cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering the switch but a few question

Sledge106
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi there I am considering the switch as I like the looks of your $40 per month plan. I have a few questions though

1). Do you guarantee coverage?  I rely on my phone for work as I am on a casual call in basis. Therefore it is of extreme importance I do not miss a call. I live in the outskirts of Ottawa (Winchester Morewood chesterville) I am at the point with bell where I cannot set foot in my basement without the loss of signal. 

2). Do you offer deals on the purchase of new phones like bell or Rodgers would?

3). No contracts correct?

thanks for the info. 

6 REPLIES 6

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Another option for phones is with our partner Orchard.

Get a lot of the latest phones at a great price.

https://publicmobile.getorchard.com/

maximilliennn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No carrier actually 100% covers coverage. But, they use Telus network which is pretty much as big as any other network. I have worked at Fido-Rogers and Koodo, and I can tell you that certain areas will only have one cellphone tell tower or towers that are a bit further, but you can not know until you try it, even the employees that work here can not know even with their maps. My connection did not change much, in my house it went down just a bit, but for other places it is much better.

No they do not, but check out kijiji.com for cellphones, you often can find pretty good ones at good rates.

There is no contract, and from what I have seen in the forums they also do not change your plan rates over time. This is what most big phone companies use a *do not switch* statement, which itself is pretty awesome, if anything their plans got cheaper over.

If you have a phone already you can also just unlock it online, some cell carriers will charge a lot more for the same service.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @Sledge106, welcome to the Public Mobile community!  As noted, no carrier is going to guarantee to work every place you go, or in fact any specific place(s) you may frequent, and the only way to know for sure is to try.  If you need 100% up-time, Public Mobile may not be the best choice for you, as you will not have access to immediate phone-based (call centre) support if you do experience any issues with your service.  Support is provided via email contact form, or via these communities.  The timeframes are generally pretty quick, but for someone that cannot tolerate a small downtime, it's is a risk.  And as noted, you may in fact be using the same Bell towers. 

In terms of phone compatibility, if it works on Bell, it's going to work on PM, BUT, if it's locked to Bell (it probably is if you didn't explicity purchase the phone as unlocked), then you will need to get it carrier unlocked before using with PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Sorry couple more items. Be sure your phone is compatible with PM: Phone compatible?

If you are keeping your number: Porting number.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Suggest you read my old post: Assured service

You may find that forcing your phone to use 3G instead of LTE will improve reception. That helps where I live in Mississauga, and also my sister who lives in the countryside near Orillia.

Unfortunately in your situation Bell and Telus share many towers in Ontario. I don't know about your location specifically, but it will certainly not be worse if you currently use Bell.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

manelgm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello!

1- Public Mobile uses the same network as Telus.  No one can guarantee to work in your basement, but if your friends with Telus or Koodo has service there, then you will too.

2- No, Public Mobile does not offer subsidized phones

3- No contracts, you are paying for the period (10, 30 or 90 days), that is all.

Need Help? Let's chat.