cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Badges

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am just trying to understand the badge system. 

Here is a screenshot of a badge I have not yet earned: 

earned by.PNG

What does the number after "Earned by" refer to. I cannot figure it out.. lol

31 REPLIES 31

@Autumna referal credit is a far better target than a community rewards

@Autumn wrote:

Did you get an answer to your question? How many do we need to gather to get Community reward ($)?

Community rewards have little to do with the total number of badges that you have.  They are paid out based on your contributions tot he community each month.

Autumn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Did you get an answer to your question? How many do we need to gather to get Community reward ($)?

@kav2001c Thank you for filling us in with PM history. 

@More_Chaos

Public Mobile purchased spectrum in 2008 and launched services in 2010 (March, April, or June depending on what area you lived in)

Telus purchased Public in Oct 2013 but was pretty hands off at first letting Public remain Public

Telus killed off Public Mobile officially Aug 2014 crippling plans, cancelling all grandfather accounts (claims needed to create new account + pick new in market plan) 

Many of us (myself included) figured Telus was just waiting to kill off the name completely (there was something with spectrum license they had to promise to leave the $15/$19 plans intact for a certain time, 1 year maybe? but all other plans were gone so most thought it was the end)

Somehow (which still baffles me) Public actually GREW (despite mass cancelations and the many complaints posted online

New plans were far more expensive but now the ON/PQ clients suddenly had access to Telus national network (this also opened the first cheat plans; many entrepreneurs in ON/PQ could activate plans in province, then port in other province numbers (AB/BC mainly) and sell the SIM card to our western friends). The other rather amusing fact was you could activate on only certain plans, but you could log into self serve and change to any plan, expired or retention included Cat LOL

The hardest thing was getting SIMs during this time since I still suspect they did not want to increase sub count

Then in 2015 they relaunched (with new BETA plans) as a self serve online only service 

Community message boards, rewards eligible plans, all the stuff you see today

So from 2015 to 2017 is the 2 year anniversary (of the reborn Public Mobile)

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Not under the new self serve model

More_Chaos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@kav2001c

Now I'm even more confused. I'm under the impression that Public (I'm assuming you mean Mobile) is more than 2 years old...

@More_Chaos

2YR Anniversary is *PUBLICS* anniversary (there also is a 1YR badge)

Top X% is how much you contribute here on community forums (the lower the number, the higher your contribution level)

More_Chaos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is there anywhere that tells you what the badges mean? Some are quite clear, but some are kind of obscure. I'm assuming if there is a date on the badge, it means you've earned it (because all the badges looks the same opacity to me, nothing is greyed out, and when I click on one, they just disappear [I was hoping it a definition/description would pop up]).

I would think the "2 anniversary" means a 2-year anniversary, but it makes no sense since I'd only been with PM for 1.5 months when I achieved that badge (assuming the date under the badge is when I achieved it).

And what does Top 25% mean?

Rockdaddy22
Badges are the only things that matter in this world. This is just terrible news 🙂

@srlawren I really did not notice the date. It was bumped up so i thought its on going. 

Anyways, i also don't really care alot about badges. But if this happens, you probably would Smiley LOL

srlawren

Hey welcome to a few months ago, @NDesai!  😉  That's interesting, I didn't realize we'd joined the community so close in time.  To be perfectly honest, it doesn't bother me at all missing any particular badge(s), so long as I get the right rewards aded to my account, and it seems like all's well there.  I'm not a competitive person, so the badges to me are a bit "meh".  But I'd like to see this looked at (as a relatively low priority item), since to some folks they may be more important.  Everyone's mileage will vary.  No warranties, stated or implied.  Badges in the mirror may be closer than they appear.  Do not operate heavy machinery while reading the community.  Talk to your doctor before starting or stopping Public Mobile.  Act now and we'll double the order, simply pay separate shipping & handling.  Drivers do not carry cash.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Me too don't have that badge. Me and srlawren joined just 2 days apart. I see that the 1 year anniversary badge was awarded in Feb 2016, so only those who joined around Feb 2015 earned that badge. 

