cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming Back to Public Mobile from Freedom - Mods help please!

janellecruz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi all,

Yesterday, I switched to Freedom Mobile since my cousin had a deal that seemed amazing at the time. However, it doesn’t look like it’s the best network for me after all.

I was wondering what the process would be to switch back to Public Mobile. My account is still active (edit: I am still able to access my self-service account, but the status does say “inactive”) and the most recent payment was August 11th. I was on a 90-day plan and my next payment scheduled is in November. I am still able to access my account so would I still have to order a new SIM card?

Also, I signed up when there was the 12GB/90 days promo so I was wondering if I would still be able to have that plan since I’ve technically already paid for the next 3 months.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

Sorry to hear.

Just please keep an eye out for back to school and back Friday promos from all carriers.

Also keep checking the announcement section here for any deals.

Good luck!

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@janellecruz,

Sorry........

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Sorry to hear that but keep your eyes open... PM had that 1 day, or well half a day promo. Maybe they will have another one.

Also Back to School is soon & Black Friday is coming up in November if you dont find anything before then. PM had a promo last year in Octboer, lets hope it repeats this year.

Or look into the Koodo 6GB $49 plan (for Quebec) that has a loophole to be used in the rest of Canada.

janellecruz
@Michael77

I heard back from the mods and seems like there’s no chance of getting my account back along with my previous plan, so I don’t think I’ll be coming back. I’ll be staying with Freedom but will keep an eye on any future promos though with PM.

I wish I just got a new number with Freedom instead of porting over right away to try it out but alas, nothing I can do about that now. Freedom does have a 15-day return policy but I’ll probably end up sticking with it because I did get quite a good deal; just not the coverage I would’ve liked, but it’s not the end of the world.

janellecruz
UPDATE: Got this as a response from a mod

“You will need to order a new sim card and do a new activation. I am afraid that once an account is deactivated due to a port out, everything such as the plan, rewards and remaining balance is deleted without any possibility of reactivation. Unfortunately it will not be possible to get the old account back.“

So unfortunately, like a few users had mentioned, once my number was ported out, there’s no way to get my account back. Basically, to go back to PM it’ll be just like I’m a new customer. Mods offered to send a new SIM but without my old plan, it’s unlikely I’ll come back unless another similar promo to the Fall 2016 one comes up.

I’ll probably end up staying with Freedom for now and hope their coverage will get better in the future.

If the phone number actually finished transfering over to Freedom, you cannot get your old account back.  In that case, you would have to start over with a new sim card and a new plan, just as any other "new" customer.

As for crediting you for any unused portion of your old Public Mobile plan and getting your old plan back, that would only be as a goodwill gesture/a customer winback tactic and there are no guarantees.  You can ask but your account and plan would have been given up automatically with the number port out.

Michael77

@janellecruz,

Any update for us?  Did you switch back to PM?

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If going to Freedom I suggest to just get a new phone number and testing them out to see if the network is for you or not. The network is not the same as Public Mobile / Telus / Bell.

If you are happy with Freedom you can always PORT in your PM number. If your unhappy you can cancel Freedom (there are conditions where if you used it minimally you may get your money back if you are not satisfied (check with Freedom when signing up).

janellecruz
So it wouldn’t matter if it’s within 90 days of my last payment (August 11th)? If that’s the case, it’d really be a bummer. Was hoping there would be a way to somehow reactivate my account. I did send a message to the mods so I’ll await their reply.

I ported from koodo almost a year ago. However I can still log in to my old account, but I can only view past bills. So as mentioned above, the plan is most likely gone because you ported out.

If number was ported (even partially) the plan would be gone

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yeah, and I've seen a lot of people move to Freedom because of that awesome deal they had..I came from Freedom in June...wasn't about to move back...

Michael77
I hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted.

janellecruz
Yeah, I’ll definitely send the Mods a message. I’m at work at the moment so I’ll have to check when I get home. Thanks for all your help! Greatly appreciated.

skmkenn

Put your Public Mobile SIM into your phone and see if you're able to make a phone call. If it works then it's possible that the port didn't actually complete on Freedom's side.

In either case, I'd recommend sending a private message to the moderator team with the following information:

• Your e-mail address
  • Your Public Mobile phone number

Advise them that you had ported out to Freedom but that your account is still accessible through self serve and whether or not your old service still works, and that you'd like to come back to Public Mobile. If the account hasn't been closed and the number didn't port out completely / your service is still active they may be able to catch it in time or advise you on what will happen in this situation.

Update: I just saw where you added that your account shows as inactive. Test the SIM out anyways and see if it works, but it might not in this case. I'd get in touch with the mods to see how to proceed in this case.

janellecruz
Hi! Thanks for the reply.

The strange thing is that I did port my number out but I am still able to access my account/profile as of 5 minutes ago. However, my sister did the same thing as me (switched to Freedom) and she got the “account disabled” message.

If my account did eventually got closed, like it normally does in situations where my number was ported out, would I still be able to just get a new SIM card but be able to return to my previous plan? I do have my previous SIM card though so would that still work?

Also, I’m not sure if this helps or not but when I access my account, it says status: Inactive.

skmkenn

Did you port your number out to Freedom Mobile when you switched, or did you select a new number from them?

Normally when a number is ported out the account is closed so I'm presuming that you must have grabbed a new number -- if that's the case then your account and plan should still be valid so all you would need to do is put your Public Mobile SIM back into your phone and start using it again.

If you don't have your SIM card, order a new one online or visit a Walmart store to pick up a new one for $10. Once you have your new SIM, log into your self-serve account and then click on the Plan and Add-ons tab, then click on Change SIM card. It'll ask you for the number printed on the back of your SIM card (also found on the plastic punch card it comes on, I prefer reading it from there as its easier to read). 

Need Help? Let's chat.