cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing number to preferred area code

komodia
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Okay, I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I recently moved back to BC and am looking to change my number. I know there are options to do this in Self-Serve, but... I am superstitious and really really want number with more 8s in it. I used to be able to do it at the FIDO store where the sales rep were able to help me find something more luckiness. Is there any way I can find a way to change my number and select it from a larger roster than what populates today on self-serve?

Sincerely,

Highly Superstitious Mobile User

15 REPLIES 15

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@komodia , if you have patience, you can check daily early am EST for release of new numbers.  I got a CRD number with 250 area code for a friend which has quite a few 8s just recently.  @Lilchildjamie17 , you can use the same strategy for your 403 area code number.  

You can search for a 403 number someone wants to sell it it’s really cool.  But that’s really vane.  It will be expensive.  Keeping your current number is best.

@Lilchildjamie17 wrote:

I currently have a Calgary,Alberta number but it has a 587 area code when I need a 403 area code?? Can I change my number to that area code it's for the same city

587 Calgary phone numbers function exactly the same way.  You'll find that over time, less and less people will care about the area code and having a phone number with a city's original area code is largely for bragging or sentimental reasons.  This is especially true these days with more people relying in cell phone contact lists and no longer memorizing numbers.

You'll only be able to get a 403 area code Calgary number if one is available and if Public Mobile offers it.   I would second Luddite's recommendation to activate a prepaid service elsewhere with a 403 Calgary number if you can find one, and then transfer that phone number to Public Mobile.

@vincep wrote:

Number can be selected if requested through Moderators ..depending on the availability for the requested area code ...hope that helps 

I'll believe when I see it. Seems a waste of mod time if they will do it. Robot Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Lilchildjamie17 wrote:

I currently have a Calgary,Alberta number but it has a 587 area code when I need a 403 area code?? Can I change my number to that area code it's for the same city

Login to your account and click Change Number. Look at what is offered when you choose Calgary; that list is ALL that Public Mobile offers.

If you must have a a 403 Calgary number there are two choices:

a) leave PM for a carrier that has them, or

b) get the lowest cost plan from a carrier that has those numbers and port that number to your PM account.

This is an issue that has arisen several times. These are the only options I have seen work. Robot Frustrated

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Lilchildjamie17

vincep
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Number can be selected if requested through Moderators ..depending on the availability for the requested area code ...hope that helps 

komodia

Oh whoops, I am not sure what I clicked the first time around. It is my first time around on this forum. I hope the solution piece is rectified. Thanks for pointing it out!

@geopublic wrote:

@komodia wrote:

Okay, I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I recently moved back to BC and am looking to change my number. I know there are options to do this in Self-Serve, but... I am superstitious and really really want number with more 8s in it. I used to be able to do it at the FIDO store where the sales rep were able to help me find something more luckiness. Is there any way I can find a way to change my number and select it from a larger roster than what populates today on self-serve?

Sincerely,

@komodia  If I remember correctly when selecting a new number via selfserve there is an option to pick the last four digits of your number. So might be worth a try.Smiley Happy

Note: Due to the high volume of requests please be patient, it might take a while to get a response.

That option is only available during activation.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@komodia wrote:

Sincerely,

@komodia  If I remember correctly when selecting a new number via selfserve there is an option to pick the last four digits of your number. So might be worth a try.Smiley Happy

Note: Due to the high volume of requests please be patient, it might take a while to get a response.

@komodia wrote:

Sincerely,

If it's of that much importance to you, Telus Mobility used to have an option when changing phone numbers to show only what they called "Asian friendly" phone numbers.  I don't remember if that was an option when activating a new account, but it definitely was an option for the Telus self-serve site number change feature.  It would give you a lot of 2s and 8s, but would try to minimize the 4s.  I can't guarantee that's still an option at Telus Mobility, but if it is, that "asian friendly" phone number option was great, and would often uncover numbers that wouldn't show up unless you checked that option.  It used to also give a lot of numbers that ended in 00.  I would suggest asking a friend who uses Telus Mobility and ask him/her if the Asian-friendly phone number option is still there. In some cities, Telus even had some numbers that started with 882 or even 888 after the area code.

The reason for me brining that up is because of the fact that a Telus Mobility phone number could then be transfered to Public Mobile.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@komodia wrote:

Oh thank you! I will try asking them very nicely and see if they accomodate my silly request :). Thanks for the quick response!

If @emad was able to answer your question, it seems reasonable that you would select his answer as "Solution". No ?

You can amend your Solution, if you wish.

@komodia , I know that it could have been an accident, and it could have even been one of the oracles or moderators who did it by mistake, but if you were the one who marked a solution, please don't mark your own post as such.  Part of the reason for solutions is to thank other members for helping you. Solutions may also come into play when calculating community rewards.

@komodia wrote:

Oh thank you! I will try asking them very nicely and see if they accomodate my silly request :). Thanks for the quick response!

If @emad was able to answer your question, it seems reasonable that you would select his answer as "Solution". No ?

You can amend your Solution, if you wish.

komodia

emad
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Only the moderator team can help you picking your preferred number , you should contact the moderator team.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.