cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Check voicemail without using minutes

Is there any way to check a voicemail without using minutes? I am on the $15 plan and whenever I call my voicemail I am using up my previous 100 minutes.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Check voicemail without using minutes

@scelford wrote:

Is there any way to check a voicemail without using minutes? I am on the $15 plan and whenever I call my voicemail I am using up my previous 100 minutes.

I have a $10 plan with only 50 minutes/30days.

1.  I set my phone to airplane mode so that it does not answer any calls.

2.  Call my PM number from my home phone or any phone without usage charge by the mionute.

3.  As soon as it connects to my voicemail, I press * and them my voicemail 4 digit passcode to access my voicemails.

Update:

4.  After getting your voicemail, turn off your airplane mode to get your phone back to normal working condition.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@scelford wrote:

2.  Call my PM number from my home phone or any phone without usage charge by the mionute.

3.  As soon as it connects to my voicemail, I press * and them my voicemail 4 digit passcode to access my voicemails.

Update:

4.  After getting your voicemail, turn off your airplane mode to get your phone back to normal working condition.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@scelford 

I would call your voicemail number from another phone.

Highlighted
Oracle

Try calling the voicemail number from a land line.  Others on the 15$ plan will have a definate answer though.

@z10user4 do you know for sure?

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi - welcome to Public Mobile - you could download a free app like Text Now or Fongo and answer and listen to your messages from there.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@popping wrote:

@scelford wrote:

@scelford this one ^^^^^^ by @popping .  I tried it and it works.  Cheers!

@popping thank you.  that is very helpful to me too.  🌹

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@scelford wrote:

For $5, you can get 500 minutes of Canada wide calling added to your regular plan. If you don't use them all, they just roll over until gone...even if that takes several month or longer.

Alternative is to get the free TextNow app that uses wifi to call your vm. Did I mention that it's FREE !

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@scelford 

I have a great trick for it.

I opened fongo account with alternative phone number. Totally free Canada calling.

In fongo settings I send copy of my voicemail to my email.

I set fongo to ring only once (I recently increased it to twice, gives me extra 2 rings to get to answer the call)

I forward all my missed/ignored/unavailable calls to my fongo instead of the voicemail number.

With this method I get to keep copy of voicemail if I need to, I have virtually unlimited voicemail, it's kinda like visual voicemail and I can access it 3 ways, through app in the voicemail box, through app dialing 1, through my email.

How to turn your 100 min plan into virtually unlimited

Call yourself using fongo.

Answer the call

Go back to fongo app and click transfer call

Enter the destination number.

Fongo will disconnect and only your cell and destination number with remain connected.

It uses only 0.07 megabytes

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo wrote:

Try calling the voicemail number from a land line.  Others on the 15$ plan will have a definate answer though.

@z10user4 do you know for sure?

Well...since you called... 🙂

Yes.

1. Voicemail can be reached using any voicemail access number from any phone or voip app.

2. Voicemail can be reached by dialing ones own 10 digit phone number from any phone or voip app.

3. Voicemail can be reached by pressing and holding 1 on the phones keypad.

Using the handset to access voicemail other than via voip app will use minutes in a limited minute plan.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The method I like to use is Google Hangouts Dialer with a verified phone number (i.e. verify your PM phone number, and Google Hangouts will dial out using your PM number as the outbound caller ID number).

This way, I can dial the VM access number directly (see the list of access numbers in this post), and the VM system just thinks I'm calling from my PM phone.  Furthermore (if you are okay with giving up the security of the PIN), you can disable PIN entry when calling from your phone, and this will also work from Google Hangouts for quick easy access.

The other advantage of this is that you can call out to other people using Google Hangouts (using data, and not voice minutes) and they will see your PM number, and from their point of view, you're just calling from your PM phone.  If they can call you back on your number, this will use the unlimited incoming voice minutes.

Need Help? Let's chat.