cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Number Problem

kimbo_sells
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Hoping someone can assist. Long story short. I have a new public account for an elderly user as emergency and someone keeps calling the line saying awful things to them saying that their phone is texting them. I verified that the phone hasn't sent any texts (user wouldn't even know how to), so I suspect a scammer is spoofing this cell number. In any event, it made them really uneasy. So I changed the number via self-service, I believe it said successful... that was this morning, but no change. I don't see anywhere on 'my account' to see the number. On the phone (after multiple reboots) it still shows the old number.

Thanks for your time!

17 REPLIES 17

Hadn’t seen the $5 discount offer. Home Phone Lite I think is limited to 1 feature where as Home Phone is either several features or possibly whatever features you currently have.

AE_Collector

Note.....there are no expiry dates on this offering. 

AD5F358A-03E2-41D8-96E9-1669C0E642D9.jpeg

@LurganIeUk 

You mean BC Tel was the “ONLY“ provider of phone service in your younger years. I actually have two Telus landlines though fed to me on fibre. One is actually free and nothing to do with me being a retired employee and it isn’t a 6 month or a 1 year promo, its permanent. But that’s not a deal that anyone else is going to get.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Nezgar 

Depending on where they are located and since they have other services from Telus, a phone call can get their phone line permanently to about $15 a month with all the features they currently have. Not a phone in every year and plead for a better price but a permanent price change. It’s called Loyalty Home Phone. You may already know or have this, just wanted to be sure you knew this.

AE_Collector

I know 2 people with $5 monthly rate. BC Tel in my young years only provided phone services to the general population. Obviously it is no longer their money maker. 

@Nezgar 

Depending on where they are located and since they have other services from Telus, a phone call can get their phone line permanently to about $15 a month with all the features they currently have. Not a phone in every year and plead for a better price but a permanent price change. It’s called Loyalty Home Phone. You may already know or have this, just wanted to be sure you knew this.

AE_Collector

kimbo_sells

Problem was we had multiple people over the course a few weeks messaging and calling the number back in a rage. Saying they'd been getting texted all sorts of things for hours in the early morning etc. I tried to explain to one person that it wasn't this user; but they weren't having it. I blocked about five lines, but the person was persistent in trying.

Changing the number was the easiest solution as there was no significance to us.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Yes when I had Telus TV and phone I found the TV to be most accurate. But boo hoo I cancelled Telus phone for VoIP.ms which is loaded with features that Telus does not have. 

I'm also trying to convert my parents' landline from Telus to voip.ms, but they also really like the call display on Telus TV. I wonder if there's a 3rd party SIP thing that could display on their TV... or maybe those oldschool super-large LCD caller ID boxes haha.

Workaround is to simring the cell phone, so he can check caller ID from his pocket 🙂

@AE_Collector wrote:

I always thought it was ultimately a poor decision for phone regulating authorities to allow certain customers to generate their own call display info. I understand the appeal for it in some cases, companies with PBXs can alter the number shown from any internal extension making a call so that the switchboard number shows on Call Display. Or they can show a specific number that they would like calls to come back to rather than the Actual extension that made the call. But why allow a display to be generated that isn’t remotely similar to the actual number of the lines the business is using? That’s what leads to all of this BS. 

I have a home phone line from Telus with Call Display AND we get call display on our TV As well since it is Telus TV. The phone and the TV Call Display don't always follow the exact same format. Last week I recall an incoming call showing as from MY EXCHANGE (spoofed) on my landline phone while the TV showed an incoming 011 call from Singapore. Busted.

AE_Collector

Yes when I had Telus TV and phone I found the TV to be most accurate. But boo hoo I cancelled Telus phone for VoIP.ms which is loaded with features that Telus does not have. 

@kimbo_sells wrote:

Fantastic - thank you!

I checked there and it does show new number! For whatever reason phone wasn't updating. I called both and it works.

Not a very intuitive place to hide the account phone number.

Thank you you've gave an elderly person piece of mind 🙂

Hi @kimbo_sells nice to hear that the problem was solved and that it gave an elderly person piece of mind.  Have a great week ahead!  Cheers!  👋

I always thought it was ultimately a poor decision for phone regulating authorities to allow certain customers to generate their own call display info. I understand the appeal for it in some cases, companies with PBXs can alter the number shown from any internal extension making a call so that the switchboard number shows on Call Display. Or they can show a specific number that they would like calls to come back to rather than the Actual extension that made the call. But why allow a display to be generated that isn’t remotely similar to the actual number of the lines the business is using? That’s what leads to all of this BS. 

I have a home phone line from Telus with Call Display AND we get call display on our TV As well since it is Telus TV. The phone and the TV Call Display don't always follow the exact same format. Last week I recall an incoming call showing as from MY EXCHANGE (spoofed) on my landline phone while the TV showed an incoming 011 call from Singapore. Busted.

AE_Collector

Call Blocking

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

Keeping your contact list up to date is very important as most calls that are NOT in your contacts list will show a phone number ONLY and that will tip you off, that the caller may be unknown to you.

😀Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. 😀

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

LurganIeUk_0-1600651869355.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/15/how-to-identify-block-spamc-calls-ios-android/

Copyright 2020

Scam spoofing likes to Spoof a number in the same exchange that they are calling so that it looks like a local call to the person being called and they are more likely to answer it. They dont use a real number though, its just a bogus number they made up for the call display. Thus if someone gets a call but ignores it and a message is left that turns out to be a spam call ...the person might call back to the number from their call display and chew the person out who answers. In reality, the call DID NOT come from this person. Any call to you from the same Area Code and exchange as your number stands a reasonably high likelihood of being a Spam Call.

AE_Collector

@kimbo_sells You're welcome. Have a great evening!

kimbo_sells

Fantastic - thank you!

I checked there and it does show new number! For whatever reason phone wasn't updating. I called both and it works.

Not a very intuitive place to hide the account phone number.

Thank you you've gave an elderly person piece of mind 🙂

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@kimbo_sells  further to my first post. If number didn't change when you did it before. Try opening a fresh browser in incognito mode to change the number.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@kimbo_sells 

In self service choose the tab Plan and Add-Ons. Your number will be displayed there.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You are allowed one number change per 30 days.

A quick way to see the number on your account is.

Number will be on top left.

Need Help? Let's chat.