cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of Address

MajorPainage
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So I moved to another Ontario city, and now anyone that calls me from my area still has to make a long distance call.  How do you have your account location adjusted so people local to you aren't having to do long distance calls?

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

.  I think we said the same thing, though I may have veen a bit more verbose about it.  🙂

Not as bad as the bottom one, though. Robot LOL

@Luddite nice find!  I can only aspire to that voracious and vibrant level of verbosity and explicity, in order to perfect maximizing the outwardly perceived levels of effectiveness--nay--clarity which is inherent in written communication prose.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

.  I think we said the same thing, though I may have veen a bit more verbose about it.  🙂

Not as bad as the bottom one, though. Robot LOL

verbose.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@MajorPainageGo to your selfserve account and change your number to a Pembroke number.

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 2.45.09 PM.png

srlawren

@MajorPainage wrote:

Again I moved from Ottawa to Pembroke.  Both 613 area code.

My dad lives next door to me and for him to call me it's a long distance call like I'm still in Ottawa.  When you dial it says it's long distance and must dial 1 and the area code.

@MajorPainage it's not just your area code that dictates long distance or not, the exchange is also involved.  Your current number is in an exchange for Ottawa.  Your dad's carrier has no idea that you're standing in Pembroke when he dials your Ottawa number.  If his plan only includes local calling, and your number is not local (which it sounds like it is not), he will have to pay long distance unless you change your number to a Pembroke exchange (or have him update to a plan with a better calling area).

@MajorPainage wrote:

If I was to go to my local mall, I could change companies to say Fido, transfer my number to them, and I would then be local and no need for dialing 1.

@MajorPainage I don't believe this would be correct.  As long as you retain the Ottawa exchange--be it with PM, Fido, Bell, or anyone else--and your dad stays on the same plan he's on, it will be long distance.  

Remember, long distance is charged to the person dilaing the call, based on their plan and the destination area code & exchange.  I'm assuming he's dialing from a landline since "local" calling plans are much more prevalent in those than mobile.  His local landline provider has no idea where you are located, only that your phone number is located in Ottawa, and that his plan doesn't consider that a local call.

Hopefully this makes some sense.

EDIT: looks like I typed too much and @computergeek541 beat me to it.  I think we said the same thing, though I may have veen a bit more verbose about it.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@MajorPainage wrote:

My dad lives next door to me and for him to call me it's a long distance call like I'm still in Ottawa.  When you dial it says it's long distance and must dial 1 and the area code.

If I was to go to my local mall, I could change companies to say Fido, transfer my number to them, and I would then be local and no need for dialing 1.

If you went to Fido and transfered your number in to them, this wouldn't change anything. Your Ottawa-bassed phone number would still be an Ottawa number.  If you want the call to be local for your dad to call you, he will either have to get a plan that includes long distance callilng, or you would have to change to a local number or provide him with a local number that he should be calling for him to reach you.

MajorPainage

@MajorPainage wrote:

Why would I change it to a local exchange?  Phone numbers can follow you anywhere whenever you move.  If I had a landline, I could have the same number transferred to the new address and continue with the same number.  Why can't a cell nunber be transferred the same way?  If I was going to switch to Bell, Telus, Koodo, Fido, etc., they would transfer my number to their service and make it local to my area

It totally depends on the company that is billing, bell landline refused to consider my brother's 613 number local in toronto for any of my relatives, though he was in toronto and he moved his address with rogers. I resolved that by getting him 647 number with fongo and just forwarded that to his b613 and put that in my grandma's phonebook

srlawren

@MajorPainage to clarify:  people where you used to live are having to dial long distance to reach you now, OR, people where you live now are having to dial long distance to reach you now?

MajorPainage

Why would I change it to a local exchange?  Phone numbers can follow you anywhere whenever you move.  If I had a landline, I could have the same number transferred to the new address and continue with the same number.  Why can't a cell nunber be transferred the same way?  If I was going to switch to Bell, Telus, Koodo, Fido, etc., they would transfer my number to their service and make it local to my area.

I would actually suggest fongo over freephoneline as they also have smartphone app that is very useful backup/abroad data/wifi line, completely free for you ( unless you want to buy some extras from them)

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

If you don't want to change your phone to the local one you can try opening fongo account or freephoneline account. They give free numbers for most of ontario and you can set forwarding for free to your number. This way they can call the local number and be seamlessly transferred to your cell number without even knowing it. I did that for my family members who have landlines

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@MajorPainage, you could try to change your phone number to a "local" exchange.  Sadly the problem is actually with your contacts having very old phone plans where a call across the street is literally treated as a long distance call.  Most current phone plans do not even have long distance charge for calls within the country. 

Need Help? Let's chat.