cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Chatr and Lucky are Zone-Free - Time for Public to Fix Problems and to Rethink Self-Serve Model?

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 64kbps??? omg.  No thanks.  That's dial-up speeds. I wonder what web sites they're browsing?  LOL.  Though an extra 1.5GB for $15 isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things.

From chatrwireless.com:

"If your data usage in a month exceeds your 3G speed data allotment, you can continue to use data with no overage charge, but managed data speeds will be reduced from up to 3 Mbps to up to 64 kilobits per second (for both download and upload) until your Anniversary Date. Many applications that do not require high bandwidth (such as email and web browsing) should not be significantly affected by this speed reduction. Applications that will likely be affected by this speed reduction are those that demand higher bandwidths (for example video streaming). "

They use the wording of "should not be significantly affected".   That really is funny because most sites these days are bandwidth hogs.  I remember the days of dial-up when you go for a bathroom break and the website would still be loading a minute later.  I can only imagine how long current media-rich websites would take.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Chatr and Lucky are Zone-Free - Time for Public to Fix Problems and to Rethink Self-Serve Model?

@computergeek541 they must be assuming text-heavy pages, rendered in mobile format and/or via a responsive framework.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When set at 3G on the phone; Chatr's 3G is equivalent to Public's 3G in terms of signal. Bandwidth is unlocked on Public so there's a plus there. When connected to LTE, Chatr doesn't have a LTE network but Public does. The latency decrease is enough to make it much better than what Chatr offers.

I haven't used Lucky before but as far as I know, they also have a LTE network locked at 3Mbit with also a customer service line.

Talking plan details alone, Public is behind Lucky but ahead of Chatr. If you factor in rewards, Public is ahead of the three but only if the customer pursues it.

Honestly, all this competition doesn't affect current customers because you're not going to get any benefit from switching. But if the company wants to grow, they need to change things up to bring in more customers.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 they must be assuming text-heavy pages, rendered in mobile format and/or via a responsive framework.  

And what site is text-heavy or all text these days?  And FTP site?  Clearly, it's just b.s. that Chatr is doing just so that they can advertise "unlimited".

@Effort wrote:

Honestly, all this competition doesn't affect current customers because you're not going to get any benefit from switching. But if the company wants to grow, they need to change things up to bring in more customers.

Yes, exactly - but when it comes to newly signed up customer who can't get the service working quickly because of the website or activation server, or because of a slow customer service reponse, this will cause the customer to quickly switch to one of the others.

When it comes potential new customers, I fear that Public Mobile will shortly see a decline in new sign ups, simply because of the no phone in customer service.  As I said, I do not believe that most customers are going to chase after referral and community rewards.  That only leaves Autopay rewards ($2/30 days - minor percentage-wise), and loyalty rewards that customers won't see for at least a year, or 5 years for the maximum.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Those others don't seem to have US Roaming features like PM options.

Need Help? Let's chat.