cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competition

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was on my Facebook account today and Chatr is trying the same promo that Public Mobile has. I saw an advertisement pop up and went to the website. I am not sure why anyone would want to jump ship for an in-zone only coverage. They are offering the $20.00 talk and text credit for activating t&t plan, and $40.00/4gb option.

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/chatr.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PlanBrowse

5 REPLIES 5

@computergeek541 wrote:

The Chatr plans are actually quite good now with $40 getting your 4.5GB, Canada-wide calling, and messaging.  The plan was a joke when it only included 1GB.

The Chatr plans can be good for people who want or need call-in customer service. 

The downside of these Chatr plans is in that they are zoned. The out-of-zone charges are quite high too.

For people like me who live outside of their zones, choosing ChatR (and Lucky) over Public Mobile just doesn't make sense unless you have Rogers coverage but no Telus/Bell towers where you live, which, as far as I know, is becoming increasingly rare these days.

If we are going with something we can actually compare (neglecting the international talk saver option at ChatR, and overlooking that PM currently offers 500MB on their 3G speed plans over 2GB and has 30day plans instead of a full month...):

PM: Unlimited Canada-wide talk, unlimited international texts, 2GB data at 3G speed - $40

ChatR (regular, out-of-zone plan on 3G): Unlimited Canada-wide talk, unlimited international texts, 2GB data - $35 + $25 = $60

The Chatr plans are actually quite good now with $40 getting your 4.5GB, Canada-wide calling, and messaging.  The plan was a joke when it only included 1GB.

The Chatr plans can be good for people who want or need call-in customer service. 

The downside of these Chatr plans is in that they are zoned. The out-of-zone charges are quite high too.

brent_liza

That's awesome @Orz I have had public now for three months and will never look back again at the major carriers/zone stuff. It's not worth the headache and the savings we do see in the form of rewards and some pretty cheap prices!

Orz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I opened 2 lines recently with PM for my parents. They have no trouble understanding province-wide unlimited call but not Chatr's "in-zone" mumbo jumbo. They will remember to tell me buying add-on should they going out of province but I can't say the same when they get out of Chatr's "zone". 

This is the deciding factor for me choosing PM over Chatr. 

cmatassa

Nice to see competition among cellular compagnies.  Seems Chatr even includes a 500mb bonus on the 4 gb for 40$ plan.  But you are correct, the coverage isn't nearly as good as Public.

Need Help? Let's chat.