cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competition from Rogers

Alhasani
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It’s brought to my attention from a friend that Rogers is offering 9GB data plan instead of Public mobile 5GB plan fir the same price. How public mobile can help us on this before taking decision to switch to Rogers. Thanks 

21 REPLIES 21

@Anonymous wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Anonymous Do you have Private Messages turned off?

I don't believe so. I get pm's. Are you having problems sending to me?

Edit: pm's're on. They weren't off.

Its ok.  I got it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I don't believe so. I get pm's. Are you having problems sending to me?

Edit: pm's're on. They weren't off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nezgar 

So my take-away is that you're Alhasani 🙂

here now

Or? Where is @gblackma 

No one knows.

He did somehow miraculously manage to get top 1% for September with 10 days work though. Not sure how that can be right.

Oh well. This place works in mysterious ways.

My post was in reply to Nezgar's post about Rogers which he then deleted and then I put in the link to his original to give it some context. Just goofin' around that's all.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nezgar 

here now

Or? Where is @gblackma 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

For people that use more data the new promo plans from Koodo and the like are pretty good... Especially when you consider they are un throttled LTE and have voice over LTE etc which public Mobile doesn't offer. On the low usage end where I am pm is still better imo but it would be nice to see competitiveness on that front more. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar 

here now

Edit - deleted - sorry replied to wrong topic.

@Anonymous wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Paid shill? But to what end? If the product doesn't exist then why say anything about it?

No, a SD. 

@Alhasani wrote:

It’s brought to my attention from a friend that Rogers is offering 9GB data plan instead of Public mobile 5GB plan fir the same price. How public mobile can help us on this before taking decision to switch to Rogers. Thanks 

Public Mobile isn't going to compete directly with Rogers Wireless. I don't expect that Public Mobile would do anything plan-wise unless Chatr or Luck offers something new. Sadly, Public Mobile has been lagging behind lately in both plans and promotions.

@LurganIeUk

The postpaid plans aren't bad if you're willing to pay big for heavy data.

Although there are hidden costs.

$45 Setup Service Fee (unavoidable because promo is only available in-store).

$10 Rogers SIM card. Or $15 Rogers eSIM (lol, no comment).

$9.99/month for six months of "free" Apple Music, whether you want it or not, isn't optional.

And must purchase a hardware upgrade from Rogers, a bad thing if you don't want one of their new toys, a good thing if you do. 24 month contract no matter how you work it.

Plus taxes on all the above, of course.

I see in the fine print that they're upgraded their throttled "Infinite/Unlimited" data to 512kbps. At least for these plans. That's actually a useful speed for anything other than video streaming, heavy gaming, and obese websites.

I also see a curious note that in Vancouver the data service is only available 10am to 8pm every day (excluding stat holidays), "unless otherwise specified". There might be similar notes for people browsing from other locations. I guess Rogers hasn't quite finished their full network upgrade yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk 

Paid shill? But to what end? If the product doesn't exist then why say anything about it?

This says it all. 

9E656D6E-14B2-4086-B318-559016915429.jpeg

Post paid. 

EED8F0BB-C80E-46A0-B8A7-A9DDEBE5FC00.png

Prepaid. 

06F897DA-3A01-4A58-906A-310E03C97146.jpeg

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alhasani wrote:

PM does not have a 5GB plan at the moment.

Current PM plans

$40  4.5GB

$45  6.5GB

$50  8.5GB

Is Rogers offer $50 9GB plan?

@LurganIeUk wrote:

The thing is @NDesai this appears to be a red herring. I assume the OP is comparing prepaid to prepaid. 

I assume the OP is asking about what he heard or was offered this plan by a Rogers rep.

No link so no details, we can only speculate.

But I'm guessing (after combing through Rogers offerings) that it ain't gonna be 9GB per month, it'll be a meager handful of GB per month plus the usual one-time signup bonus GB bucket.

I'm also guessing (based on other Rogers vs Public comparisons) that it absolutely won't cost less, lol, quite the opposite.

And I'm guessing it'll bundle a plan and a contract and a phone (or other device), pay less up front but pay more over 24 months.

But if you can find a deal with better value for you somewhere else then go somewhere else, lol. The Big Three don't haggle, asking them to beat a competing offer doesn't work, trying to bluff them into matching an unprovable or nonexistent competing offer will work even less.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Alhasani wrote:

Hi @Alhasani if you find a better deal, take it.  As Public Mobile is prepaid, you may want to wait until closer to your next renewal date to port out your number to Rogers.  As already mentioned above, you need your PM account to be active to port out your number.  If you have autopay, remove your registered cc.  After porting is complete, your PM account will be closed.

Sorry to see you go, but we wish you well 👋

The thing is @NDesai this appears to be a red herring. I assume the OP is comparing prepaid to prepaid. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

To be honest, if you find a good deal that best suits you, don't wait for PM to offer you a better deal because that will likely won't happen at this time. PM used to compete, but not anymore. It's been a long time they offered any good promotional plan. They are focusing on providing limited flash promos for a while now and no plan to move on from it. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Alhasani wrote:

Can you put a link up for this? I just looked at Rogers prepaid.......it should be called The More Money Plan for Next to Nothing.  

Need Help? Let's chat.