was same as @sat's. I thought it's simply the abbreviation for "mobile". But I found out today, it is actually abbreviation for "multi brand". And that we share the APN with PC mobile.

@Luddite - highly fascinated by your responses Smiley Happy

Rockdaddy22
Makes sense

sat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It could just be an abbreviation for mobile ... If some other provider already had pm then they could have selected mb 🙂 

Like how windows skipped Windows 9 and went to Windows 10 since a 1990's version already had the tag 9

fperron
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can confirm it have not difference in English or French for Public mobile 🙂

srlawren

French, eh?  Interesting theory!  I plugged "Public Mobile" into google translate and asked it to give me the French version and it gave me.....  "Public Mobile".  Go figure.

Maybe PM had a different name initially?  Or even before it was originally launched?

How about Maybe Baby, Mainly Beta, Meandering Boffins, or Ma Belle?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Rockdaddy22
Maybe the French abbreviation. That's my only guess

imm1304

Hey Scott,

Good question!  Let us know if you find out  😄

Need Help? Let's chat.