cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage Map in BC is wrong.

jchakkal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was looking at the coverage map for BC and I noticed it was completely wrong. It had almost no coverage outside the Vancouver area but that has to be incorrect because TELUS, the network that Public Mobile uses, has the best coverage in BC

I am hoping that is just a mapping error and not an exclusion of service from TELUS.

36 REPLIES 36

So you brough back the thread, the map is incorrect still in your area?

@donk44 wrote:

Great ! Correction is being worked on.

Perhaps a current map can be posted to show where good areas of coverage are present , then add the fixed-bits later.

I'm possibly a new customer, this is not the way to attract new people.

@donk44 

wow... so, this issue has been dealt with in March 2015, during the Beta phase. someone dug this thread up 9 months ago out of the blue... and you are digging it up again, 4 years after the problem was solved, saying that " this is not the way to attract new people".

Then, pretty please, what is? Have you actually taken the time to check the 2019 coverage map? https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

donk44
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Great ! Correction is being worked on.

Perhaps a current map can be posted to show where good areas of coverage are present , then add the fixed-bits later.

I'm possibly a new customer, this is not the way to attract new people.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also...two words...

it's Telus.

'nuff said.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dz11 wrote:

Thanks for that

it’s good to be able to let customers know how good the coverage is and why  so I appreciate the long answer 

@Dz11 wow, you just replied to a thread that's been dormant for nearly 3.5 years. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Dz11

Thanks for that

it’s good to be able to let customers know how good the coverage is and why  so I appreciate the long answer 

jchakkal

Yes, I noticed today that the map has more areas filled in BC already!

Great Work!

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi everyone,

Your all absolutely right about the "coverage issue" on our map in regards to some of our regions that we do have coverage for. Just to shed some light on the issue the coverage map was fine until Feb, 17 when we by mistake accidentally dropped some regions.Smiley Sad

We have tracked those areas down, and will be updating the map before the weekend!Smiley Happy

Thank you for your patience, and I hope this answers your questions and concerns?

Cheers!

jchakkal

Correct.

I brought it up... 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Coverage-Map-in-BC-is-wrong/m-p/5893

Hopefully a solution comes soon...

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^@martin did not bring this up, he was just going by what the other thread had said

chukdefatey
^I would like to the reason why and where you guys came up with the BC Map?

Moid_I
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@jchakkal Thanks for bringing BC Map issue to our attention. This is the reason why we are in BETA and we want all the community members to help us and point out similar issues. 

Public Mobile does have covearge in BC and we will be updating the map soon. 

We will let you know as soon as it is done. 

Moid_I
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Martin Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

we are working on to resolve the issue. Coverage Map will be updated soon. 

benwarez
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Mr. Webmester can U do what jchakkal said pls: 

British Columbia is missing a whole lot of coverage area on the map.

Somebody. Fix It. Please. Now.

benwarez
That's probably the wisest idea that comes out of this post: Telus coverage in BC is there, the only issue is that PM webmaster should do his job and correct the concerning map on PM web site

chukdefatey
@jchakkal, it wasn't me that was going off topic here it was @Martin who decided bring up what I said so I just corrected him. But like @Martin said you are probably not going to get it fixed through here so you are better off sending a web email

Martin
Legend
Legend
You stand a much greater chance of having the BC map corrected by sending web mail. By doing so, your concern can be logged and prioritized.

jchakkal

Yes, you are correct - Public Mobile was originally an Ontario & Quebec only brand.

But we aren't here to discuss the history of telecom - We are trying to setup the website for a proper launch for the whole country... So it doesn't really matter

Now focusing on the sole purpose of this thread. Let's get back to the original discussion point.

British Columbia is missing a whole lot of coverage area on the map.

Somebody. Fix It. Please. Now.

chukdefatey
^Martin, Did you miss this part from my previous post "Well Technically sort off kind off they are not officially offering service out side of Ontario and Quebec.''

