cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conditional call forwarding keeps resetting

Alether
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been using conditional call forwarding for about a year now in order to use a 3rd party voicemail provider and have had no issues with it.  However, over the past few days, call forwarding keeps getting disabled and my missed calls are going to public mobile voicemail. I have to dial *004*(10 digit number)# to enable call forwarding again and everything works, but within a day or two it gets reset and I start getting messages in my Public Mobile voicemail box again.

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar : lol I made a couple of assumptions about roaming for the OP. So the next  assumption is whether they can get _any_ Bellus tower where they are or were at.

Airplane mode... Why even have the phone searching for a network... your phone's battery charge will last for days too if you know you can't receive calls anyway.  😄

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alether : ... or turn off auto-connect to not connect to a US network.

Alether

No, I didn't have a roaming plan. The place I was staying is actually in Canada, just really close to the border. There's no Canadian tower in range there so my phone registers on AT&T. I was just using WiFi. Everytime I got a voicemail, I was having to drive 1km up the road to check it, reset my call forwarding settings, test and see it's working, only to pull my hair out two days later when I get a notification to call in to check voicemail.

It hadn't occurred to me that roaming was causing the issue. Next time I'll have to remember to use airplane mode.

@Alether @softech I guess you've got it while the phone is registered to a USA network, the forwarding behaves differently.

In the past, it surmised that forwarding breaks completely while in the USA WITHOUT an active talk roaming add-on - @Alether can you confirm it you had a talk roaming add on?  If so, that's interesting that conditional forwarding is forced to PM voicemail in that case.

The further test for the understanding and benefit of others here would be to next time testing UNconditional call forwarding while the phone is registered in the US as well...

I'm also unsure if any forwarding is configurable while on a USA network. (With an active USA talk addon)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : I would say not due to any other country provider simply ignoring the presence of a foreign phone that doesn't have a roaming agreement.

..and now i wonder if i fly to other country like UK (anywhere but US , anywhere that PM  does not offer romaing).. would it be different

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : And so it follows that using any forwarding breaks and defaults to the standard voicemail access number with a roaming add-on present and physically in the states. It would be interesting for someone to test if forwarding to a US number would work. Maybe youmail has a US number to connect to ones same voicemail box.

@Anonymous wrote:

Ohhhh you were in the states during this problem. 

My Geography sucks.. US and Canada are one big happy family, isn't it?

@Alether   thanks for the update..

.. and after seeing what you said.. i did a bit of search again, and I think @Nezgar  and @Eddy_222 confirmed this behaviour:

Domestic Call Forwarding While Roaming Internation... - Community (publicmobile.ca)

I just came across this previous post that basically confirms my suspicions. The SIM must be removed from the phone or put in airplane mode for the forwarding to function *PRIOR* to entry to the USA, and remain that way until return. If it registers on a US network, forwarding will be broken until it can register to a Canadian tower:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Call-Forwarding-Not-Operating/m-p/45212...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alether : One itsy bitsy tiny piece of evidence you managed to not mention in your OP.

Ohhhh you were in the states during this problem. Maybe I'm not surprised that happens.

Alether

So, after confirming with *#61# *#62# and *#67# that everything was configured correctly, I was still getting voicemails in my Public Mobile box. I tried to call my number with another phone, and sure enough, I got the Public Mobile voicemail. Now that I've returned home, it's forwarding to Youmail again without having changed anything. I think what is happening is that call forwarding stops working consistently when I am roaming in the USA.

@Anonymous Yes I can set with or without the 1, and when checking the setting after, +1 is there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar : Is it working for you to not have the 1 in front of the 604?

@Nezgar 

Thanks Batman....your response time along with your expertise is astonishing!

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Thanks @darlicious. @Alether, I also use custom conditional call forwarding settings to utilize an alternate voicemail provider (youmail.com) and my settings are still intact, and I've had no issue with losing the settings...

One thought is to maybe not configure the conditional call forward settings using the phones calling app, but by dialing the appropriate codes individually to query and configure.

To query existing settings dial each of *#61# *#62# and *#67#

To reset each to default (Public Mobile voicemail) dial ##61# ##62# and ##67#

To set your alternate voicemail number dial each:

*61*6045550123#

*62*6045550123#

*67*6045550123#

Or set all 3 at once:

*004*6045550123#

The *61 code can optionally set the ring time before forwarding to voicemail in 5 second increments from 5 to 30 seconds. This example sets 20 seconds (about 4 rings)

*61*6045550123**20#

Anyhow... I would monitor your conditional settings by dialing the codes above, and if staying out of your phones own forwarding settings maybe they will "stick". Curious how you make out with this.

@Nezgar 

Bat signal employed....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alether 

first do Deactivate Call Forward Variable:

• Dial #004#
  • A message indicates that Call Forward Variable is deactivated

and do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

or can you do try reseat the SIM card

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. wipe it clean SIM card,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

and again re Activate Call Forward Variable:

• Dial *004*, followed by the 10-digit number you want your calls forwarded to, followed by * , followed by the number of seconds (The options are 10, 20, or 30), followed by #. For example, if you want to forward your calls to 604-555-0123 for 20 seconds the sequence would be: *004*604-555-0123*20#
  • A message indicates that Call Forward Variable is activated
Need Help? Let's chat.