cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Check voicemail without using minutes

The method I like to use is Google Hangouts Dialer with a verified phone number (i.e. verify your PM phone number, and Google Hangouts will dial out using your PM number as the outbound caller ID number).

This way, I can dial the VM access number directly (see the list of access numbers in this post), and the VM system just thinks I'm calling from my PM phone.  Furthermore (if you are okay with giving up the security of the PIN), you can disable PIN entry when calling from your phone, and this will also work from Google Hangouts for quick easy access.

The other advantage of this is that you can call out to other people using Google Hangouts (using data, and not voice minutes) and they will see your PM number, and from their point of view, you're just calling from your PM phone.  If they can call you back on your number, this will use the unlimited incoming voice minutes.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@CalgaryBen 

I used to love it too but now I have to reverify every month (due to all scams I guess they have to tighten it) and I heard that this is the last year of hangouts Google is scraping it: (

Too bad as the sound is always great, USA is included and for those who hate ads - there's none.

I switched totally to fongo because of that (copy of message came in really handy once too), ads are in app only (not bad at all) and to remove them is one time $7. 

USA not included though, but TextNow is good enough for it. 

Highlighted

@kselmak wrote:

I used to love it too but now I have to reverify every month (due to all scams I guess they have to tighten it) and I heard that this is the last year of hangouts Google is scraping it: (

I switched totally to fongo because of that (copy of message came in really handy once too) 

Yeah, I've noticed the need to re-verify every month now.  It's annoying, but tolerable.  And yeah, apparently running on borrowed time for this great product... I'll use it until I can't!

Hangouts gracefully handles handoffs from WiFi to cell data and vice-versa.  For some reason Fongo doesn't handle this scenario, so if you're on a phone call at home, and want to go on the road (switching from WiFi to cell), your call gets dropped.

Or, perhaps worse, if you're on a Fongo call (using cell data) and you pass by a recognized WiFi AP (e.g. Tim Hortons, McDonalds, etc.) and your phone switches over, your Fongo call gets dropped...

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CalgaryBen wrote:

The method I like to use is Google Hangouts Dialer with a verified phone number (i.e. verify your PM phone number, and Google Hangouts will dial out using your PM number as the outbound caller ID number).

*cough, cough* Privacy concern @Catherine_T  that still has not been addressed:  This is related to not needing a password to listen to messages or make setting changes to the voicemail box account.

Highlighted

@scelford 

Here is a list of local voicemail access numbers across Canada which you can call when you have access to a landline, or other Wi-Fi calling app like aforementioned fongo,Google hangouts dialer, textnow etc:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

Also, you can consider using a 3rd party voicemail service like YouMail, which will send you your voicemail messages via e-mail with a sound file attachment, as well as a text transcription even in the free plan. You could even have the messages sent to you by MMS if you use the email address format NXXNXXXXXX@mms.mb.telus.com which doesn't consume data to receive. (But data has to be on...) then you never need to actually dial out to hear the messages.

Now you effectively have visual voicemail!

Need Help? Let's chat.