What I mean is no one one knows about what Public Mobile is outside of Quebec and Ontario and with the new beta program they started offering numbers outside of the two Provinces. Which is why I said sort of kind of. The reason in case you don't know why Public Mobile didn't offer numbers from other Provinces was because they didn't own any spectrum besides Quebec and Ontario.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Thank you for constructively correcting me, and for your detailed explanation.

It will definitely prove useful if and when a poster asks about the BC map and coverage.

jchakkal

"As far as the map, I agree with you and the OP.
As I said in a previous post, the seeming lack of coverage may be due to Bell owning the towers, and not allowing Telus to show coverage, in order to draw potential customers to Bell."

---

Short Answer:

That's not true though. The Only difference between Bell and Telus is that Bell has access to BRS 2600Mhz LTE Band 7

The rest of the coverage map details are exactly identical. Also, there is no way that Bell owns the towers in the interior BC - the only place they own towers in the west is far northern B.C. and the Territories.

Long Answer:

From the Pacific Ocean until The Manitoba Border - Telus owns every single tower in the Bell-Telus relationship.

Then Bell owns everything in Ontario, NFLD, NB, PEI, NS

Telus owns the majority (or maybe everything) in Quebec

That's how the agreement works.... because these "turfs" is what they originally are based on...

Bell = Southern Quebec + Ontario + Bell Aliant (NS, NFLD, NB, PEI)

Telus = Rest of Quebec (QuebecTel) + BCTel + AGT (Alberta)

Therefore, their initial CDMA build out back in the day follows these areas...Then Telus purchased Clearnet which gave it a more national tower coverage area

Then When both Bell & Telus wanted to switch from CDMA to GSM, they decided to join together and team up and build out the entire country!

That's why if you have a Bell CDMA phone and you are in interior BC, your phone will actually "roam" on TELUS

If you have a Telus CDMA phone and you are somewhere in PEI, your phone will actually "roam" on Bell

But ever since they went GSM/HSPA - Then they decided to share the Radio on each tower but have seperate base systems. Therefore every single tower manually broadcasts a 302220 for TELUS (koodo/public) and 302610 for Bell (virgin/solo)

That's the long answer for why that assertion is incorrect.

Martin
Legend
Legend
chuk,

Where did you read that PM is not officially offering service outside of ON and QC?

If you access your online account, check the Change Phone Number section. It lists every province with every city and town worth noting.

As far as the map, I agree with you and the OP.
As I said in a previous post, the seeming lack of coverage may be due to Bell owning the towers, and not allowing Telus to show coverage, in order to draw potential customers to Bell.

jchakkal

The question hasn't been "answered" because the coverage map in BC is still wrong.

Determining if the coverage area is different than the TELUS map has been solved...its the same.

But the main issue was that the Public Mobile Coverage Map is incorrect - and that hasn't been fixed yet.

benwarez
i thought this question was already been answered in this other coverage post http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/B-C-Coverage-Map/m-p/6570#M552

jchakkal

There is still no change to the coverage map...

Unacceptable.

benwarez
That's the correct answer to bouncybear question indeed, Since Bell/Telus share same towers why Telus should have its own towers where Bell allows Telus to use its towers

chukdefatey
Telus and Bell Share one single network expect for LTE 2600Mhz which Telus doesn't have access to. BC map is definitely wrong and needs to fixed because I have a lot of highway truck drivers friends that travel all of the country and the coverage is the same for all Bellus Group of Companies

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Due to a post by, I believe, bouncybear, who pointed out large areas of B.C. seemingly without Telus coverage, I figured that it might be due to Bell having provided the towers, and therefore having the sole right to display coverage where none seems to exist via Telus.

chukdefatey
^Well Technically sort off kind off they are not officially offering service out side of Ontario and Quebec.

However they should definitely fix the BC Map. I never really understand how massive corporations can make mistakes like that. They have dedicated departments that look after these things yet they still make these mistakes. Don't get it

BouncyBear
+1 to this post as this should be immediately addressed by PM; it's both for visibility and transparency when it comes to expanding PM's user base.

PM, why has this not been fixed yet?

Thanks!
Need Help? Let's chat.