cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change IP address?

Ematrix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It seems I was recently assigned an IP address that seems to be on Niantic's ban list. As of today, I can no longer authenticate login for Pokemon Go on mobile data. As Niantic has no support or method in which to get a hold of them, how would I go about requesting my ip address be rotated?

52 REPLIES 52

kjmckenz

Although TELUS is aware of the issue, I guess it may depend on your device, but I went down a network speed to HSDPA (4G) and now it works again!

If I go back up to LTE, as of last night's testing, it reverts back to giving me an authentication error.

I'm unsure as to why the technology of LTE (vs HSDPA/4G) would prevent the app from allowing you to log in, but my Clefairy is very happy to be able to walk around and find candy again. ^_^

Valor FTW. 🙂

landf2000

Hey do you mind linking the reddit post? Just want to take a look.

PBForMe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Somebody posted this on reddit, take it for what it's worth:

Just wanted to post an update!
Telus is aware of the issue and working to resolve.

It involves only Telus and Koodo customers in Ontario only. They suggested that all of you call in and report to push it
up the list further, and they will send out a text when the
issue is fixed.
Cheers!

landf2000

Been having this same issue too, super frustrated 😠

kjmckenz

I started running into this issue as well yesterday, and I was actually super disappointed because I was downtown Toronto (and coming from the outskirts of the suburbs, that's a big deal for Pokemon GO!).

When I'm at home or at work on WiFi, the app works perfectly. Once I go to use the mobile network, I can no longer log in. I did finally get to log in last night, but that was after setting my phone to airplane mode over and over and over again.... It started to work, just as I was leaving Toronto. 😞

Anywho, just wanted to share that I too am experiencing this issue.

P.S. Team Valor. ^_^

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It works fine for me on PM; no issues to connect for a while now.

Slow to battle high level gyms but that is the games fault (latest update has a memory leak issue causing things to hang; as per the silph road). 

When stops do not spin, restart the program. 

if nothing appears or everything runs away, you are soft banned (your phone gps is wonky and teleports you too much... shut down wait an hour - Wifi in a building can hurt you here ... unless your person stands still then no issue... mine moves in my house, sometimes across the train tracks ... grr!). When swapping from wifi to outside, restart the program otherwise it thinks you are spoofing as your signal changes - ie leaving your house to go outside. 

Long live Valor!

madakun905
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks. I have been having the same issue since this morning. I was able to get in only once after a while in the morning. Then it doesn't work again for the whole day. After tethering through a friend I was able to play.

Oh well. I've sent the email too. Don't think much can be done.

PBForMe

This seems to be an issue with users on Telus according to a reddit thread. All people who are reporting it are on Telus, PM or Koodoo. 

Whether it's Telus blocking it or Nianitic is anyones guess. 

Ematrix

Well, I've set up a temporary solution that works for me. Unfortunately, it means I will have to deal with tapping a few menu items every time I leave home or work but for now, I can play go while waiting for a response from Niantic or if someone knows how to request an IP address change.

I did not know this but windows has built-in VPN server software. So I set up a VPN with a randomized 20+ character password and used the VPN settings in android to set up the connection. Now Go signs in great. So long as my home ISP doesn't rotate my IP address to one banned by Niantic.

Actually, I could probably remove that annoyance with that "always on VPN" thing. That's probably what that setting is for.

Anyway, just thought I would report back for anyone else who finds this and has the same issue and a windows machine at home they always have on. Don't forget to forward the ports and make sure the password is secure. Like, really secure. Like, as in, there is no way you could possibly remember the password without writing it down secure.

I've left a request with niantic through the "ban appeal" form. Hoping for a response. And I figured requesting a new IP address from public mobile might not be something so common as to be easy but if anyone does know of a way, let me know.

But for now, I've found a temporary measure that can ease my mind and ease me from having to deal with all this frustration.

PBForMe

Interesting, as of today I've been unable to login with Pokemon Go on Public Mobile data, but it works fine on WiFi. Is this a PM issue or Nianitc? 

EDIT: It just started working again Smiley Frustrated

Ematrix

Thanks! Those look older but I didn't run into them during my googling. I'll have a browse.

Just beware I know nothing about this game. Anyway, I found these articles on the issue of Pokemon Go malfunctioning on cellular data: Pokemon trouble and Other things.

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Ematrix

Thanks for the suggestion but my time is correct and I don't have the issue on WiFi with the same time/zone. I've set it manually just in case - same issue.

Oh, I also did try to sign into a new account on my phone on mobile and the same issue occurs.

Edit: I also tried parallel spaces in order to follow the suggestion of removing and re-adding your account - same issue.

I then attempted to log into pokemon go from my other phone, tethered to my main phone, on public mobile - same issue.

geogolem

hmm, interesting..

My friend once had a similar issue with pokemon GO...

He resolved it by changing the time zone on his phone. He had to make sure that the timezone in his phone was correct... The time was correct with both time zones. -4 or -5.. eastern standard time... 

perhaps you could try that. I cant remember the exact details of his issue..

Ematrix

Oh I guess I didn't provide all the details because I was hoping for a reference to where to request IP change but didn't expect so many quick replies with people familiar with Go.

So basically, I am able to login via WiFi at home but as soon as I go out, pokestops stop showing up and the white pokeball continuously spins. It's been happening all day. Started mid-day and I eventually got back on but now I've been unable to get on for 6 hours. I kill the app and restart it and I get the message that allows me to "retry" signing in but this fails. Eventually, I signed out, reinstalled, rebooted and opened it up and hit "sign in". The error I get after 2-5 minutes of waiting is "Unable to Authenticate, please try again later"

Edit: I'm not rooted either. Also, it seems Tunnelbear's IP addresses are simply blocked by niantic as through their vpn works neither on wifi or mobile.

geogolem

What kind of behavior or error message are you receiving when you try to log in? or is it just hanging on the login screen?

Ematrix

Interesting. I expected this to work as I eliminated the possibility of account issues by successfully signing in over wifi. However, the issues persists through the VPN.

Geogolem, thanks for your response. I did manage to find that section. However, the fact that the VPN doesn't work worries me. I've already tried completely removing and reinstalling the app.

Edit: on a side-note I've already checked the safetynet thing and no issues there.

geogolem

@Ematrix: Interesting that that e-mail doesnt work.

Anyway, I followed the link you posted. and in the top right corner clicked "Submit Request" ..

I was then given a menu. I attached a snapshot of that menu. pokemon.PNG

Clicking on "Submit a ban appeal" takes me to the following page:https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/225146308

On that page I then clicked the hyperlink corresponding to "this form" and it took me to this form:

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=233187

Hopefully this helps!

Would operating behind a VPN such https://www.tunnelbear.com help? A review here: VPNs

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Ematrix

That email address is inactive and gives an automated response:

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Thanks for your interest in Pokémon GO. Your email (to pokemon-go-support@nianticlabs.com) has gone to an unmonitored inbox.

To reach the Niantic operations team and get support for Pokémon GO, please visit our help center (https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/) and select one of the contact options under "Submit a request' in the upper righthand corner.

I then attempted to contact them on their site but the "submit a request" section is just blank with no way to submit a request.

geogolem

on android you can e-mail niantic from the google play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticlabs.pokemongo

if you scroll to the bottom of that page you will see: 

pokemon-go-support@nianticlabs.com

Need Help? Let's chat.