If you look at the long time member's profile: @Cyber, you will see that we have missed a few more awesome badges. 

Karen79
It's how many people earned it do far

srlawren

@kav2001c 100% sure yep!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren are you *sure* you have been here a year? Cat Surprised

srlawren

@kav2001c @Rockdaddy22 if it makes you feel any better, I don't seem to have that badge either. 

@Rockdaddy22 let's call the mods, this is a very important matter for us!

Cat LOL

Rockdaddy22
I never got that either, I want it 🙂

@Leda mainly for bragging rights

Some badges seem hidden though (eg I see others have a 1 year anniversary badge, but for some reason I never got it)

Leda

So what you do with the badges and how many you need to get rewarded?

Hmm increase in participants did not equal any increase in rewards levels

Rockdaddy22
It all seems to work out 🙂

@Jeremy_M oh I know software calculations are proprietary and all (they won't even let us know the secret behind our title rankings, mayor, hero, etc)

It sounds kinda conspiracy theory and all I know Cat Very Happy

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @kav2001c,

Let me see if my response will help you understand how our rewards system works. Simply put, we have algorithms (math) in place that shows us who's most productive in our Community and we filter those from most active  to the least active ranging from 0.01% - 50% of the Community base.

Depending on the number of Community users being productive/engaging, those who earn badges can vary from month to month.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Bumping an old thread as I can not wrap my head around the "earned by" part of the top contributer badges

One would think if you said "top 5%" that the number of people who had ability to earn badges would be higher as more people joined Public, but this is not true at all

Anyone care to speculate on what metric Public is using?

The lower tiers seem almost random up & down monthly

The upper tiers are a bit more balanced but even this is strange (I first hit this problem when I was certain I should qualify for a badge but for some unknown reason they decreased number of qualifiers that month, when increased subscribers + posters should increase numbers if it is a %)

Sample Data

Top 0.01% (typo on badge???)

Sep 2016 - 3

Top 0.05% (typo on badge???)

Sep 2016 - 5

Top 0.1%

Apr to Jun 2016 - 4

July to Sep 2016 - 3

Top 0.5%

Mar 2015 - 4

Apr 2015 - 7

May to Jun 2015 - 10

Sep to Nov 2015 - 5

Jan to Jul 2016 - 5

Top 5%

Nov 2015 - 15

Mystery Date (error?) - 23 (this badge must be rewarded after May 2015)

Jun 2015 - 120

Aug 2015 - 19

Oct 2015 - 19

Nov 2015 - 15

Dec 2015 - 12

Jan 2016 - 98

Feb 2016 - 39

Mar 2016 - 70

Apr 2016 - 49

May 2016 - 29

Jun 2016 - 32

Jul 2016 - 51

Aug 2016 - 12

Sep 2016 - 39

Top 25%

Jul 2015 - 90

Aug 2015 - 96

Sep 2015 - 102

Nov 2015 - 79

Dec 2015 - 72

Jan 2016 - 146

Jul 2016 - 48

Aug 2016 - 97

Top 50%

Sep 2015 - 127

Sep 2016 - 180

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Does anyone know what causes the badge to "grey out"?

In my case there is a blank for one of them (in the sequence) and I never figured out why?

(The only theory I ever had was badge was earned for rewards level, but due to account suspension it was not actually awarded, so it shows in my history but is kind of not really there)

srlawren

@geogolem mystery solved!  🙂

@kdeleye great sleuthing, yes that's what the number means.  🙂

Cheers!

geogolem

Ah - that makes sense. Now I get it!!!

Thanks,

geogolem

So I earned the 3 Topic Badge for posting this topic.

newbadge.PNG

Just thought I would provide another example. What is the 562 in this case referring to.. lol

Need Help? Let's chat.