cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed my number by accident

JohnJudge1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello so I was checking out the option to change my number and I thought there was going to be a confirmation window and it just changed my 416 number I just wanted to see how the app works but I would like my number back if it's possible please and thank you.

John 

9 REPLIES 9

@mimmo 

Normally numbers are held in gte reassignment pool for 90 days but they have been reassigned in as few as 30 days. To be reassigned in less than 30 days would be by error similar to when a number is made available but is already in use as we have seen happen on occasion here.

@RosieR wrote:

@JohnJudge1 just following up on what's going on with your problem.

Have a nice day

Aloha

RosieR

Hi @JohnJudge1 just bumping your thread.  What happened to your old number?

Have a great weekend

RosieR

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@JohnJudge1 just following up on what's going on with your problem.

Have a nice day

Aloha

RosieR

@mimmo you maybe correct but 416 numbers are highly in demand.

• Phone number reassignment refers to the event after a number has been deactivated or disconnected and then later reassigned to another person. The reassignment will typically take 90 days, but it can be faster in high-demand area codes.

Anyway, phoning the old number is one way to find out if phone number is available or not.  Don't you think?

Have a nice day

RosieR

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RosieR  are you sure numbers get reassigned that fast? My understanding was that phone numbers go through a cooling off period I believe over 90 days before being reassigned to new users.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There really should be a confirmation, I hope they can implement one at some point. 

Probably makes fraud easier too if someone can just hack in and say change number with no action or verification on your part, then you'd have a hard time getting access to your own things like banking 2fa.

They've heavily focused on Sim swap that I've seen but this could definitely pose an issue too. 

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@JohnJudge1 wrote:

Hello so I was checking out the option to change my number and I thought there was going to be a confirmation window and it just changed my 416 number I just wanted to see how the app works but I would like my number back if it's possible please and thank you.

John 

@JohnJudge1  oh no!  416 numbers are in demand.  Try calling your old number.  If someone answers, your number is gone.   If you hear something like this "the number you are calling has been changed to xxx-xxx-xxxx.  There is hope, because the carrier maintains the number, and you can inquire about reinstating your old number.

Contact the moderators using the links provided above.

Moderators are available:
  • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Please keep us posted.

Aloha
RosieR

@esjliv wrote:

@JohnJudge1 wrote:

John 

@JohnJudge1 see if the Moderators can help you, submit a request to them.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

@JohnJudge1 

There's really not guarantee that this will work.  I do hope that they can get it back. When a number is cancelled, it doesn't get redistrubuted to another person immediately.  I suspect that this could possibly taking multiple requests.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@JohnJudge1 wrote:

John 

@JohnJudge1 see if the Moderators can help you, submit a request to them.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Need Help? Let's chat.