cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chatr matching PM now

Respublica
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just receievd an offer from Chatr, offering exactly same plan. 4.5 GB data for 40. Linited time offer. I was long time FIDO and Freedom client in the past. However I am now happy with PM after 2 weeks experience. Signal better even underground P1 and P2 signal still OK. 

29 REPLIES 29

horemansus

@Respublica wrote:

@rom the discussion link sent by @

Why can't  peiple just use simpler terms like 3G and LTE?

Technology advances, new equipment is installed, then the wireless companies stsrt playing with the terminology so what they have seems more advanced than it is, leaving us all in a haze of confusion

shaplamaple
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Respublica wrote:

I just receievd an offer from Chatr, offering exactly same plan. 4.5 GB data for 40. Linited time offer. I was long time FIDO and Freedom client in the past. However I am now happy with PM after 2 weeks experience. Signal better even underground P1 and P2 signal still OK. 

I like PM more than anything after 2 weeks of usage. Chatr cannot match it wahtsoever. Go PM Go

Chatr has been offering Public-like talk, text, and 3g data plans on and off for a while now.  Right now, the current offers at $40, $45, $50 match up almost identically, with one key difference.  These Chatr plans are zoned.

Even Lucky Mobile lately has been doing non-zoned talk, text, and data plans similar to Public Mobile's offerings.

Are these Chatr plans being offered to Fido customers non-zoned?  If they aren't, there's nothing at all different than they're offering everyone else.

mynamejc

+1 to other comments on 3G. I came from Chatr after using it for many years. Public is far superior in terms of data speed/consistency and the fact that are no zones.

dtran3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The community and loyalty programs are making me not even consider switching to another service provider! Pretty happy with what they're offering thus far 🙂

@Respublica wrote:

@daredogg

haha, you have to divorce them first before getting a better deal

Yeah... and when I saw ROGERS on my call ID, I mutterred.... friggen Rogers (using other words)!! Robot LOL  I wouldn't suggest that tactic, if you're liking the service you're getting! lol

Respublica

@daredogg

haha, you have to divorce them first before getting a better deal

Respublica

@rom the discussion link sent by @awong_snow, there is easier voabulary:

"GSM stands for 2G 
WCDMA stands for 3G+
UMTS stands for 3G
CDMA stands for 1x& EVDO speeds
All these technologies are different u generally get GSM,UMTS & WCDMA slots in single handsets
CDMA is totally different"

Why can't  peiple just use simpler terms like 3G and LTE?

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

Try leaving any service provider these days, and they'll try to get you back. I recently had that experience with my internet connection. I cancelled with Rogers, only to be called an hour later with a deal that's not even advertised. I'm sure that's what Chatr and others are doing... offering even sweeter deals to people who've cancelled, in hopes that price point is why they left in the first place. I ended up staying with Rogers for my internet connection because the deal was ridiculous! It actually made me angry knowing they'd rather keep me as a customer (no matter what) instead of letting my money go to another provider! Robot Mad

horemansus

WCDMA is 3g+

@Respublica wrote:

Hi all

checking my setting: in Android O

options are;

GSM/WCDMA/LTE

GSM/WCDMA

WCDMA only

GSM only

No 3G and LTE

Should I choose the first one?

GSM/WCDMA will give you 3G+ (HSPA+)

Respublica

@awong_snow

so I guess the LTE option is the first one on the list?

Respublica

@popping

thank you for your reminder. That's good to know... I am OK with the throttled 3G speed

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Respublica wrote:

@horemansus

wow, more hot tips. I have to see my setting and check what I set. LTE or 3G. Will experiment first

Thanks a lot

Don't do speed test... Just browsing - okay, 1 short video to test it. Don't waste your monthly data quota by doing speed test.

Respublica

Hi all

checking my setting: in Android O

options are;

GSM/WCDMA/LTE

GSM/WCDMA

WCDMA only

GSM only

No 3G and LTE

Should I choose the first one?

horemansus

@Acekiller wrote:

how did you get the offer? in store?

It is on the web pages clearly.

Requires automatic payment.

Note that only Public Mobile has a rewards system! 

AND no zones, so no extra fees as you travel in Canada

=====================================================

chatrmobile says: (on the web)

Auto-pay plans offer the convenience of automatic payments charged to your pre-authorized credit card each month. It's one less thing to worry about and there are no monthly bills. Choose your plan below to get started.
TALK, TEXT & DATA PLANS (IN-ZONE)
$50Per Month
6 GB + Bonus 500 MB at 3G speed
Unlimited Canada/US Talk & International Text
-Details
INCLUDESPlan Includes Details
  • Unlimited in-zone Canada/US Talk
  • Unlimited in-zone Text to Canada,
    US & International
  • 6 GB at 3G speed. Continue using data at a reduced speed until your next Anniversary Date.
  • Auto-pay offer: Bonus 500 MB data at 3G speed/month
  • International Talk Saver
  • Voicemail

Respublica

@horemansus

wow, more hot tips. I have to see my setting and check what I set. LTE or 3G. Will experiment first

Thanks a lot

horemansus

@popping wrote:

Chatr 3g is slooooooooooooow.

Chatr is zone based.  Roaming charge on highway.

PM is much much better.

I second that.

No zones + no extra fees.

Throttled LTE works just fine for the majority of us.

horemansus

@Respublica wrote:

@closng

I am not technically savvy to know that, thank you. So there are different types of 3G, not all 3G are equal. Some are better than others 

IT IS IN THE DETAILS:\

if you set yopur phone to LTE you will get throttled to 3Mb/s .. all most of us will ever need.

If you set your phone to 3G only, you will likely get 10 or 11 Mb/s, with slightly worse pings, and lower upload. 

YMMV

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Chatr 3g is slooooooooooooow.

Chatr is zone based.  Roaming charge on highway.

PM is much much better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Respublica wrote:

@closng

I am not technically savvy to know that, thank you. So there are different types of 3G, not all 3G are equal. Some are better than others 

With Public Mobile you're connecting with 4G LTE but they throttle it down to so-called 3G speed and call it 3G. But it's really 4G...just intentionally slower.

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Respublica wrote:

@closng

That's correct, Public Mobile's 3G is actually LTE (4G) network in disguise, slowed down to 3G speeds 🙂

Respublica

@closng

Respublica

@Acekiller

I got the offer as SMS text. I wonder if they all former clients in their database

Acekiller

how did you get the offer? in store?

closng

@Respublica wrote:

@MacMe

yes, the reward system for LOYALTY is great. I also like ther idea of doing everything self serve. Great comminity too!

Also need to keep in mind that Chatr's data is the inferior "true" 3G speeds network whereas with Public Mobile, you get LTE network throttled to 3G speeds, which has better latenc 🙂

Respublica

@MacMe

yes, the reward system for LOYALTY is great. I also like ther idea of doing everything self serve. Great community too!

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good to see PM making an impact on the mobility space!

@Respublica wrote:

MacMe

Glad your happy with Public Mobile. Plus PM's reward system is awesome!

Need Help? Let's chat.